Miniatures

General Starfire discussion, including information about old products and editions.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Miniatures

Postby Cralis on Tue 15 Mar 2011 12:32

Club wrote:Did I mention that I like train shops? I'm not interested in trains either. They're like toy stores for modelers.

Heh, one of my favorite stores over here is a modeling shop that covers everything from trains to plastic models to model rockets. Good stuff.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Otterman on Tue 15 Mar 2011 14:05

Behold:

Otterman
Captain
Captain

Postby Cralis on Tue 15 Mar 2011 15:23

You just keep making it better and better :)

Of course, seeing it up close and clearly has me thinking about the design technically. The first thing that struck me was wondering what all the grooves were for... I'm thinking shield emitters or something. :)

Can't wait to see the aft end added.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby aramis on Tue 15 Mar 2011 17:49

Keep in mind: your local guitar shop will often have broken strings. You might be able to get some at no charge that way.

(I used to manage a music shop.)
aramis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Club on Wed 16 Mar 2011 02:39

OK, I re-read my post, and thought up additional comments;

First, weather to use steel or brass/bronze is a personal choice and availability issue. Steel music wire is more rigid and cheaper, but harder to form and especially cut. You can make your own choices what you like to use

the drill vice I use is made by a company called zoma; their 37-140. Generally cheaper than the game company vices I mentioned, and better quality.

It pays to ask questions to the owners about what their other customers like. Like finding a good plastic cement. The difference between a professional quality cement (The stuff plumbers use to fuse pipe fittings) and the unspeakably useless crap that comes in squeeze tubes is night and day. Both in terms of ease of use, fusing power, and unfortunately, toxicity.
TAG: As I understand it, he sought to avoid turning one-point-six trillion Terran sophonts into undead, war-mongering super-soldiers.
Captain Tagon: It it wrong for me to think that would be pretty cool to watch?

http://www.schlockmercenary.com
Club
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Otterman on Wed 16 Mar 2011 07:17

Cralis wrote:Of course, seeing it up close and clearly has me thinking about the design technically. The first thing that struck me was wondering what all the grooves were for... I'm thinking shield emitters or something. :)

I dunno dude, that sort of thinking has a way of leading to disappointment.
Otterman
Captain
Captain

Postby Cralis on Wed 16 Mar 2011 09:08

Otterman wrote:
Cralis wrote:Of course, seeing it up close and clearly has me thinking about the design technically. The first thing that struck me was wondering what all the grooves were for... I'm thinking shield emitters or something. :)

I dunno dude, that sort of thinking has a way of leading to disappointment.

what do you mean?
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Otterman on Wed 16 Mar 2011 10:08

If I think too much about a particular design, sometimes the "it should have been that way" takes over, and nothing is ever satisfactory. Sorry, I'm just in a depressive state of mind today.

Next steps are to figure out the mold planes on the various pieces, determine how the subparts fit together, and place the mounting hole for the stand.
Otterman
Captain
Captain

Postby Cralis on Wed 16 Mar 2011 11:51

Otterman wrote:If I think too much about a particular design, sometimes the "it should have been that way" takes over, and nothing is ever satisfactory. Sorry, I'm just in a depressive state of mind today.

No no, that makes sense. You want to make the model as it is, not as you suddenly think it should be. I can see how that can get you, the modeler, into trouble!
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Otterman on Wed 16 Mar 2011 12:12

Here's the current state of affairs. The yellow parts are just placeholders until I figure out the more practical aspects of fabrication.

Otterman
Captain
Captain

PreviousNext

Return to General