Miniatures

General Starfire discussion, including information about old products and editions.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Miniatures

Postby Cralis on Tue 09 May 2017 02:06

I confess, I wasn't paying any attention to who's minis those were. I just saw them on the Star Ranger forum and thought "aha! that's what I was looking for as an example"
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Buckaroo13 on Wed 06 Sep 2017 15:10

First up: Otterman, great minis. I'm enjoying the models I've picked up from Shapeways so far.

Sadly most of the photo links in this awesome thread are dead, (Thanks Photobucket!) Is there artwork for other races CV/CVLs.

Regarding fighters I've ordered some from the Star Fleet battle range. I figures since the original fighter counters were used in both games originally it seemed somewhat fitting.
Buckaroo13
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby Otterman on Mon 25 Sep 2017 06:54

Thanks! Yeah, the photobucket thing was sad. I used to have a quarterly subscription, but I tired of paying money for their abysmal website. Most of the pictures can be found on the Facebook page, if that's any consolation.

Current plans are for a spherical TFN CT (underway now), then ES, then the Crusade era TFN CV. Page 48, I think?
Otterman
Captain
Captain

Postby nukesnipe on Mon 25 Sep 2017 06:57

Otterman wrote:Thanks! Yeah, the photobucket thing was sad. I used to have a quarterly subscription, but I tired of paying money for their abysmal website. Most of the pictures can be found on the Facebook page, if that's any consolation.

Current plans are for a spherical TFN CT (underway now), then ES, then the Crusade era TFN CV. Page 48, I think?

Yummy!
Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Captain
Captain

Postby Buckaroo13 on Mon 25 Sep 2017 13:27

Otterman wrote:Thanks! Yeah, the photobucket thing was sad. I used to have a quarterly subscription, but I tired of paying money for their abysmal website. Most of the pictures can be found on the Facebook page, if that's any consolation.

exciting news to round out the range. I was thinking of painting some Rigilian carriers as Terran, they have enought design similarities that I think they would mesh in pretty seamlessly but getting a Terran dedicated CV might be even better.
Buckaroo13
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby Cralis on Mon 25 Sep 2017 16:35

Buckaroo13 wrote:exciting news to round out the range. I was thinking of painting some Rigilian carriers as Terran, they have enought design similarities that I think they would mesh in pretty seamlessly but getting a Terran dedicated CV might be even better.

Did you realize the graphic icon you've selected for your avatar is from the carrier art that Otterman is going to use for the TFN carriers? ;)
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Buckaroo13 on Tue 26 Sep 2017 10:00

Cralis wrote:Did you realize the graphic icon you've selected for your avatar is from the carrier art that Otterman is going to use for the TFN carriers? ;)

I realized... after I looked at P.48 of Crusade :D

It's kind of a utilitarian design, I like the Rigellian better (invoking the original counter design), but I'm good for a couple at least. Can't let the Terrans fall behind in the arms race.
Buckaroo13
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby Cralis on Tue 26 Sep 2017 12:14

Buckaroo13 wrote:It's kind of a utilitarian design, I like the Rigellian better (invoking the original counter design),

I think a lot of players prefer the RSPA carrier designs because of the BSG vibes it gives...

And remember ALL races had the same silohuettes on their counters.

but I'm good for a couple at least. Can't let the Terrans fall behind in the arms race.

I think this is a great choice for the TFN CV. Humans are prone to utilitarian designs and the nose of the ship kind of reminds me of the weyland-yutani ships with all of those antennaes sticking out of the front.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Otterman on Thu 19 Oct 2017 07:05

Okey dokey! I've made a rough shape of the TFN CV to insure the volume is correct. Next I have to plan panel lines and the various gubbins.

I'll start with the assumption that the picture in Crusade is of a Wolfhound refit-B, which added a squadron and ECM3. This will be represented by the missing armor around the bays, wacky crap in the front, and the curved rear.

Accordingly, an original Wolfhound will have less wacky front stuff, a less-rounded behind, smaller fighter bays, and intact armor.

I note the lack of classic shield grid, and something should be decided. I can either add the grid to the top thus deviating from the picture, add it to the bottom, or make a new type of S1 shield generator and try to blend that into the picture.

The ISW-3 era CV (Independence, reserve fleet Essex) has one less squadron. That will definitely have an upper shield grid and CV bays sized appropriately.

No idea how to represent the Wa.

CV bay sizes will be consistent with RPSA bays, because that sort of thing entertains me.
Otterman
Captain
Captain

Postby Buckaroo13 on Thu 19 Oct 2017 10:28

Otterman wrote:Okey dokey! I've made a rough shape of the TFN CV to insure the volume is correct. Next I have to plan panel lines and the various gubbins.

I'll start with the assumption that the picture in Crusade is of a Wolfhound refit-B, which added a squadron and ECM3. This will be represented by the missing armor around the bays, wacky crap in the front, and the curved rear.

Accordingly, an original Wolfhound will have less wacky front stuff, a less-rounded behind, smaller fighter bays, and intact armor.

I note the lack of classic shield grid, and something should be decided. I can either add the grid to the top thus deviating from the picture, add it to the bottom, or make a new type of S1 shield generator and try to blend that into the picture.

Terran CV, that's exciting!

Personally I would vote on the side of adding the shield grid as it's so prominent in the other Terran models to date and gives it design consistency. either way though I'm excited to see what you come up with!
Buckaroo13
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

PreviousNext

Return to General