Information about the Rigellians

Discussions related to the official Classic Starfire history by David Weber and Steve White.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner, Starfire Authors

Information about the Rigellians

Postby buck_from_oz on Thu 07 Jun 2012 09:15

Hi guys

Just a post looking to get together as much infomation about the Rigellians because of a short story idea I've had for ages (well since reading that some had survived Directive 18) and want to write out. I've put it of because I was looking at more then just a shallow villian race type story and planned to gather all the stuff already written about them first so as to add not contradict. However it's gotten so that anything I start keeps reminding me I should be doing this. I'm not even sure who 'owns' them, David Weber I assume, but could be wrong. I barely recall them from may days back in the 80's playing SF so any suggestions on where to start looking would be appreiciated.

Regards Buck
buck_from_oz
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Re: Information about the Rigellians

Postby Cralis on Thu 07 Jun 2012 18:05

buck_from_oz wrote:I'm not even sure who 'owns' them, David Weber I assume, but could be wrong.

The official history belongs to David Weber and Steve White.

I barely recall them from may days back in the 80's playing SF so any suggestions on where to start looking would be appreciated.

The only sources for information are the supplements from CLASSIC STARFIRE, and the novels from David Weber. You're correct...during the Arachnid War, the Grand Alliance found two worlds with Rigellian survivors who had been bombed back to Pre-Ind. Other than it mentioning them, and saying that the Grand Alliance was torn over what to do with them besides keep watch, that is the last mention (at least, that I'm aware).

If you have some ideas for stories you're more than welcome to write fan fiction. :)
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Sun 01 Jul 2012 21:02

If I remember correctly, the 2 colonies had just entered the steam age but were just as xenophobic as always. Of course if you're writing fan fiction you could have the Arachnids find a Rigelian colony and wind up with a bad case of indigestion.
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby TerryTigre on Mon 02 Jul 2012 10:16

If i remember correctly, the Alliance did more than just watch, it also made sure their tech didnt go above steam age. Now this opens possibilities when the Rigellians try to enhance their tech, for example by building underground. Also, it is hard to contain ideas, they could develop the tech, but not build it, at least not in recognizable form.

It is going to be an uphill struggle for them though as the watchers are looking for signs of technological improvement.
Status: 26 types of tech system. Working on fleet tactics. Added b generation weapons, including G, Gb. Possible to give Ships Movement Orders. Working on SysGenV2
TerryTigre
Captain
Captain

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Tue 03 Jul 2012 04:42

Yes, it's hard to contain ideas. The problem is that many of those ideas and theories require a certain tech base. For example the understood the concept of elements. They had no knowledge of atomic theory, me goes for biology. Without the microscope they had no concept of the cell. Given the disparity in the tech base it's hard to see how the Rigellians could rediscover the scientific concepts without the alliance finding out.
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby PracticalM on Tue 03 Jul 2012 14:28

AlexeiTimoshenko wrote: Given the disparity in the tech base it's hard to see how the Rigellians could rediscover the scientific concepts without the alliance finding out.

Consider Deepness in the Sky as one possibility.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Deepness_in_the_Sky
--
Jeffrey Kessler
PracticalM
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Tue 03 Jul 2012 15:32

The real question is wether the the Rigellians are progressing like the Tangri after their interstellar war or stagnating. If they are stagnant then the threat is minimal short of doing something monumentally stupid such as sending a landing party down. If they are progressing no matter how slowly then there needs to be constant careful monitoring of the colonies.
Charles Rosenberg.

AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby buck_from_oz on Thu 12 Jul 2012 07:22

Hello guys

The initial story I'm interested in writing is about an official mission being sent to observe and examine the regressed Rigellians their society/culture. As well to report and make recommendations in the context of the Terrain/Theban war. If their Zenophobia is cultural/environmental and might be changed or inbuilt and simply a part of them that cannot be reformed. The end result could be anything from continued watching, planned intervention or completing the Directive.

The team is to be made up of both military and civilian experts, some (or most) with agendas and even personal 'history' dating back the the war. I also want to include some parts about the war both background and first person. Yes I know I could be biting off more then I can chew.

Initially its to begin with a short story that might become the prologue to a full story or novel. Some charactors have been fleshed out and a few scenes written but where it touches on the Rigellians it stalls as I want to be consistant but can't even find my old Starfire stuff to refresh my memory with that small amount of infomation. I have to say I seem to recall feeling that the Rigellians were based on the fanatical Japanese of WW2 and the battles similer to the fleet actions in the Pacific.
buck_from_oz
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Thu 12 Jul 2012 20:30

The Rigellian world view stems from their sharing their home planet with the Rozhark. The two species never were able to coexist. Since that time the Rigellians have viewed every sentient species no matter how primitive as a threat. Given that the lost colonies were only rediscovered during ISW-4, there would be very few humans with direct memory of ISW-3. There might be some mush mouthed lib-prog pols that would like to ease up on the Rigellians but I'd say that most of the fleet would prefer to nuke first and ask questions later.
Charles Rosenberg.

AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Needler on Mon 23 Jul 2012 19:39

A minor question, are you using the Rigelian articles from NEXUS #12 ?
Needler
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Next

Return to [Official] Classic Starfire History