Information about the Rigellians

Discussions related to the official Classic Starfire history by David Weber and Steve White.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner, Starfire Authors

Re: Information about the Rigellians

Postby Rigelian12 on Sat 11 Aug 2012 22:53

I have been wanting to write a scenario based ISW war using the Rigelians as inspiration.

Plot.

The introduction would be before the end of ISW-3, and the Rigelians set up a new homeworld in a different system.

This system has a closed warp point in a previously explored system. The Rigelians have a secert ally, who is willing

to help them with their conquest of space.
Rigelian12
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Cralis on Sat 11 Aug 2012 23:17

Rigelian12 wrote:I have been wanting to write a scenario based ISW war using the Rigelians as inspiration.

Plot.

The introduction would be before the end of ISW-3, and the Rigelians set up a new homeworld in a different system.

This system has a closed warp point in a previously explored system. The Rigelians have a secert ally, who is willing

to help them with their conquest of space.

Go for it :)

I don't see a question here...
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby buck_from_oz on Sun 12 Aug 2012 01:26

AlexeiTimoshenko wrote:The Rigellian world view stems from their sharing their home planet with the Rozhark. The two species never were able to coexist. Since that time the Rigellians have viewed every sentient species no matter how primitive as a threat. Given that the lost colonies were only rediscovered during ISW-4, there would be very few humans with direct memory of ISW-3. There might be some mush mouthed lib-prog pols that would like to ease up on the Rigellians but I'd say that most of the fleet would prefer to nuke first and ask questions later.

There is a difference between committing genocide after fighting a brutal no quarter war against a fanatical "victory or death" alien empire with technical parality that has casually butchered billions of your people and generations later exterminating primitives out of hand who's tech is at the steam/blackpowder age.

Yes there will be plenty saying that a couple of antimatter warheads would fix the problem, just like there will be some that admire the way every individual is willing to subvert themselves for the greater good of the race etc etc etc. But there will be others saying it they don't at least try and findout if the Rigellians can be helped or changed before the bombs start falling on a helpless enemy especially after the "Thebans" then they maybe starting down the same path. Thats the initial short story I want to do, if it comes out ok then expanding it to a full novel would be on the cards.

The reason I am interested in finding as much about the Rigellians as possible is because I want to include references and scenes about the war as well. Admittadly it is my story and if it is just for fan consumption I can write whatever the hell I want I would prefer not to. My brother took all the SF stuff and Nexus mags after I went off with the Army so if anyone has anything they can scan to email me I would be happy to give any renumeration for your time spent or even purchase the originals.
buck_from_oz
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Postby Cralis on Sun 12 Aug 2012 02:01

Let me give ya'll a secret. What is in Stars at War (the CLASSIC STARFIRE supplement) is pretty much all there is to be known about the Rigellians. If you want to write some fan fiction about an alternative story line concept... then do it! Weber's history is already gone and done, I'm sure STARFIRE players will be interested in your new story concept.

Especially if you include scenarios :)

Just because we can't publish alterations to Weber's official history doesn't mean you can't write fan fiction and post it here on the board. I think you should... we've all done it a time or two. I think both of you have had some interesting story ideas. Now go write them!
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Sun 12 Aug 2012 05:17

buck_from_oz wrote:There is a difference between committing genocide after fighting a brutal no quarter war against a fanatical "victory or death" alien empire with technical parality that has casually butchered billions of your people and generations later exterminating primitives out of hand who's tech is at the steam/blackpowder age.

Given the Rigellians previous history of exterminating primitives, it's hard to see the fleet wanting to let the genie out of the bottle. It's not only the Terrans that would share this view. The Ophiuchi had to deal with the Losoti revolt of 2165. Granted it's not quite as extreme an example but as a fleet commander I wouldn't want to see an implacable hostile race get access to advanced technology and then disappear to parts unknown.
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Needler on Mon 13 Aug 2012 19:23

Cralis wrote:Let me give ya'll a secret. What is in Stars at War (the CLASSIC STARFIRE supplement) is pretty much all there is to be known about the Rigellians.

Does this mean the Nexus #12 articles are unofficial ? I always thought they were the official writeup and Stars at War was based off them. (I have both)
Needler
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Mon 13 Aug 2012 19:42

Not at all. If I remember correctly the timeline was incorporated into ISF. SaW just has the vast majority of the combat where the Rlgellians didn't have an effective walkover.
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Cralis on Mon 13 Aug 2012 23:45

Alexei has it right. My point was that 95% of what is known about the Rigellians is in Stars at War. There really isn't much in any of the other supplements, novels, etc. I'd have to look at the dates on Nexus #12 and SAW to see which came first (I think SAW did).

The only other supplement that has anything about the Rigellians was ISW4.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Tue 14 Aug 2012 05:02

Nexus 12 goes back to 1985. The articles are written based on 1st or 2nd edition rules. The background though is all classic Weber/White.
Charles Rosenberg.

AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Needler on Tue 14 Aug 2012 23:21

Cralis wrote:I'd have to look at the dates on Nexus #12 and SAW to see which came first (I think SAW did).

My SAW is '93, and Nexus #12 is '85.

I see what you mean though, most of the combat relevant data is in SAW, and detailed background is in Nexus #12.
Needler
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

PreviousNext

Return to [Official] Classic Starfire History