Introducing: The History of the Terran Solar Union

Official STARFIRE history based on ULTRA STARFIRE! We are just getting started, so come inside and see the teaser. More on the STARFIRE Stories Page

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Introducing: The History of the Terran Solar Union

Postby Cralis on Thu 30 Jul 2009 17:49

If you haven't already read the announcement, this fiction series is a newly announced addition for ULTRA STARFIRE. The History of the Terran Solar Union is a brand new history written by the SDS, using ULTRA STARFIRE, and is considered a new official history.

The TSU history will not replace Weber's CLASSIC STARFIRE history. It stands alone as the ULTRA STARFIRE history and all future supplements will be based on it.

But...why?

Fair question. When Marvin Lamb bought STARFIRE from Task Force Games, the rights to David Weber's CLASSIC STARFIRE history were not very clear. As part of an agreement with David Weber, Marvin agreed not to use any of his fictional materials or make any modifications to the existing history. Marvin is taking it one step further: the ULTRA STARFIRE materials will not include, influence, or contain any of Weber's history.

What about COSMIC STARFIRE?

Fred Burton is the original creator of the Star Union. As such, he has legitimate rights to continue working on the Star Union history, and is doing so with COSMIC STARFIRE. But that is not why we are here in this sub-forum. He will get his own sub-forum when he is ready to release materials for COSMIC STARFIRE.

Ok. So tell me more.

The History of the Terran Solar Union (aka TSU) is a brand new history with a completely different universe. If you hop over to the STARFIRE Stories Page you can find the newly released teaser story, and the basics of the TSU and its history are presented there.

TSU history will start from the beginning of Humanity's reach into the stars. The story is eerily similar to real life, but we've asked a few "what if this happened" questions and made an entirely new history. And there are some secret plans for the history: since Alkeda Dawn is not part of the official Weber history, you can expect to see it make an appearance in some form in the TSU history.

I don't want to ruin the surprises in store, so you'll have to wait for more releases. But expect supplements and additional material to come from this as well as fiction. We will be using short stories to introduce various parts of the history, and releasing longer pieces of fiction as the history moves along.

You know, you write like a noob.

Yes, but I'm finally beginning to write. I've wanted to write for years, but I've always had an excuse not to start. Now that I'm back in school I'm trying to take some extra classes on writing, and Fred is a grammar nazi so he has made a pretty good editor.

As for the story, all of the SDS members are bouncing ideas around and talking about where this will go, and I will definitely be watching everyone's comments on the storyline and how to improve the fiction. Either late this fall or early winter we'll be making some supplements available online for both the history and for STARFIRE in general, so please let me know if you think something didn't work, or any other comment or idea you want to drop our way.

Marvin Lamb is behind this, isn't he?

Actually no. He has authorized the rest of the SDS to work collaboratively on this project. He has final authority, of course, and his editing skills will be a welcome help, but this project was created by, and is driven by SDS members only. I proposed the new history and storyline, built it up, and collaborated with Fred and Larry before getting Marvin's approval. We aren't going to pretend we are David Weber, his works will continue to be the bedrock of CLASSIC STARFIRE. We just like good stories like everyone else, and felt that ULTRA desperately needed one!

Is that it?

No. But you'll just have to wait and see what happens! <VBG>
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Re: Introducing: The History of the Terran Solar Union

Postby Otterman on Tue 10 Nov 2009 10:47

Cralis wrote: since Alkeda Dawn is not part of the official Weber history, you can expect to see it make an appearance in some form in the TSU history.

I love you, man!

Otterman
Captain
Captain

Postby Cralis on Wed 11 Nov 2009 01:17

I'm with you - I really liked the Vestrii history and all that went with it. It won't appear until about halfway through the current TSU timeline... but it is coming and we have some really nifty new surprises I think you'll like!

PS. That is a really nifty graphic. What did you use to make the graphics for your models?
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Otterman on Wed 11 Nov 2009 08:40

Moment of Inspiration (MoI), www.moi3d.com.

It's a surprisingly cheap and intuitive modelling program, compared to the others.
Otterman
Captain
Captain

Postby Cralis on Wed 11 Nov 2009 16:29

Wow looks cool. As a returning university student it will be a little bit before I can afford it!

But I haven't done any attempts at 3D modeling in almost 10 years. I have, however, been trying my hand at art against to do my own illustrations. I don't have any on computer yet but I'm going to probably scan them for use with the stories...right now they are based on the counters and stuff from Ultra. But I plan on expanding as I go along.

Too much I want to do! Not enough time *sigh* I pay real money for an extra 12 hours in the day, or at least a magic pill so I didn't have to sleep.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby BillW on Mon 16 Nov 2009 18:49

Cralis wrote:Too much I want to do! Not enough time *sigh* I pay real money for an extra 12 hours in the day, or at least a magic pill so I didn't have to sleep.

One of the immutable Laws of the Universe is that there is never enough time!
I agree, I would love to be able to give up big time wasters like sleeping ;)
Last edited by BillW on Tue 17 Nov 2009 18:59, edited 1 time in total.
BillW
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby PracticalM on Tue 17 Nov 2009 08:26

I can recall a bar conversation where people wouldn't want to live forever and I was like you're crazy I have so many things I want to do, I need to live forever just so I can do them.

I have more things I want to do then will fit in 3 lifetimes.
--
Jeffrey Kessler
PracticalM
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Cralis on Tue 17 Nov 2009 11:58

Amen.

PS. And even if I could figure out a way to fit it all into my lifetime, I'm pretty sure I'll come up with new things while I'm doing those!
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Return to [SDS] History of the Terran Solar Union