History Page

Official STARFIRE history based on ULTRA STARFIRE! We are just getting started, so come inside and see the teaser. More on the STARFIRE Stories Page

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Re: History Page

Postby Cirdan on Wed 09 Feb 2011 02:27

Cralis wrote:
- The map 2050 includes EZ Aquarii (which then has to be 1 of the 4 new star systems surveyed 2040-2050, the other 3 being YZ Ceti, Wolf 359 and Tau Ceti). The history entry for 2058 includes: "A third warp point is found in the Sol System, and it opens up to a set of star systems that are particularly rich in habitable worlds." This has to be EZ Aquirii. So, is 2040-50 or 2058 correct?

Actually, the first five systems surveyed are: YZ Ceti, Proxima Centauri, Alpha Centauri, Wolf 359, and Tau Ceti. The WP to EZ Aquarii was not discovered until a third re-survey in 2058, and is the sixth system surveyed.

Remember in ULTRA there is a chance that a WP will be "missed" during a survey. That is exactly what happened here.

Well, then the 2050 map should actually be the 2058 map ;)

- Not necessarily inconsistent, but I believe the discovery of the Cyrcurra should be about 2 decades earlier... it's the next system in the "set of star systems that are particularly rich in habitable worlds" after EZ Aquarii, it seems unlikely that this world was only found in 2078, especially considering that there are 7 systems behind 61 Cygni still to be found & surveyed until 2086. Alternatively, you could change the concealed/open direction of the 61 Cygni - EZ Aquarii and the Tau Ceti-van Maanens Star warp connections, which would put 61 Cygni pretty much at the end of the line, but this also cuts off a lot of the habitable worlds until relatively late in the history.

The WP to 61 Cygni was not discovered until 2078. And what isn't written in the history, is that 61 Cygnia was discovered from Altair as the WP in EZ Aquarii was missed during the first two surveys. There are some parts of the history (like this) that will become more evident after I get time to make the new TSU and SNN pages and start adding pieces of the history to them.

- Apropros concealed warp points: most of them are missing in the systems list.

I just looked, and I didn't see any "undiscovered" WPs on the list. If I missed one please point it out! There is a LOT more stuff on the master map and I checked two or three times to make sure I didn't accidentally make stuff visible that hasn't been discovered at the given time period!

Marvin hasn't gotten around to sending me the rules I ordered yet, I recently stumbled upon the game via the books, so maybe I'm getting something wrong, but what I mean is that in the systems list, the Warp Points in YZ Ceti and Eltainen have "Vis C". In the map, there are 2 dashes in the connection for those 2 warp points. There's a number of other such points in the map, all of those are missing in the systems list (61 Cygni->EZ Aquarii, Tau Ceti->van Maanens Star, Epsilon Eridani -> Tau Ceti, 40 Eridani -> DX Cancri, Wolf 294 -> Epsilon Eridani). I thought all of those were "Vis C" and had to be discovered from the open end, in which case 61 Ceti would have had to be discovered from EZ Aquarii, maybe that's wrong, but the warp points are definitely missing in the list.

And I just noticed that the systems list for Epsilon Eridani has a Warp Point to 84 Eridani, should be to Wolf 294 according to the map.
Cirdan
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Postby Cralis on Wed 09 Feb 2011 03:17

Cirdan wrote:
Cralis wrote:Actually, the first five systems surveyed are: YZ Ceti, Proxima Centauri, Alpha Centauri, Wolf 359, and Tau Ceti. The WP to EZ Aquarii was not discovered until a third re-survey in 2058, and is the sixth system surveyed.

Remember in ULTRA there is a chance that a WP will be "missed" during a survey. That is exactly what happened here.

Well, then the 2050 map should actually be the 2058 map ;)

Hmmm. I'll have to uh, take a look at that :shock:

Marvin hasn't gotten around to sending me the rules I ordered yet,

Don't worry, I'm guessing you ordered about the same time you got on the forum. Marvin should be getting back with you really soon. It is partially my fault, I've been so busy I haven't had time to stand-up the digital downloads yet... or else you'd have already had the chance to download the files instead of waiting for Marvin to send them. I'm hoping to get to that this weekend actually.

I recently stumbled upon the game via the books

David Weber's books? Those books are old enough that I don't think our website is listed in any of them. For the purposes of me knowing what is working, how did you find us?

so maybe I'm getting something wrong, but what I mean is that in the systems list, the Warp Points in YZ Ceti and Eltainen have "Vis C". In the map, there are 2 dashes in the connection for those 2 warp points. There's a number of other such points in the map, all of those are missing in the systems list (61 Cygni->EZ Aquarii, Tau Ceti->van Maanens Star, Epsilon Eridani -> Tau Ceti, 40 Eridani -> DX Cancri, Wolf 294 -> Epsilon Eridani). I thought all of those were "Vis C" and had to be discovered from the open end, in which case 61 Ceti would have had to be discovered from EZ Aquarii, maybe that's wrong, but the warp points are definitely missing in the list.

In ULTRA STARFIRE Visibility is rated as Open, Concealed, Hidden, Secret, Top Secret, and Undisclosed. Each requires more advanced science instruments to find them. Open can be found with SL1 X, but Concealed can only be found with SL3 X. Hidden requires SL10 X. Etc.

The reason you see so many concealed visibility WPs is because the survey ships enters the WP link on the open side and came out the concealed side, and found the concealed end by actually transiting through it. At that point in the history they wouldn't be able to find it with standard WP surveys.

The reason the TSU was able to find the WP to Van Maaenen's Star is that they pushed their research and development for X out to SL3 while still EL1 and were able to develop and build the next generation of science instruments (X). Right after 2086 there is another round of surveys that finds more Vis C WPs hiding in already known systems :) The discovery of several alien races in fairly quick succession caused (in the storyline) the TSU to slow down surveying temporarily.

In ULTRA the rate of surveying is a LOT faster. Not only is the TSU history slower by a factor of 10, but as a player you can choose to survey as fast as possible. In the TSU story there are several times when the TSU slows down surveying because they want to research or study something before moving on, like humans are in real life.

And I just noticed that the systems list for Epsilon Eridani has a Warp Point to 84 Eridani, should be to Wolf 294 according to the map.

Actually that is completely wrong. It links to DX Cancri, and the Wolf 359 link goes to Wolf 294.

After your above comments on the Vis C WPs being missing, I went back and checked the document... you're right, I completely stripped the Vis C WPs that SHOULD be known. I don't know why I did that, but I'll get that fixed and back up tomorrow with all the right information.

I'm beginning to wonder if I uploaded the document before I was finished or something. Who knows.

Thank you for keeping me on my toes!
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Cirdan on Wed 09 Feb 2011 04:10

Cralis wrote:
I recently stumbled upon the game via the books

David Weber's books? Those books are old enough that I don't think our website is listed in any of them. For the purposes of me knowing what is working, how did you find us?

I got the ebooks from the Mission of Honor CD (Stars at War 1 and 2 and Exodus). Got here via wikipedia, which I usually look up for series like this for background infos.
Cirdan
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Previous

Return to [SDS] History of the Terran Solar Union