Sierra Two Two: Chapter 6 (Final Chapter)

Official STARFIRE history based on ULTRA STARFIRE! We are just getting started, so come inside and see the teaser. More on the STARFIRE Stories Page

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Re: Sierra Two Two: Chapter 6 (Final Chapter)

Postby SCC on Sun 24 Mar 2013 20:56

Cralis wrote:
SCC wrote:On that note: What is their Habitability range and is it different to Humans? Opening a world to colonization by them would be a good way to get rid of those dissidents as well, a win for everybody.

Earth is HI 3 and Soffran is HI 7. You can find that data in the star charts linked at the bottom of the history page at http://www.starfiredesign.com/starfire/ ... ra/tsu.php

Is there a reason why the second WP in Pollux hasn't been probed yet? Are/Were they waiting on the completion in the hopes that a fleet base could be built there in order to reduce the costs of further exploration?

Cralis wrote:
SCC wrote:Finally, it obvious that you're using decompression in the campaign to simulate the TSU but what rules are you using for it?

I've actually been tweaking the decompression concepts and had been working with Krenshala (he's using decompression in his J'Rill campaign). We started with the idea that each year would be one year of units moving but only one month of production (that is the approximate compression Marvin put into GSF & Ultra). Then we altered the different rates and values depending upon how the game flowed.

All that to say we are still tweaking it... but I will probably write an entire article about it when I get it working the way I want it!

Is maintenance decompressed as well or have the effective costs of maintaining ships sky rocketed?
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Cralis on Sun 24 Mar 2013 22:24

SCC wrote:Is there a reason why the second WP in Pollux hasn't been probed yet? Are/Were they waiting on the completion in the hopes that a fleet base could be built there in order to reduce the costs of further exploration?

I haven't put enough information (or stories...yet) out there for everyone to get a feel for how the Solar Union thinks in a strategic sense. They tend to be pretty cautious about moving forward, trying to tackle one challenge at a time unless resources permit them to do more. I'd have to check the notes (as the campaign hasn't caught up with that year quite yet, but I think they are doing additional surveys before moving on.

Cralis wrote:
SCC wrote:Finally, it obvious that you're using decompression in the campaign to simulate the TSU but what rules are you using for it?

I've actually been tweaking the decompression concepts and had been working with Krenshala (he's using decompression in his J'Rill campaign). We started with the idea that each year would be one year of units moving but only one month of production (that is the approximate compression Marvin put into GSF & Ultra). Then we altered the different rates and values depending upon how the game flowed.

All that to say we are still tweaking it... but I will probably write an entire article about it when I get it working the way I want it!

Is maintenance decompressed as well or have the effective costs of maintaining ships sky rocketed?

Costs are not changed. This reduces the amount of money available to spend, keeping the game smaller. It is one of the main reasons to do it.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby DMarcus7 on Fri 26 Apr 2013 15:12

Cralis:

Awesome fiction - I was hooked immediately and read all six chapters at work. I've only been part of this community for a short time, but during that time I realized that there were books out there backing up the Starfire Interludes that I have spent many an evening reading. (I assumed there were books out there, I just never thought to look for them.) I have ordered copies of In Death Ground and The Shiva Option (The Arachnids are great bad guys!) and look forward to reading the full stories. I also bought copies for a friend of mine who used to spend those afternoons with me way-back-when playing StarFire. Keep up the great work!
DMarcus7
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Postby Cralis on Sat 27 Apr 2013 02:31

Thank you.

I'm a rather new writer and have struggled to find time to finish the second short story... I'm no where near the qualify of writer (yet!) that are David Weber, Steve White, and Charles Gannon! But I'll keep working on it. I have a whole new history that needs to be told :)

Anyway, if you haven't looked at our introduction page at http://www.starfiredesign.com/starfire/introduction/ you might do that. Steve White and Charles Gannon have continued the CLASSIC STARFIRE history with Exodus and Extremis. And you haven't looked on the forum for the CLASSIC STARFIRE history at viewforum.php?f=26, you should -- we have a Q&A session with Steve White and Charles Gannon about Extremis and they told us a secret.... at least it was back then. They are writing a third book! It's already been announced and there is more information over there.

Anyway, more for SOLAR STARFIRE in the near future. You'll hear more when we get close to releasing more materials.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Previous

Return to [SDS] History of the Terran Solar Union