Terran Empire Saga - Epilogue

Fiction by Jeff Offringa

Moderator: MrLemurBoy

Terran Empire Saga - Epilogue

Postby MrLemurBoy on Thu 08 Sep 2011 20:24

All stories need something to wrap them up. The Terran Empire Saga is no exception.

Here is the Epilogue

It should have been posted sooner, my apologies.

http://bit.ly/oPHvKw

We hope you enjoyed the story!
MrLemurBoy
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Re: Terran Empire Saga - Epilogue

Postby Cralis on Thu 08 Sep 2011 23:07

No problem, glad to see it finally make it.

Question: maybe I'm just daft, but is this the last of all the SF stories or is he going to dive into something new?
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Terran Author on Mon 26 Sep 2011 16:02

OK, The epilouge.

Sigh. :)

A little bit of explanation: When the campaign ended, my good friend "THe Proto Male" and I were having a discussion about whether or not we would have nuked the Brit'laa out of existance. As a nearly hard and fast rule, I don't like nuking races - even in game it bothers me (I guess that comes from being a history teacher by training)

Now, though, The Proto Male had no such complunctions, and clearly stated he would do so. He also stated that he would break our alliance to do so - even if it meant another war with me (What can I say - we really, really role played this. And he was pretty pissed at the Brit'laa for a couple back-stabs by then as well... :twisted: )

Then the campaign ended as The ProtoMale moved back to NJ and the Jo'pak player moved to Indiana - leaving the resolution up in the air.

THe epilouge reflects this. The Protomale and I discussed this - "what would happen?" I was trying to figure out how to wrap the story up when he gave me the idea I went with - "Have it be up in the air, recorded as one of the Admiral's memoirs, with the fate of the Brit'laa undecided..."

Brilliant. :)

As to if this is the end, yes. But like any good author, I leave myself open for sequels. It's just that anything further I write would still be fan fic, and 'm trying to sell my own writing...

So...does anyone know what the legal status of a fan fic is? Could I sell this (or any sequels) and get paid for it, or it the fact that it is based on a campaign of game mean that it is part and parcel of Starfire? Just wondering...

JMO
"Overkill is under-rated." - Col. Hannibal Smith
Terran Author
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby Cralis on Wed 28 Sep 2011 00:06

Terran Author wrote:As to if this is the end, yes. But like any good author, I leave myself open for sequels. It's just that anything further I write would still be fan fic, and 'm trying to sell my own writing...

So...does anyone know what the legal status of a fan fic is? Could I sell this (or any sequels) and get paid for it, or it the fact that it is based on a campaign of game mean that it is part and parcel of Starfire? Just wondering...

I'm not sure exactly where it stands legally, and would probably depend upon how much of the creative works in STARFIRE you have in your stories (such as the specific rules and technologies that make STARFIRE unique).

HOWEVER, we have had a number of people over the last year asking Marvin about making deals to market their stories as Starfire-system stories and IMHO he only asks for a very marginal royalty and an option to create scenario books out of the material (if the author doesn't want to do that as well).

And while we obviously don't do much marketing, I've suggested before that perhaps we can do print-on-demand and e-book publishing (which we are getting into with our next products) along with our digital publishing.

Email him and ask: marvin@starfiredesign.com
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Return to Terran Empire Saga