Who's here?

Every discussion that doesn't have a home gets thrown into the Starless Void. Posters included.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

More than likely if your thread got moved, it got moved here. It is highly unlikely that a topic in the starless void can attain enough velocity to escape this sub-forum's event horizon.

Re: Who's here?

Postby mcb1968 on Sun 22 Dec 2013 21:20

AlexeiTimoshenko wrote:Mike, I got your FB post. Starfire at Shore Leave 35 is going to be open gaming. We don't have the space in the gaming room to actually schedule events. With any luck I'll have a suitable rectangular table for the bulk of the afternoons. Evenings tend to get busier as we may have RPG's, CCG's, board games, minis and more running at one time.

Hey Alexi, did you ever do an AAR on the game or games at Shore Leave? Any pictures for the FB group or here?
mcb1968
Commander
Commander

Postby Cralis on Sun 22 Dec 2013 21:59

mcb1968 wrote:
AlexeiTimoshenko wrote:Mike, I got your FB post. Starfire at Shore Leave 35 is going to be open gaming. We don't have the space in the gaming room to actually schedule events. With any luck I'll have a suitable rectangular table for the bulk of the afternoons. Evenings tend to get busier as we may have RPG's, CCG's, board games, minis and more running at one time.

Hey Alexi, did you ever do an AAR on the game or games at Shore Leave? Any pictures for the FB group or here?

I've been waiting for the same. None of you guys doing games got back to us with information for Marvin's offer, either.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Caplin on Thu 15 May 2014 10:36

Hi All,

I'm Caplin, AKA Zack, a college student and general nerd who happens to be totally blind since birth. I stumbled onto mention of StarFire in reference to the computer game Aurora, which is in some ways an homage to Classic. I've read most of David Weber's novels, Starfire and otherwise, and look forward to the chance to game out some engagements in that particular style.

Other than gaming and literature of all kinds, my passions include computing, any kind of food, and, improbably enough, ballroom dance, especially the waltz. :) I'm glad to be here.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were, but without it we go nowhere.
Caplin
Commander
Commander

Postby RandyT0001 on Fri 26 Dec 2014 09:31

Name: Randy Tyler

I was seven when Neil made his infamous stroll. I started gaming with Monopoly, Life, and Billionaire three years later. Added Chess a year later. Bought first model rocket through mail order, Estes X-ray. Kursk, by SPI was my first non-abstract wargame received for Christmas ’75. More wargames. The Squad Leader series was my first wargame moneypit, ending up with two copies of SL, CoI, and CoD, and one of GI:AoV. Finally got to fly my rocket. Got very ticked off at AH for not printing the point values in GI:AoV followed by abandonment of the entire series for ASL. Bye-Bye. Bought SF I, II, III, and SF 2ed and NE. Loved it! (No players :cry: ) Bought SFB folios etc. etc. Loved it! (No players :cry: ) UGH! Rocket gets trashed. Replaced said SL moneypit with a new one: D&D, AD&D, AD&D2ed series. The “pestilence” M:tG appears and RPG’s takes a nose-dive locally. Wait a minute, how much money have I spent on this and WoC wants to rework everything for AD&D3rd? NOT!!

See a program on Discovery channel about high power rockets. Drop gaming. Build and fly rockets. Ol’ D&D buddy calls wanting to play some board games. Return to boardgames and wargames. Search the internet for some old favorites and woo-hoo, Starfire! SF 3rd editon (your “Classic”) seems complicated with a (IMO) overly involved tech - research tree. Prefer SF 2ed and New Empires and am waiting on online release of NE.

No wife. No children. No military service. Work at USPS. (Don’t complain to me I’m not your mailman. ®™©)
RandyT0001
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Postby procyon on Fri 26 Dec 2014 20:22

Hey Randy. Welcome (back) to Starfire.

Been in some of the same buckets as you. Model rockets, pile of SPI games, and all the early SF baggies.
Even DM'd a lot of D&D, loooonnnggg ago.
Barely did the Magic thing. Never got hooked though.

If you think 3e is a bit complicated, then the current Solar Starfire rules may be a bit daunting.
It's a good game, but it has come a looonnngg way also.
Kind of like the difference between the early baggie type SFB and what it is now.

You can still get the old rules though if that is the cup of tea you are looking for.
...and I will show you fear in a handful of dust....

Cralis wrote:I would point out that the "what was" which is different from "here and now" can easily change in the "future then."
procyon
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

Postby RandyT0001 on Fri 26 Dec 2014 20:54

I did not play Magic. I saw right off that it was a moneypit game, "collectible card game". I was not willing to spend $$ for packs of twenty cards every other month to add to a basic deck then lose them in gameplay.

I bought Ultra SF and it's on the comp right now but it is complicated. What would really help me would be two diagrams of the tech tree (like the one they put in the old computer Civilization 1, 2, 3 etc. games). One diagram of the basic items and another with all of the stems (of individual units based on TL and or EL) from the main systems (energy weapons, engines, missile weapons, etc.) branches. If I had that it would help seeing the relationships and selecting which tech units to incorporate into my games.
RandyT0001
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Postby procyon on Fri 26 Dec 2014 21:34

RandyT0001 wrote:I bought Ultra SF and it's on the comp right now but it is complicated.

It is.
Most of the games my family and I have played used Ultra. The biggest help for us was to simply print out the rules into a binder. Was kind of a pain and pricey, but it helped us. We only had one computer and having everyone sharing it to read rules just wasn't going to work. (Especially since the computer was in the master bedroom.)

We never actually laid out the trees/branches/twigs on paper. Folks just pretty much figured out what was what by trial and error. And fitted it to the type of game they liked to play.

Everyone in our group pretty much got nicknamed by how they played and what trees they favored. My wife is the 'Missile Queen.' The oldest boy was 'Laser death'. The oldest girl was the 'Piratess'. The middle boy is, and will always be, 'The Sledge'. I have always been the (expletive deleted) Game Master...
The two youngest kids will doubtless get 'dubbed' in the upcoming game where we will try out Solar for the first time in a 'full fledged' campaign game (as we have run a couple trails, some covering quite a bit of time).
...and I will show you fear in a handful of dust....

Cralis wrote:I would point out that the "what was" which is different from "here and now" can easily change in the "future then."
procyon
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

Postby PracticalM on Sat 27 Dec 2014 11:36

The tech diagrams would be much more complex than Civilization which is basically a set of parallel technology items.

ULTRA trees are much harder to display graphically.

The closest thing to help create a visual record would be a spreadsheet with tech level down the side and systems across. this would still be pretty unwieldy.

The best solution I've seen for deciding what you want on your ships is to have a list of systems you want to have and mark them off as your research is completed so you know when that ship can be built.
PracticalM
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Cralis on Sat 27 Dec 2014 12:47

There was an attempt to do this for GALACTIC STARFIRE and we put it in our downloads. Most people didn't like it due to the complex nature making it hard to read, but it's very similar to the Tech Trees for ULTRA so it may help you. Or perhaps inspire you. I always find that making things like this myself helps me to understand them.

http://www.starfiredesign.com/starfire/ ... .php?id=17

You really should peruse the downloads section. There are a number of cool little things in there that players have submitted.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Kargaroth on Wed 11 Feb 2015 20:48

I've been gone from this forum since 2012 so I thought I'd reintroduce myself.

My name is Dave Elliott, I'm 23, and I still live in Oklahoma. I'm no longer a college student. I also Still haven't figured Galactic STARFIRE out. I am however trying my hand at writing a Module for STARFIRE 2nd edition, which is tentatively titled BRUSHFIRE and covers land combat. I may never finish this project but I'm sure it'll be a learning experience (and possibly a big headache).
Working on BRUSHFIRE a tactical ground combat module for use with the 1984 STARFIRE box set.
Kargaroth
Midshipman 2nd Class
Midshipman 2nd Class

PreviousNext

Return to The Starless Void