Who's here?

Every discussion that doesn't have a home gets thrown into the Starless Void. Posters included.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

More than likely if your thread got moved, it got moved here. It is highly unlikely that a topic in the starless void can attain enough velocity to escape this sub-forum's event horizon.

Who's here?

Postby Crucis on Tue 14 Jul 2009 20:31

Ok, I'm gonna start this thread.

I'm Crucis, aka Fred Burton, creator of the Star Union, and Lead Designer of Cosmic Starfire. I only joined the SF list less than a couple of years ago... so I'm not an old time "SF List" person.... I'm worse... I'm an old-time Dave Weber associate ... a person who helped out on 2nd and 3rd editions, added a couple of tech systems here and there, assisted Dave heavily on ISW4 ... created the Star Union, the Zarkolyan Empire, the ship designs for the Star Union, Zarkolyans, and the Bugs (yes, including some of the "bad" designs)... I'm also the Creator of the Pitariad, a race that if you've read Dave Weber's Starfire novel "The Shiva Option" and seen the Star Union map at the front of the book, to whom there's a vague reference.

And now I'm back and working on Cosmic Starfire....

So who else is here? If you're using a handle that may not be familiar to old SF List hands, let us know who you are!

And welcome to the new SDS Website and Forum!!! :mrgreen:
Crucis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Re: Who's here?

Postby Cralis on Tue 14 Jul 2009 23:00

I'm pretty sure everyone knows me, but I'll bite. I'm Matthew Olson, aka Cralis. I've been on the list since 1996, and after volunteering to help with 3R, I ended up working directly for Marvin in 2000-2001 helping to build and publish Galactic Starfire (4E). After that I did a couple tours around the great sandbox and returned to go back to school. I'm currently studying Computer Science and I'm working with emergency radio communications.

Oh yeah, and I'm both playing and working on Starfire!

I look forward to really getting back into the community and I believe that our collaborative efforts can make Starfire even better. I've had the opportunity to converse with Fred some and I'm really excited about Cosmic bringing back the Weber history and the 3E players, and I'm really excited about moving forward with Ultra and all the new ideas that have been put on the table.

Now if only I could be as funny as Todd...
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby BillW on Wed 15 Jul 2009 05:11

I'm Bill Wells AKA BillW; so I can't come up with the cool names that other folk do ;)
I started playing Starfire in the 3rd edition days and was on the GEnie discussion board back in the day. I did some playtesting for 3rdR and made some contributions to the Galactic and Ultra versions of Starfire. I also wrote the GSF Utilities (in C++ for those who care about such things). I haven't been very active in Starfire for the last few years, but I have some more free time now. I had just dusted off my GSF Utilities code and was thinking of upgrading them to the Ultra rules (using C#) when I saw the announcement for this new site.
I am very excited and thrilled to see this new beginning for Starfire. I will take this opportunity to volunteer to help Starfire succeed in any way that I can.
BillW
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Dawn Falcon on Wed 15 Jul 2009 07:02

Hi, Dawn Falcon here.

The first David Weber book I read was In Death Ground. From there I went onto his other books, and one day I was wondering if there was a game system associated with Starfire. Turns out there was :D.

I've been involved with the making of the UTM, Elite, Ultra and now Cosmic Starfire.
Last edited by Dawn Falcon on Thu 24 Nov 2011 07:27, edited 2 times in total.
Dawn Falcon
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Xveers on Wed 15 Jul 2009 19:59

Hi!

I'm Sylvester Wrzesinski aka Xveers. I do the deWulf campaign as well as maintain, kind of, a excel spreadsheet that lets players run ULTRA campaigns in the comfort of their own home. I'm also working on some other support excel stuff, and I have a few other bits and pieces bubbling away (like having a friend of mine try to figure out what makes the old shipyard software so clottin' finicky on install and operation). I've also done a re-write of a small Khanate adventure that was published in the Nexus magazine "The Drolian Campaign" that's essensially done as well, but I'm not sure what else to do with it. Lastly, I'm also plotting (a long-term project) to try to duct tape together a fuller understanding of the classic universe and create ship designs that mimic classic TFN/KON/OADC/etc in 4e.

Trivia: Did you know the original shipyard software was written for Windows 3.1?
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby PracticalM on Wed 15 Jul 2009 21:34

This is Jeffrey Kessler, I've been playing Starfire and running campaigns since the original small book series. I've played pretty much every version of Starfire. I was heavily involved in GSF including running one of the playtest campaigns.

I have run a number of campaigns but both local and online players (using the spreadsheets). I've written a few tools for my own use including building an incomplete version of a Vassel counter set. <http://family.aveta.org/Starfire_v.66.zip> is the latest copy.

I'm not currently running any campaigns mostly because I've been insanely busy with my work (I make children's software for Knowledge Adventure - see www.jumpstart.com if you have kids 3-10) and am in the process of releasing a Wii game.

I hope that I can run a campaign that starts sometime this year. There was a great idea from the Mailing List that I want to adapt for my own campaign. I have mostly used excel spreadsheets to run campaigns.
--
Jeffrey Kessler
PracticalM
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby krenshala on Wed 15 Jul 2009 22:31

krenshala ... aka Larry Robinson

I was shown a copy of the 3E/ISF rules back around '93, read through it, but never got a chance to play. A few year later something reminded me of Starfire, so I decided to look on the internet for it, and found the list (and website). I've been throwing my 0.000002 MCr at the list ever since. My biggest contribution (with the help of a friend of mine) was coming up with a "better" list of government and racial types for GSF. For those that wonder, yes, I just had to add the Bovine Herbivoracity to the Herd Race description when I thought of the concept (hey ... someone had to suggest the counter to the Arachnid Omnivoracity! :lol: :roll: ).

Lately, I've been throwing big giant images at Matt for resizing and use on this nifty new website. Speaking of which ... I think I want to create new "rank" graphics, Matt. :roll:
-- krenshala
None survive the harvest!

Yeah, I'm finally back (again)! Sometimes, life (and 9yo son's) don't leave you time to play SF and earn a paycheck. :/

No, really! Matt actually made me an admin here!
krenshala
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby cbarnett on Thu 16 Jul 2009 04:59

Craig Barnett here, I've been a Starfire player since 1st Edition in the 1980's, and rediscovered 3rdR and GSF in the late 90's. I appreciate and enjoy all versions of the game, and am very excited about the upcoming release of Cosmic Starfire.

I've played in a fair few 3rdR and GSF PBEM's over the years, but it has been very quiet for me Starfire-wise in recent times. I hope this changes!
cbarnett
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Postby GFFP on Thu 16 Jul 2009 12:10

Dan Preston here.

I started playing SF with the 1st and 2nd editions. Took a break and discovered 3rd and have been
playing off and on ever since. I have help on several SDS products, mainly GSF era stuff. I am best
know for the strategy that is the only true path to victory, "Genocide For Fun and Profit' TM pending.

Lately I have been experimenting with a solo campaign based on a mix of 3rdR and GSF without WPs.
And yes, piracy/raiding has become a problem for one of my main races.
GFFP
Midshipman 2nd Class
Midshipman 2nd Class

Postby Zombee on Fri 17 Jul 2009 22:31

Dan Kochheiser is here.

I have been involved with Starfire since the TFG booklets. Playtested Imperial Starfire and most of the expansion products. Dropped off for a bit and then came back when I found 3rdR. Helped make the UTM and the involved the attempt to consolidate the rules till the Marvin-Steve Flame War. Dropped out of sight during that and have only recently returned because of the discovery of the making of Cosmic Starfire.

Hello All!
Zombee
AKA Dan Kochheiser
The Anti-Probability Monster
Zombee
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Next

Return to The Starless Void