Who's here?

Every discussion that doesn't have a home gets thrown into the Starless Void. Posters included.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

More than likely if your thread got moved, it got moved here. It is highly unlikely that a topic in the starless void can attain enough velocity to escape this sub-forum's event horizon.

Re: Who's here?

Postby Cralis on Sat 18 Jul 2009 03:16

Wow, players I remember from the '90s coming back. Welcome back everyone :-)
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby mavikfelna on Sat 18 Jul 2009 11:10

Mavik Felna here, aka Mav, aka Mark F. Anderson

I've been playing Starfire since 1st ed, though I can't find my old first ed books anymore. :( I do still have everything but the miniatures from 2nd and 3rd, including all the Nexus mags, and the Ultra PDF.

I've playtested 3rdR and 4th ed, worked for 3DG and 3EET and was the original designer of the Racial Traits rules (for ISF, Marvin updated and expanded them for Ultra I believe).

I've been a member of the mailing list for a long time even if I don't pipe up much.

--Mav
mavikfelna
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Starfire on Mon 20 Jul 2009 14:41

Marvin Lamb, aka Starfire

I designed and wrote a Campaign System for Starfire prior to Starfire III (the original campaign rules) being printed. I kind of skipped 2nd Ed Starfire (Sorry Dave) but did buy the books. I got involved with TFG during the hey day of 3rd Edition Starfire including going to many GenCons and Origins with them and on my own. I eventually bought Starfire when TFG collapsed and the rest, as they say, is History.
Nerf rock, paper is fine. signed:Scissors.
Starfire
Marvin Lamb
Marvin Lamb

Postby tdh8192 on Fri 25 Sep 2009 10:30

Greetings and salutations,

My [real] name is Tom and I've been a Starfire player since 1981 which makes me old enough to be... well, old enough. ;)

A hearty congratulations to Marvin and the guys for putting this board up as a replacement to the listserv. This will definitely take the game to the next level now that anyone and everyone can read the forums and maybe even join in! Well done, sirs!

Regards,
Last edited by tdh8192 on Wed 21 Apr 2010 19:27, edited 1 time in total.
tdh8192
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Darth Pedro on Fri 25 Sep 2009 14:40

I've been playing Starfire since SF1. SF2 was never fully implemented in the group I was involved with. We ran a number of campaigns, each with rules for strategic level that were designed for simplicity by whoever was the referee/gamemaster. Those were the days.

I remember when the Tomatons and the Space Spuds went at it with a vengeance. :lol:
Darth Pedro: Emperor of Space
Darth Pedro
Lieutenant SG
Lieutenant SG

Postby Cralis on Fri 25 Sep 2009 16:46

Welcome Gentlemen!

If you haven't looked at the announcements at the top of the forum, I recommend it. We are making resources available for players to post stories on their games, and we are open to suggestions and ideas. Myself and Fred have been trying to generate more conversation on various things related to STARFIRE while he works on COSMIC STARFIRE, and while I work on new ULTRA STARFIRE material, but we welcome any player contributions and additions to the forums, communities, and resources.

Good to have you here!
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby xtfoster on Sat 26 Sep 2009 14:50

Thomas Foster (aka, xtfoster and/or txfoster depending on the list).

I have been a fan of StarFire since reading stories about the game in Nexus Magazine while playing StarFleet Battles. I didn't start playing the game until 3rdR was released and helped with the GSF playtest, 3DG, 3EET. I have also helped Chris Naughton with the StarFire Online (corbynova) website (the Original Game1 plus as an SM in the Campaign testing the "hands off" tools). I would write my (various) campaigns up as fiction, but my writing is so bad I can't even enjoy reading it.

Lately I have been spending most of my time addicted to World of Warcraft while I wait for the insurance company to approve my back surgery.
xtfoster
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby The_Okie on Sun 11 Oct 2009 16:58

Joshua Rau from the Oklahoma City area.

I was introduced to Starfire: New Empires 11 years ago, a the age of 15. I've played Starfire off and on again since then. I'm currently running a New Empires edition game with four players. I'm very anxious to see how Starfire develops, and would be happy to become involved in anyway I can.
The_Okie
Midshipman 2nd Class
Midshipman 2nd Class

Postby Cralis on Sun 11 Oct 2009 17:12

Welcome!

It is good to see someone who has tried all the versions of STARFIRE. Although it is interesting that you stick with NEW EMPIRES. How long do your games tend to last?
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby The_Okie on Mon 12 Oct 2009 13:02

That depends on the setup, but most games that last around 50-75 turns with 2-3 players (excluding SM), then the group mutinies to do an RPG. But after a while, we'll reminisce about a battle, and before you know it, its back to Starfire. Anyway, that's about as long as we need to get most of the way through the tech levels and create some major mahem. One of our players, the one that introduced us all to it, played it back in the late 80's- early 90s while in the Navy.
The_Okie
Midshipman 2nd Class
Midshipman 2nd Class

PreviousNext

Return to The Starless Void