Who's here?

Every discussion that doesn't have a home gets thrown into the Starless Void. Posters included.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

More than likely if your thread got moved, it got moved here. It is highly unlikely that a topic in the starless void can attain enough velocity to escape this sub-forum's event horizon.

Re: Who's here?

Postby drakar on Wed 21 Apr 2010 11:45

Greetings I'm Ryan Williams.

I was recently introduced to Starfire by my dad a couple years ago during my senior year of high school with the 3eR rules and have proceeded to work my way to the newer versions as I progressed as a player. Currently I am actively involved in two campaigns of which one is one that is held within my own family and is nearing its 175th turn with the first 50 occuring with 3eR the next 100 with GSF and now re emerging as I left for awhile with Ultra.
"Only the dead have seen the end of war."
Plato
drakar
Captain
Captain

Postby Cralis on Wed 21 Apr 2010 12:36

drakar wrote:Greetings I'm Ryan Williams.

I was recently introduced to Starfire by my dad a couple years ago during my senior year of high school with the 3eR rules and have proceeded to work my way to the newer versions as I progressed as a player. Currently I am actively involved in two campaigns of which one is one that is held within my own family and is nearing its 175th turn with the first 50 occuring with 3eR the next 100 with GSF and now re emerging as I left for awhile with Ultra.

Welcome to the forum Ryan! My name is Matthew Olson, aka 'Cralis'. Myself, Krenshala (aka Larry), and Crucis (aka Fred) are the current active members of the SDS. Larry and I run this website...so if you have any questions or comments you can email or message us.

I also wanted to let you know that we have a standing invitation to players who want to post their own fiction and campaign histories. If you want to do this, I will create a sub-forum for you in the starfire fiction section and you will have sole authority to post your stories. Just let me know if you'd like your own fiction sub-forum!

Everyone loves to read the fiction!

Anyway, welcome to our community!
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby drakar on Wed 21 Apr 2010 13:03

I may have some fiction here eventually from either or both of my games i am involved in though the one based on family play would just be on my small portion of the known universe and the events that have befallen my race
"Only the dead have seen the end of war."
Plato
drakar
Captain
Captain

Postby Cralis on Wed 21 Apr 2010 22:32

drakar wrote:I may have some fiction here eventually from either or both of my games i am involved in though the one based on family play would just be on my small portion of the known universe and the events that have befallen my race

I've responded to your private chat. As soon as I get your answers I'll set the sub-forum up for you. And typically I put up one sub-forum per game, so if you want I can setup separate forums for each of your games so people don't confuse which story belongs to which!
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Aukel on Fri 23 Apr 2010 21:29

Howdy all,

Kelvin de Waele (Aukel), here in Townsville, Australia.

Played Starfire many many years ago, from the pics of covers on the web, I think it must have been SF1.

Played many many different wargames, and have always loved the simplicity of Starfire. Have just ordered my Ultimate Pack. Gave the wargaming away when the guys I played with moved away ten years ago, but have always loved it, so I am coming back to it.

I am hoping to interest either my sons, or some other locals to play Ultra Starfire with me.

At the moment I am waiting for my order, while planning on how to print my own maps, and counters, but will wait to see what I need before committing to that.

Great to be able to have this kind of resource for far flung players.

Cheers

Aukel
Aukel
Midshipman 2nd Class
Midshipman 2nd Class

Postby Cralis on Sat 24 Apr 2010 02:54

Over the next 1-2 years, it will only get better. Welcome back to STARFIRE Aukel :) It's good to have another friend from down under!

One nice thing about the newest versions of STARFIRE (3rd and 4th edition, aka Classic Starfire, Galactic Starfire, and Ultra Starfire) is that the game is really conducive to solo play. At least half, if not more, of the stories in the fiction section are solo games!

But you can also play over the internet using the spreadsheets, and if you want to play the battles, using Vassal. You can find both of these in our downloads section on the website.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby krenshala on Sat 24 Apr 2010 11:30

Cralis wrote:...to play the battles, using Vassal.

Matt, did you ever get a response to your post(s) on the Vassal forum?
-- krenshala
None survive the harvest!

Yeah, I'm finally back (again)! Sometimes, life (and 9yo son's) don't leave you time to play SF and earn a paycheck. :/

No, really! Matt actually made me an admin here!
krenshala
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Cralis on Sat 24 Apr 2010 12:36

krenshala wrote:
Cralis wrote:...to play the battles, using Vassal.

Matt, did you ever get a response to your post(s) on the Vassal forum?

Oh from the SFI guy? No. But I'm not worried about it... JK's module is FAR superior.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby PracticalM on Sat 24 Apr 2010 12:46

Thanks Matt,

I reallywant to add overlays for
shields down
streaming air
-1 MP

it seemed that I couldn't do a generic overlay and it looked like more work than I wanted to spend to add the overlay to each counter.

I should check the latest version though they might have made it easier
--
Jeffrey Kessler
PracticalM
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Cralis on Sat 24 Apr 2010 15:26

Oooh that would be really nice. It would be worth it, even with an assistant program something like a real battle program is years away.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Starless Void