Stll plodding along

Every discussion that doesn't have a home gets thrown into the Starless Void. Posters included.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

More than likely if your thread got moved, it got moved here. It is highly unlikely that a topic in the starless void can attain enough velocity to escape this sub-forum's event horizon.

Stll plodding along

Postby Graybeard on Mon 31 Mar 2014 19:01

Greetings,

Almost done reading System Rules. Now, I know what a silo is in Solar Starfire. I take it, a missile silo contains an R?

Graybeard
P.S. What's an LOD, this is in reference to Transit Carriers and Transit Racks: is @ the system code for Transit Racks?
Gb
I was watching "Space Patrol" live on B & W TV when most of you were gleams in your parents' eyes.
Graybeard
Captain
Captain

Re: Stll plodding along

Postby Lomn on Mon 31 Mar 2014 19:45

Graybeard wrote:Almost done reading System Rules. Now, I know what a silo is in Solar Starfire. I take it, a missile silo contains an R?
Yes, but perhaps more generally. You can build silos of any of the LRW branches (D6.04, E8). You would have an Re silo, or a Pti silo, or a Ka silo, or (I think) the capital or heavy versions, too.
What's an LOD
LOw Detection engine mode, D5.03.2. You go very slowly, you leave your shields down, your sensors are garbage, but... you can't be detected past Medium range. It's a poor man's cloak that is inherent capability.
this is in reference to Transit Carriers and Transit Racks: is @ the system code for Transit Racks?
Gb
Yes.
Lomn
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Graybeard on Mon 31 Mar 2014 20:10

Good evening, Lomn,

Thank you!! That was a prompt reply :D .

Well, guess I'll call it a day, now.

G'night,
Graybeard
I was watching "Space Patrol" live on B & W TV when most of you were gleams in your parents' eyes.
Graybeard
Captain
Captain

Postby Cralis on Mon 31 Mar 2014 20:43

Lomn wrote:
Graybeard wrote:Almost done reading System Rules. Now, I know what a silo is in Solar Starfire. I take it, a missile silo contains an R?
Yes, but perhaps more generally. You can build silos of any of the LRW branches (D6.04, E8). You would have an Re silo, or a Pti silo, or a Ka silo, or (I think) the capital or heavy versions, too.

You are correct. Each silo is type and generation specific, to cover all branches (regular, capital, heavy, etc.) and generations.

this is in reference to Transit Carriers and Transit Racks: is @ the system code for Transit Racks?
Gb
Yes.

@ system allows a ship to carry other ships. Since this makes it a "carrier" of ships, it is called a "Transit Carrier". This makes it different from Squadron Carriers (or just "Carriers"), which carry fighters and gunboats.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Graybeard on Wed 02 Apr 2014 12:47

Hi, Cralis,

Good to see you post. Thank you.

I didn't have time to go online yesterday, I spent most of the day at the local VA Medical Clinic and then taking care of things at home, after I got back to the house.

Well, I'll let ya'll know when I finish the System Rules. I've been jumping around in the manual. Trying now to limit myself to a straight linear reading, so I'll have an idea to where I saw this or that bit of information.

Graybeard
Graybeard
Captain
Captain

Postby Graybeard on Wed 02 Apr 2014 18:56

Hi, again,

In reference to Transit Carriers and defenses of carrier and units carried, what is (MNE)?

Well, that finishes my reading of System Rules.

Another day, and I will start reading F. Readiness and Personell.

Graybeard
Graybeard
Captain
Captain

Postby Lomn on Wed 02 Apr 2014 21:12

Maser Nebula Emitter, used to protect a ship (and what it carries) from certain energy sources, such as maser nebulas. It's in the electronics section of the tech appendix.

Incidentally, Acrobat's find function is quite good at looking up references to system codes, since they rarely resemble real words.
Lomn
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Graybeard on Thu 03 Apr 2014 14:01

Good afternoon, Lomn,

Thank you.

Graybeard
Graybeard
Captain
Captain

Postby Graybeard on Fri 11 Apr 2014 18:26

Greetings, all,

Just finished reading F including crew grades.

I am so tempted to jump up to "K Setup of a Player Empire", but I really need to check out Gunboat and Strategic Components rules as well as make my own SL and EL lists by SL, then by alphabetical sequence. So I know what beginning systems I have with which to build my ships, PDCs and SS modules. So, I'll still be reading for awhile longer.

I don't want to be making mistakes about things in the rules, like I did playing with the Third Edition.

I told you I'm not a speed reader. :oops:

I wish all of you and yours a safe and good weekend.

Graybeard
Graybeard
Captain
Captain

Postby Graybeard on Tue 15 Apr 2014 19:40

Greetings, all,

Still plodding through Small Craft rules.

I lost a few days because of my computer. A friend found the owner's manual for my computer on line and mailed me a link, so I could refresh my memory of how to open it, and find the system battery in the computer. I did that, and am looking forward to replacing the battery because of the messages my computer sends to me when I turn it on. (I have no way now, that I have cable telephone and internet, to disconnect from internet while the computer's on. I will not leave my computer with an open internet connection over night, to prevent hacking and virus, so I turn it off. Not to mention saving on the electric bill [I unplug other inactive electrical devices to reduce that dab of current flow from electrical out let to off/on switch] So, it does make a few dollars difference to the electric bill, really). Anyway, I'm back.

I have compled manually transcribing large unit table for construction and will next transcribe the base/ss construction tables.

I don't want to be tied to my computer to play this game. So, as I read along, I have transcribed and will transcribe the necessary tables and text to repair to my gaming table in the next room to play the game. When I ordered the game, I did not think it was only a CD. I expected a boxed version with a CD to build ships (SY program). Needless to say, I have sat on this umbrage for a few weeks. And, now that I have devised this way of transcribing needed information from available on the computer to accessible on my legal size note pad, I am satisfied.

I also need to start typing story ideas into a file with my Windows Wordpad, for copying to Starfire Fiction forum when I do start playing the game.

Happy Holy Week and Easter to all,
Graybeard
Graybeard
Captain
Captain

Next

Return to The Starless Void