Stll plodding along

Every discussion that doesn't have a home gets thrown into the Starless Void. Posters included.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

More than likely if your thread got moved, it got moved here. It is highly unlikely that a topic in the starless void can attain enough velocity to escape this sub-forum's event horizon.

Re: Stll plodding along

Postby Lomn on Mon 16 Jun 2014 17:05

L1.03 looks like a master list to me (I don't see anything missing).

Homeworld Type refers to your race's planet of origin. If you start on an ST world, you only ever use the bottom half of the table*. World Type refers to the new planet you're colonizing. Your ST homeworld race still finds T worlds habitable.

*exception: amalgamation of empires lets you use the most advantageous result, and might open up the whole table.
Lomn
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Graybeard on Mon 16 Jun 2014 19:21

Good evening, Lomn,

Thank you, for your reply.

It looks plain enough. I'll need to compare your answer with the table.

Thanks again,
Graybeard
I was watching "Space Patrol" live on B & W TV when most of you were gleams in your parents' eyes.
Graybeard
Captain
Captain

Postby Cralis on Tue 17 Jun 2014 00:42

Graybeard wrote:While I'm writing to share my discovery of David Weber's Honor Harrington's The Honor of the Queen on one of my bookshelves in my living room while browsing that end of that shelf (also has Leon Uris, Gore Vidal, Jules Verne, Dave Weber, H G Wells and another author) I'll ask a question. And, yes, I have read Weber's book.

I never doubted you ;) You are, after all, a STARFIRE player! You had to read David Weber's work at some point to do that.

I've been wanting to ask, where is the list of system body types? I've been looking at table L1.03 on page 86, for environments of different system body types. Where's the master list system body types?

That would be W6.06. Although, keep in mind that this does not separate the "moons" from the "planets" because the type descriptions are the same, no matter if it is a moon or planet.

Then, just below that table, there's the Table L1.03.1 for Population Size Limits, which I have yet to figure out; first off, Homeworld Type and World Type in the middle of the column do not match. What's with that?

K2.01.1 states that each race must start on a T or ST world that is generated in the home system. L1.03.1 tells you what the environment type is for any new T or ST world your race finds, based on Habitability Index (HI) and world type. Read the chart as "column 1 is my homeworld type, column 2 is the new world type, column 3 is the difference between the HI of both worlds, and column 4 is the environment type for my race."

Example: You have a T world with an HI of 5. You find a T world with an HI of 7. First, both worlds are Type T. That means it is going to be either row 1 or row 2. The difference between the HIs (7 - 5 = 2) is "within 2" so that means row 1. Column 4 says that this is a "benign" world to my race.

Example 2: You have an ST world with an HI of 5. You find an T world with an HI of 1. Since this is an ST homeworld and T new world we know it is going to be row 5 or 6. The difference in HI is 5 - 1 = 4. Since this is "not within 2" we know that it is row 6, and the environment for my race is "Hostile".

Does that help?
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Graybeard on Tue 17 Jun 2014 13:33

Good afternoon, Cralis,

Good to see your post and thanks for writing.
I read Weber's book before I stumbled upon SDS. grin.

Yes, your spelling out how to read the chart helped a lot. Thank you.

Regards,
Graybeard
I was watching "Space Patrol" live on B & W TV when most of you were gleams in your parents' eyes.
Graybeard
Captain
Captain

Postby Graybeard on Tue 29 Jul 2014 12:19

Good afternoon, all,

In summer months, I can read during local cold fronts. Because the temperature in my living room exceeds the 95 degree F limit of this computer, during outside three digit heat waves.

I've read a little more. Will read some more, but not tomorrow. I'll be all day going to, keeping appointments at and coming home from the Dallas VA Hospital, tomorrow. Getting ready for surgery Aug 07, to remove an allegedly cancerous tumor from my bladder.

Regards to all,
Graybeard
Graybeard
Captain
Captain

Postby Vandervecken on Wed 30 Jul 2014 05:48

I hope all preparations go well for your procedure.

Do you have a Library nearby, many have computers and the Solar Starfire rules can fit on to a 2.99 cost flash drive. And many Libraries (Even in Texas) have air conditioning, but certainly not all.
I weary of the chasssse. Wait for me. I will be mercccciful and quick.
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Cralis on Thu 31 Jul 2014 01:03

Graybeard wrote:In summer months, I can read during local cold fronts. Because the temperature in my living room exceeds the 95 degree F limit of this computer, during outside three digit heat waves.

Ouch. And here I thought it was annoying that it's 95 outside where I'm at.

I've read a little more. Will read some more, but not tomorrow. I'll be all day going to, keeping appointments at and coming home from the Dallas VA Hospital, tomorrow. Getting ready for surgery Aug 07, to remove an allegedly cancerous tumor from my bladder.

Good luck and Semper Fi. Take your time, I'll be here waiting for you.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Graybeard on Fri 01 Aug 2014 17:04

Vandervecken wrote:I hope all preparations go well for your procedure.

Do you have a Library nearby, many have computers and the Solar Starfire rules can fit on to a 2.99 cost flash drive. And many Libraries (Even in Texas) have air conditioning, but certainly not all.

Good afternoon, Vandervocken,

Thank you, for your well wishes.

The library in our neighborhood also restricts each person to one hour on a computer. Good idea, 'though. This library also photocopies text at fifteen cents per page. I'll just stay home and read when I can.

Best regards,
Graybeard
Graybeard
Captain
Captain

Postby Graybeard on Fri 01 Aug 2014 17:10

Cralis wrote:
Graybeard wrote:In summer months, I can read during local cold fronts. Because the temperature in my living room exceeds the 95 degree F limit of this computer, during outside three digit heat waves.

Ouch. And here I thought it was annoying that it's 95 outside where I'm at.

Good luck and Semper Fi. Take your time, I'll be here waiting for you.

Good evening, Cralis,

A couple of weeks ago we had three digit temperatures and that's when it was over 95 in the living room. My room has an air conditioner. I can always go in there and take a break.

Semper Fi. We may have more cool weather this weekend. Today was payday and I was busy with that.

Best regards,
Graybeard
Graybeard
Captain
Captain

Postby Graybeard on Mon 04 Aug 2014 14:27

Good afternoon, Cralis,

Still struggling through L2 Economic Level Advancement. I can do a budget, but Book Keeping balance was rough and I never finished Accounting 101 because that professor wasted my time and money by talking about her social agenda instead of only accounting. I withdrew from college. Someday I'll go back for one course at a time starting with vocal music.
I can run my monthly budget, however.

Regards,
Graybeard
Graybeard
Captain
Captain

PreviousNext

Return to The Starless Void