Comment on editing

Every discussion that doesn't have a home gets thrown into the Starless Void. Posters included.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

More than likely if your thread got moved, it got moved here. It is highly unlikely that a topic in the starless void can attain enough velocity to escape this sub-forum's event horizon.

Comment on editing

Postby Graybeard on Tue 22 Apr 2014 15:55

Good afternoon, Cralis,

I still don't know a whole lot about SSF, although I'm getting the feel of it. But, I've noticed that the arrangement of the information in the manual leads to some frustration.

For example, section AA AA for science levels does not start with a science level but starts with an explanation of different twigs and generations. With all due respect, I think the explanations would make more sense if the base science levels came first, then the explanations.

Just my two cents' worth.

Graybeard
I was watching "Space Patrol" live on B & W TV when most of you were gleams in your parents' eyes.
Graybeard
Captain
Captain

Re: Comment on editing

Postby Cralis on Tue 22 Apr 2014 17:58

Do you mean the first "part" would be best as a list of the tech trees that you will find inside AA?
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Graybeard on Tue 22 Apr 2014 18:55

Hi, Cralis,

Yes, sir, that's the way it looks to me.

Well, I've read all on small craft.
I've transcribed the Base and Special Hull table.

I feel like I need to read the information after J and K, as well as read J and K.

I guess it will be a few weeks before I start exploring, First, I need to do my first start turn and I need to read the rules to do that.

We've got some beautiful weather here, how are ya'll doing?
I was watching "Space Patrol" live on B & W TV when most of you were gleams in your parents' eyes.
Graybeard
Captain
Captain

Postby Cralis on Tue 22 Apr 2014 23:38

Graybeard wrote:We've got some beautiful weather here, how are ya'll doing?

Not to bad. Our good weather ended and we are in for a week or two of rain. Just means more time working on Starfire!
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Graybeard on Wed 23 Apr 2014 13:33

Hi, Cralis,

Yep, indoor time is game time. Unless I have dishes to do or clothes to wash; or unless I want to watch hulu free movies and/or TV programs.

Graybeard
Graybeard
Captain
Captain

Postby Graybeard on Sun 27 Apr 2014 17:09

Good evening, Cralis,

I have been going to different sections out of order while reading the manual, as well as reading it in sequence. This afternoon, it started coming together. With all the Errata from all their sources, and with insights from GSF and USF, the SSF is going to look like it does, and I see now where the clutter becomes essential, rather than distracting from the base information.

You're right, this is neither Starfire Empires nor Imperial Starfire, both of which I've played so long ago. As long as the game does not distract me from the rest of my life, I will come to enjoy it. And, I'm good at not letting addictive games consume me. So far.

So, I just wanted to let you know I'm beginning to see Solar Starfire in the context which you have informed me of.

Regards,
Graybeard
Graybeard
Captain
Captain

Postby Cralis on Sun 27 Apr 2014 22:28

Graybeard wrote:I have been going to different sections out of order while reading the manual, as well as reading it in sequence. This afternoon, it started coming together. With all the Errata from all their sources, and with insights from GSF and USF, the SSF is going to look like it does, and I see now where the clutter becomes essential, rather than distracting from the base information.

Ahhh, I'm glad that my reasoning isn't just madness!

You're right, this is neither Starfire Empires nor Imperial Starfire, both of which I've played so long ago. As long as the game does not distract me from the rest of my life, I will come to enjoy it. And, I'm good at not letting addictive games consume me. So far.

You're doing better than me. I got consumed so much that now I'm working on the game! :roll:

So, I just wanted to let you know I'm beginning to see Solar Starfire in the context which you have informed me of.

It's been very educational for me to hear how you're progressing through the rules. I haven't yet had a chance to hear how a player learns the campaign rules. Only the tactical rules. For that, I thank you!

But I still think you have a good point about the tech trees.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Graybeard on Mon 28 Apr 2014 14:04

Cralis wrote:
Graybeard wrote:I have been going to different sections out of order while reading the manual, as well as reading it in sequence. This afternoon, it started coming together. With all the Errata from all their sources, and with insights from GSF and USF, the SSF is going to look like it does, and I see now where the clutter becomes essential, rather than distracting from the base information.

Ahhh, I'm glad that my reasoning isn't just madness!

You're doing better than me. I got consumed so much that now I'm working on the game! :roll:

It's been very educational for me to hear how you're progressing through the rules. I haven't yet had a chance to hear how a player learns the campaign rules. Only the tactical rules. For that, I thank you!

But I still think you have a good point about the tech trees.

Hello, again, Craylis,

No, sir, it's not your madness. It's your talent for organizing profuse and diverse information. I haven't ever had such a core as you have with SSF. So, I haven't judged you. The thing of it is, since I sounded off when I was frustrated, I wanted to make sure I let you know when I began to see it your way.

Ah, well, Craylis, I am now in the midst of the campaign rules. I'll hold any further questions until I have finished reading sections K and L.

Thank you, sir. I offered my opinion about the tech trees from the weakness of my personal limits. Other players may not have those limits.

Graybeard
Graybeard
Captain
Captain

Postby Cralis on Tue 29 Apr 2014 00:25

Graybeard wrote:Thank you, sir. I offered my opinion about the tech trees from the weakness of my personal limits. Other players may not have those limits.

Ahh... but some will have the same problems. That's why it's good for me to get input from a variety of viewpoints. The question I need to answer is whether this is something we should solve inside the rules, or whether some form of downloadable document might be better.

It's on my list to look at.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Graybeard on Tue 29 Apr 2014 12:06

Good afternoon, Cralis,

I'm honored, sir, that you have my comment on your to do list.

Graybeard
Graybeard
Captain
Captain

Return to The Starless Void