patreon.com

Every discussion that doesn't have a home gets thrown into the Starless Void. Posters included.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

More than likely if your thread got moved, it got moved here. It is highly unlikely that a topic in the starless void can attain enough velocity to escape this sub-forum's event horizon.

patreon.com

Postby Cralis on Sat 23 Aug 2014 16:58

Anyone ever heard of this? Anyone know anything about it?

I found out that a couple different independent game developers use this service to defray their costs while they work on their games. Interesting idea, just not sure how valid it is? Reliability? Legality?
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Re: patreon.com

Postby Xveers on Sun 24 Aug 2014 23:16

I've been seeing quite a few people start to use this service, primarily due to it's ongoing support focus instead of a more quid pro quo method that Kickstarter uses. For a lot of things I think it's a better method, as it allows people to support artists in a manner that they can better tailor to fit their needs, and lets the authors dictate what extra services they would provide.

I can't speak to it's reliability or validity, but at a glance I'd say it's at least as legal as Kickstarter is. I presume they take a cut of whatever they process, like Kickstarter does.

I do know that Ken Burnside of Ad Astra uses it (He just started), as does Winchel Chung (of Project Rho fame) has been using it for some time, and I haven't heard either of them complain about it yet.
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: patreon.com

Postby Cralis on Mon 25 Aug 2014 12:48

I am a FB friend of Ken Burnside, so that's how I heard about it.

It's not a secret that myself and the other members of the Starfire "group" are essentially volunteers. The biggest hindrance to the quick development of Starfire is the fact that we (especially me) have day jobs that eat 9-11 hours of every week day (including prep, transportation, etc.)

Starfire does not make enough to replace my income, let alone still have enough to pay for things like printing new counter sheets. And frankly, at this point being able to produce the new products we are working on is more important.

This caught my attention, but I don't see this as able to make up the difference, and I'd have to come up with some sort of reward that would make it worth doing for the players. And I don't know what the players would think of this idea.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Return to The Starless Void