Computer problems/plans.

Every discussion that doesn't have a home gets thrown into the Starless Void. Posters included.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

More than likely if your thread got moved, it got moved here. It is highly unlikely that a topic in the starless void can attain enough velocity to escape this sub-forum's event horizon.

Computer problems/plans.

Postby VoidStalker_WoE on Tue 06 Jan 2015 14:37

Just trying to get back online, after my move to my new place, which still has work being done on it, and cannot access Google. I had been using my phone in tether mode to access the internet, but I have a basement apartment now and that doesn't work now, so I went and got cable installed.

I am starting up my computer programming classes once again, and will try to get some small SF programs up and running as time, talent, and oppertunity permit.

I have Win XP/IE 8. Is this combo not supported in the new year, or does the problem lie elsewhere?
I want (need) to upgrade to Win 7 for compatibility issues with the college computer labs/programs. Does anyone know if I can, in a dual HDD system:

Install Win 7 on the second drive, and then pick which drive to boot from? or
Use the Win XP operating system to install Win 7 on the other drive at all?

Any help is welcome, and happy new year a bit late.
VoidStalker_WoE
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Computer problems/plans.

Postby VoidStalker_WoE on Tue 06 Jan 2015 14:40

Also, what alternatives do I have till I get Win 7? Is there a more advanced IE version compatible with XP?
VoidStalker_WoE
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Cralis on Tue 06 Jan 2015 16:05

VoidStalker_WoE wrote:Just trying to get back online, after my move to my new place, which still has work being done on it, and cannot access Google. I had been using my phone in tether mode to access the internet, but I have a basement apartment now and that doesn't work now, so I went and got cable installed.

I am starting up my computer programming classes once again, and will try to get some small SF programs up and running as time, talent, and oppertunity permit.

Cool!

I have Win XP/IE 8. Is this combo not supported in the new year, or does the problem lie elsewhere?

Oh my. IE 8 is three versions out of date. Do your computer a favor and download Chrome or Firefox if for no other reason than safety.

I want (need) to upgrade to Win 7 for compatibility issues with the college computer labs/programs. Does anyone know if I can, in a dual HDD system:

Install Win 7 on the second drive, and then pick which drive to boot from? or
Use the Win XP operating system to install Win 7 on the other drive at all?

Abandon XP. It's too old, it's no longer supported (meaning that they aren't patching vulnerabilities), and it has less performance. Use Win7. There is no point to developing for XP anymore. As a student you can get access to the Win7 and Office for a fraction of the commercial cost.

And ask your school if they participate in the Microsoft academic software stuff (the academic equivalent of bizspark). Although you can't use it for commercial purposes, as a computer science student in a school that participates in that program you can get access to a LOT of Microsoft's development software, server software, database software, etc.

Any help is welcome, and happy new year a bit late.

If you are planning to do any Microsoft-based development, try out the new Visual Studio 2013 Community Edition. It's basically a free "Pro" version of VS2013. Good stuff.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Albireo on Thu 08 Jan 2015 01:01

Microsoft has software that you can download and test your hardware to determine whether it is compatible with Windows 7.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20

Microsoft also has diagnostics and compatibility information for Windows 8.1

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/CompatCenter

Avoid third party web sites when downloading any software. Always use the manufacturer distributions web site to obtain legitimate software, hopefully uncontaminated with malware or unwanted adware.

browser Google Chrome
http://www.google.com/chrome/

Mozilla home page
https://www.mozilla.org
Albireo
Captain
Captain

Postby krenshala on Fri 09 Jan 2015 16:01

In my experience Win7 will work on most systems running XP, assuming you meet the minimum disk and memory requirements. Having done some upgrades from XP (and Vista) to 7, I highly recommend you back up your data and do a clean installation. You will have far fewer problems this way, the most common with upgrades for me being the inability to access files despite the username/password not changing between versions (Win7 sees it as a different user, and thus denies the new user access to the old user directory/files).
-- krenshala
None survive the harvest!

Yeah, I'm finally back (again)! Sometimes, life (and 9yo son's) don't leave you time to play SF and earn a paycheck. :/

No, really! Matt actually made me an admin here!
krenshala
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby VoidStalker_WoE on Fri 09 Jan 2015 16:56

krenshala wrote:In my experience Win7 will work on most systems running XP, assuming you meet the minimum disk and memory requirements. Having done some upgrades from XP (and Vista) to 7, I highly recommend you back up your data and do a clean installation. You will have far fewer problems this way, the most common with upgrades for me being the inability to access files despite the username/password not changing between versions (Win7 sees it as a different user, and thus denies the new user access to the old user directory/files).

My brother has a Masters in computer science, was teaching comptuer classes, and had his old professor from the U of M helping him try to upgrade from vista to win 7. He lost a great deal of his computers contents. If HE has had that happen to him, I plan on a clean install. :o

I was just looking for Win 7 Pro, so that I might finally break the >4 gig RAM barrier I have yet to exceed, lol. I currently have a Quad core (3.0ghz), with 4 gig RAM installed (of which only 3.25 gig is actually getting used), w dual 1.25 TB HDD. I got this computer maybe 4 years ago, and it wasn't quite top of the line then, but it is the best computer I have ever had. :D
VoidStalker_WoE
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Xveers on Fri 09 Jan 2015 21:19

VoidStalker_WoE wrote:
I was just looking for Win 7 Pro, so that I might finally break the >4 gig RAM barrier I have yet to exceed, lol. I currently have a Quad core (3.0ghz), with 4 gig RAM installed (of which only 3.25 gig is actually getting used), w dual 1.25 TB HDD. I got this computer maybe 4 years ago, and it wasn't quite top of the line then, but it is the best computer I have ever had. :D

If you're looking to go break the 4gb RAM barrier, make sure you're using a 64 bit version of Win7. Yeah, that might be a bit obvious perhaps but I've seen people not quite realize that needs to get done... Myself I'm on 8 gigs and quite happy. It even renders quickly...
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby krenshala on Mon 12 Jan 2015 10:05

16G of RAM here, and it makes a huge difference on rendering times. I really need to find the time to get dualboot set up again so I can see how much faster it is on the new(er) processor that rendering is. ;)
-- krenshala
None survive the harvest!

Yeah, I'm finally back (again)! Sometimes, life (and 9yo son's) don't leave you time to play SF and earn a paycheck. :/

No, really! Matt actually made me an admin here!
krenshala
SDS Member
SDS Member

Return to The Starless Void