An Old School Game Rediscovered

Every discussion that doesn't have a home gets thrown into the Starless Void. Posters included.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

More than likely if your thread got moved, it got moved here. It is highly unlikely that a topic in the starless void can attain enough velocity to escape this sub-forum's event horizon.

An Old School Game Rediscovered

Postby Xveers on Mon 14 Sep 2015 22:40

So I was cleaning my house when I found a nice classic of a game. Conquest frontier wars. Went to watch the opening video on youtube, and now I remember why I enjoy it so. Somehow, it feels so nice and Classic Starfire-y :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjKYNkcnbOk
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: An Old School Game Rediscovered

Postby LordKron on Tue 15 Sep 2015 02:33

Ascension had a similar feel, down to warp links between systems.
LordKron
Commander
Commander

Postby Cralis on Tue 15 Sep 2015 09:06

A lot of 4x space games had mechanics from Starfire, it has kind of hidden in the main-srream sci fi thinking.

Other games:
Master of Orion 2
Space Empires (even credits Starfire as an inspiration!)
Sword of the Stars (human node travel)
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Xveers on Tue 15 Sep 2015 19:38

Cralis wrote:Space Empires (even credits Starfire as an inspiration!)

It's a pretty close inspiration! Also one of if not the best turn based 4x games ever made in my opinion. I still play it!
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby LordKron on Tue 15 Sep 2015 23:00

The game I was thinking of was called Ascendancy. Key features from Starfire were the warp links between systems and placing discrete items in ship hulls (shields, weapons, engines etc. You actually inserted items in specific spots in the hull. Beautiful graphics and interface for the day, but horrible AI.
LordKron
Commander
Commander

Postby Cralis on Tue 15 Sep 2015 23:17

Xveers wrote:It's a pretty close inspiration! Also one of if not the best turn based 4x games ever made in my opinion. I still play it!

I'd play SE5 if it wasn't such a flop in the AI department, I'd probably still be playing it. But since my time is so short these days, it's probably a good thing I'm not...
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby aramis on Wed 09 Dec 2015 22:00

While a lot of old school 4X games used limited jump points and and fixed transit destinations, many used some form of keyhole drive - a drive was/is required to use the jump point. That's not Starfire as inspiration - it's Niven, Pournelle, & Niven's CoDominion setting (Falkenberg series, Mote series)... and the Alderson points.

The following verses are much closer to CoDoVerse than to Starfire:
  • Wing Commander
  • Bujold's Vorkosiverse
  • Space: Above and Beyond
  • Doohan's Flight Commander series
  • Stargate universe (SG1/SGA/SGU)
  • VSCA's Diaspora RPG

Note that Doohan is almost the midpoint - activate the drive at the point to swim through the tunnel to the next junction...

And Webber intentionally distances himself from Starfire in the Honorverse, going back to a keyhole drive (involving the Minovski Sails, etc)... but reading the novels, it's clear he was thinking in terms of Starfire battles at HT4+...

I strongly believe that the Alderson Drive was SVC's inspiration for the Starfire Warp points, but note that the keyhole effect is integral to the I drives even in Strikefighter... but I also doubt SVC would admit it in public.

Either way, the restricted tramline effect is GREAT for wargaming (see the 1974 design of Imperium, released in 1977, but Marc's put the original hand-drawn maps up at various times)...

And so it's been reinvented/copied dozens of times. There are more settings that use variations on both
aramis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Return to The Starless Void