Is Starfire dead?

Every discussion that doesn't have a home gets thrown into the Starless Void. Posters included.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

More than likely if your thread got moved, it got moved here. It is highly unlikely that a topic in the starless void can attain enough velocity to escape this sub-forum's event horizon.

Is Starfire dead?

Postby igycrctl on Tue 14 Jun 2016 07:24

I'm posting this in the Starless Void because I wasn't sure if anywhere else was appropriate.

First, let me say that I really like Starfire. I only played briefly, a long time ago, but what I saw has kept me interested. I used to play SFB, but that has fallen by the wayside. I've been a (mostly non-contributing) member of this board for a while and over that time I have noticed a decline in the number of posts made. Recently, I was on the main page and I clicked on Starfire's, i.e. Marvin's profile link and noticed that the owner of the game hadn't logged in since December of 2015. Another name on the front page hadn't logged in since March of last year. I know people get busy with their lives, and I'm not asking for an explanation as what they are doing is none of my business, but I find this upsetting. Projects are mentioned that were started in 2009 and never seem to be worked on. Products that I am interested in are said to be ready for release, but nothing happens. Not saying that nothing is happening, just that my impression is that things are moving VERY slowly.

I haven't played Starfire in 20 years because I can't find anyone to play with, but I keep buying the products because I think the universe and the system are interesting and unique. I have created game aids for myself that will never be used. Having just re-read my previous statement it sounds pretty depressed.

I guess I am just venting, so please excuse my sad ramblings.
igycrctl
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Re: Is Starfire dead?

Postby Cralis on Tue 14 Jun 2016 09:05

igycrctl wrote:First, let me say that I really like Starfire. I only played briefly, a long time ago, but what I saw has kept me interested. I used to play SFB, but that has fallen by the wayside. I've been a (mostly non-contributing) member of this board for a while and over that time I have noticed a decline in the number of posts made. Recently, I was on the main page and I clicked on Starfire's, i.e. Marvin's profile link and noticed that the owner of the game hadn't logged in since December of 2015.

Marvin has more or less passed the torch to the SDS, and to me specifically, back in 2010. I talked with him on the phone almost every week and he's been it the process for the last year and change of moving, getting ready to retire, and dealing with family issues. So that's no surprise.

Another name on the front page hadn't logged in since March of last year. I know people get busy with their lives, and I'm not asking for an explanation as what they are doing is none of my business, but I find this upsetting. Projects are mentioned that were started in 2009 and never seem to be worked on. Products that I am interested in are said to be ready for release, but nothing happens. Not saying that nothing is happening, just that my impression is that things are moving VERY slowly.

That's partially my fault because the website update has been years in coming. Hardly anyone uses the main site so I've always prioritized other work.

But let's look at other facts: in 2010 there were 150 people on this board. There are now almost 500.

I can't tell you the numbers, but sales have increased every year.

We are now selling most of the 1st-3rd edition products and we are in the process of scanning and rebuilding the documents to make the rest available.

We also have a Facebook presence and a couple of related fan sites (Michael's Starfire FB page and the Task Force Games page both repost our material)

We have counters again! Working on new maps.

Admittedly I'm not a marketing person and I have a day job, but we have side projects that are both out in part or in design that we are moving forward with. For example, the miniatures and the swag art.

Yes, slowly. But slow is not dead. It would be nice if I could work on this full time and/or had one or two people who could do the same, but that's not in the cards yet.

We are rebuilding the site now so I expect to have something out later this month... providing real-life doesn't interfere with me or Krenshala.

I haven't played Starfire in 20 years because I can't find anyone to play with, but I keep buying the products because I think the universe and the system are interesting and unique. I have created game aids for myself that will never be used. Having just re-read my previous statement it sounds pretty depressed.

There is a gentlemen on Michael's page that has been playing Starfire since 1980. The same campaign. 3000+ turns later. He finds players interested in playing the battles or does them himself. Quite amazing.

And there are people who don't post (Procyon can't anymore...) who still play. You can see his email to me about the QSR scenario he, his wife, and one of his kids played out.

And you can go into our fiction section and see the various games that people have or are currently playing. If you play over the Internet there are people here who occasionally setup campaign games and look for players.

I guess I am just venting, so please excuse my sad ramblings.

Everything has it's ups and downs. It's ok. Starfire won't die unless an asteroids kills all the members of the SDS at the same time :)
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Xveers on Tue 14 Jun 2016 17:57

It's all a matter of the fact that those who grind on the game do so as they can on their available time. I'd love to get more done myself, but for some reason food and work and other such things seem to all demand their time...
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby igycrctl on Tue 14 Jun 2016 19:21

I'm so glad to hear this. I guess I was just feeling low. I was coming to the site every 6 months to a year or so and hadn't seen any differences between the site traffic. I would hit "new messages" and even after an extended period would only see a, relatively, few posts. Thanks for responding and giving me hope.
igycrctl
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby Cralis on Wed 15 Jun 2016 00:31

igycrctl wrote:I'm so glad to hear this. I guess I was just feeling low. I was coming to the site every 6 months to a year or so and hadn't seen any differences between the site traffic. I would hit "new messages" and even after an extended period would only see a, relatively, few posts. Thanks for responding and giving me hope.

Last September I changed jobs and Krenshala has done so at least twice. Procyon's only Internet connection was cut-off. As a result we've had some periods where our day jobs had to take priority, including after hours training.

As for traffic, it's actually pretty good. Obviously not everyone has an account or logs into their account, but we get at least 40-60 unique non-robot and non-spambot IP addresses that log into the forum most days.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby nukesnipe on Wed 15 Jun 2016 08:10

I was involved in a Starfire Online campaign of 200 turns that took the better part of two years to complete. We finished it up last year and I've been chomping at the bit to start up a solo campaign of my own. Most of my forum posts regarding "plausible" methods of limiting the size of one's fleets are an attempt to keep the campaign manageable.

The only thing holding me back on starting my campaign is time and space. Now that we've finished homeschooling and my son is in college, I am beginning to reclaim some time to myself. Space.... The long-term plan is to convert part of my garage into a gaming area with a nice 6x8 foot miniatures table, but there are other things that need to be accomplished before I get there (like figuring out what the hell to get my wife for our 26th anniversary tomorrow!).

I've been toying around with playing using Tabletop Simulator and Vassel, but both feel a bit sterile to me. Although, it does address the space issue....

So, as for me, Starfire is not dead; just hibernating fitfully. ;)
Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Captain
Captain

Postby Vandervecken on Thu 16 Jun 2016 09:36

Hey Nukesnipe, my 26th anniversary is in 1 week. 1990 was a good year to get married, eh? Congrats !

I'm doing Lomn's campaign, just into the 40's turn-wise. See the Price of Destiny campaign. I'm not writing much, and what I did write actually wasn't MY empire or Lomn's campaign. When I die or somehow feel in a great position (that was funny), I'll write about my actual empire.
I weary of the chasssse. Wait for me. I will be mercccciful and quick.
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby krenshala on Tue 21 Jun 2016 10:13

As Cralis says, I had three different jobs last year (the second change was my idea, the first was not) so getting all of that sorted pretty much killed my free time. Things are relatively settled for me again, though my (now 10yo) son eats quite a bit of my time (and rightly so, I feel). I'm attempting to get him into Starfire right now, actually, and I'm putting time back into things here. Its good to be back into it, since I really love the universe of this game.

For me, its my 20th anniversary in about a month. Thank you for reminding me I need to get something for my wife so she doesn't think I forgot. :D
-- krenshala
None survive the harvest!

Yeah, I'm finally back (again)! Sometimes, life (and 9yo son's) don't leave you time to play SF and earn a paycheck. :/

No, really! Matt actually made me an admin here!
krenshala
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby nukesnipe on Tue 21 Jun 2016 11:02

krenshala wrote:For me, its my 20th anniversary in about a month. Thank you for reminding me I need to get something for my wife so she doesn't think I forgot. :D

For me, Oreos and flowers worked well! :D
Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Captain
Captain

Return to The Starless Void