Saw my first total eclipse last week, WOW.

News about space exploration and scientific advancements. What do you find interesting?

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
The forum is intended only for space and science information. Discussions about how it applies to Starfire is encouraged - there might be some great ideas we can use!

1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Saw my first total eclipse last week, WOW.

Postby Vandervecken on Tue 29 Aug 2017 20:13

I made the pilgrimage from Minnesnowta to Missouri to see the eclipse. A great experience for me, my wife, and the Khanesse (my daughter). Some people only miles away, never saw anything but clouds, and only 40 miles away both NE and SW it was raining lightly still. Yup, we got a bit lucky. The clouds opened up about 20 minutes before totality and pretty much held off returning till 15 minutes after.

my best photo came from my old camera. Because it is not a great camera and due to it's setting, I could see a tiny bit of red at about the 2 o'clock position, that was a prominence. But a better camera would show the corona at about 4 times the size I got. No matter, the memories I have outstrip any photo. I hope others got a good view as well. Procyon probably needed to travel just 1 or 2 hours to get to totality.

P.S. The trip home took 4.5 hours longer than the trip to the Kansas City area, as Iowa's I-35 Interstate was just one long traffic jam.

I tried to add a picture but am completely inadequate to the task.
I weary of the chasssse. Wait for me. I will be mercccciful and quick.
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Saw my first total eclipse last week, WOW.

Postby Cralis on Wed 30 Aug 2017 00:30

You know, I was going to add a picture I tricked my iPhone into taking. Came out pretty good considering.

Attaching files is not really a thing on the forum, but if you have another site, or one of the photo imaging sites, you can always link the url to your picture(s). I know that I'd love to see them!
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby nukesnipe on Wed 30 Aug 2017 07:03

We saw about 75% totality in the Ft Worth area. The coolest thing I noticed was the light passing through the Live Oak trees:

Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Captain
Captain

Postby Cralis on Wed 30 Aug 2017 12:34

Oh yeah! I have several pictures like that with different thickness of solar limb from different periods of the eclipse. Turns out the light filtering through leaves has the same effect as a pinhole poked into a screen.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Return to Space and Science