"Impossible" Microwave drive has been verified

News about space exploration and scientific advancements. What do you find interesting?

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
The forum is intended only for space and science information. Discussions about how it applies to Starfire is encouraged - there might be some great ideas we can use!

1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

"Impossible" Microwave drive has been verified

Postby Cralis on Fri 01 Aug 2014 00:52

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/201 ... pace-drive

Whoa. And just think, this is an LEL drive...
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Re: "Impossible" Microwave drive has been verified

Postby Moonsword on Fri 01 Aug 2014 15:18

Interesting! Could it be a reasonable Starfire background candidate for an LEL precursor to the I drive?
Moonsword
Commander
Commander

Postby Cralis on Fri 01 Aug 2014 16:00

Moonsword wrote:Interesting! Could it be a reasonable Starfire background candidate for an LEL precursor to the I drive?

Not how we've defined it. There are several explanations being given for the Q-Drive/EM-Drive working the way it does, including radiative pressure against dark matter. But the closest equivalent to the STARFIRE I drive would be an Alcubierre Drive. In fact, our current explanation for SSF is very similar.

HOWEVER, it does give us a plausible LEL drive that doesn't require a ton of fuel. That was one of our prerequisites for a true "STARFIRE LEL Drive". Cp is similar to the VASMIR drive and that's where it's inspiration derives from. So... what inspiration for an LEL drive do you think we should go with here?
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Graybeard on Sat 02 Aug 2014 18:27

Good evening, Cralis,

I've been a proponent of the old, "If it works, don't fix it" motto for some time, now. If the present explanation for SSF space drive works, why change it?

Regards,
Graybeard
I was watching "Space Patrol" live on B & W TV when most of you were gleams in your parents' eyes.
Graybeard
Captain
Captain

Postby krenshala on Tue 18 Nov 2014 00:44

Its been interesting following what I can on the EM-Drive. I still think Dr. Jim Woodwards Mach-Effect Thruster is going to produce more Newtons per Watt, however. Dr. Woodward has reportedly been making some good headway in the last couple of years.
-- krenshala
None survive the harvest!

Yeah, I'm finally back (again)! Sometimes, life (and 9yo son's) don't leave you time to play SF and earn a paycheck. :/

No, really! Matt actually made me an admin here!
krenshala
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Cralis on Tue 18 Nov 2014 01:40

You know, I read just a couple days ago (and forgot about this topic or I'd have posted it) an article that said the NASA "verification" test was just as flawed as the old anti-gravity spinning wheel test of years ago.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby aramis on Wed 04 Nov 2015 15:54

Nasa is still testing the EmDrive...
http://www.iflscience.com/space/nasa-al ... ive-tests0

So, they've ruled out atmospheric interaction (by vacuum testing).
They've ruled out magnetic field interaction (because it didn't drop thrust when magnetically isolated).
They failed to rule out generating a space warp, but that's a side issue.*
They've ruled out ionization of the copper envelope. (Readily detected at the needed speeds of ions to produce the thrust by the lack of secondary radiation cascades.)

* If it's generating a space warp, it's not generating one at useful strength.

It's not the I drive of Starfire - it's a very low thrust thruster.

I think they should put one on a cube-sat, and put it up on the next mission... and see if it works in orbit. Why? Because, if it does, then it doesn't matter if it breaks Newtons laws. And if it doesn't, well, then it's a non-issue best left for engineering grad students to figure out.
aramis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Return to Space and Science