Stellarators

News about space exploration and scientific advancements. What do you find interesting?

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
The forum is intended only for space and science information. Discussions about how it applies to Starfire is encouraged - there might be some great ideas we can use!

1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Re: Stellarators

Postby szurkey on Thu 26 Nov 2015 08:21

Cralis wrote:szurkey, sadly this is where having a lack of direction in research hurts us. Because it boils down to a "short term" or "long term" solution. Those who choose the short term will realize that goal in a short period, but in the long run they'll be outdone by the long term solution.

In theory we should be doing both to gain the short term solution as a leg-up to the long term solution, but that's rarely how resources are allocated.

We will probably have to agree to disagree on this one. An implicit assumption on your part is that we have 100+ years to get it competitive with dirty in dirty coal power plants. My assumption is that we don't have anywhere near that amount of time. Despite what you hear in the news, the largest CO2 producer isn't the United States. It is China. In 2013 China's CO2 emissions were TWICE that of the US. And it has only gotten worse since than. Power from fusion that is cost competitive with wind and solar isn't going to matter, because the developing world is using the cheapest energy they can get, coal. LFTR's that are cost competitive with dirty coal in dirty coal power plants can make a HUGE difference. I just hope we have the 30 years for China (I could say what I think of the US and EU for not pursuing LFTR's, but I will be nice) to get them developed and deployed in mass.
szurkey
Commander
Commander

Postby Goose on Fri 11 Dec 2015 18:33

And now I hear it's been turned on. Should be interesting to see what happens next.
Goose
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby Cralis on Fri 11 Dec 2015 19:00

Goose wrote:And now I hear it's been turned on. Should be interesting to see what happens next.

My understanding is that it will be filled with helium for a month to show that the containment field doesn't leak.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby aramis on Mon 14 Dec 2015 04:51

As of yet, it's just a helium plasma container... the first tests to see if it will fuse hydrogen are supposed to be "next month" - I can't refind that page. Another article, however, mentions that the current test was just whether it would generate plasma at all...

Inquisitr.com wrote:Germany successfully launched its thermonuclear reactor Wendelstein 7-X on Thursday. Built with an initial investment of more than a billion euros, the reactor is expected to keep super-hot plasma contained within itself for more than 30 minutes. In the first test phase, the reactor successfully produced a special super-hot gas. Though it was for a very brief period of just a tenth of a second, Wendelstein 7-X is being lauded as the first concrete step towards producing cheap energy in abundant quantities for long periods of time.

http://www.inquisitr.com/2628842/wendel ... ap-energy/
aramis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby dazrand on Fri 05 Feb 2016 06:56

They did the first hydrogen test: http://www.ipp.mpg.de/4010154/02_16
dazrand
SDS Member
SDS Member

Previous

Return to Space and Science