3D Print with your phone?

News about space exploration and scientific advancements. What do you find interesting?

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
The forum is intended only for space and science information. Discussions about how it applies to Starfire is encouraged - there might be some great ideas we can use!

1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

3D Print with your phone?

Postby Cralis on Sat 26 Mar 2016 19:09

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ol ... escription

What do ya'll think?

Assuming this is legit, I have two questions I don't immediately see answers for:

1. How long does it take?

2. What does the material cost?
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Re: 3D Print with your phone?

Postby Whitecold on Thu 31 Mar 2016 11:53

This sounds awesome, if it really works like advertised. I kind of want to print my Mywiel fleet now with this, though I guess I'd need to put in some additional work to make the models printer compatible

From their page they say 3/4 h per cm, and that they'll charge 15$ per 100ml bottle
Whitecold
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: 3D Print with your phone?

Postby Cralis on Thu 31 Mar 2016 13:02

Yes they have a FAQ now, so here is what else I've gleaned:

1. max size print takes 5 hours. but this is in vertical height, not volume. So miniatures probably won't take long

For reference, they say 1h 55m per inch of height.

2. the demo says 94 cents for 6.3 cm^3 ... but I'm pretty sure this is deceptive. The demo object in the example is that web-like sphere so there's no way it was that volume of material. They had to have included air space in the calculation.

I'd be willing to bet miniatures like ours would take most of a bottle, probably multiple bottles for the largest.

3. max dimensions are 3 x 5 x 2 inches (l x h x w). Some of our models are longer than 3 inches :( That said, we could probably do them vertically sitting on their aft section but then we severely extend the time to print.

4. NO information on the spring engine. I'm beginning to think it's not intelligently automated at all, unless by timer. Could be a very bad thing.

All that said, I'm very tempted to try it.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Return to Space and Science