Graded Diplomats Need Some Love

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Graded Diplomats Need Some Love

Postby SCC on Sat 09 Feb 2019 04:00

So I was doing some Leader stuff and I noticed something interesting: LG+0 Graded Diplomats without special abilities are useless as they don't modify the other race's RC (Unless they reduce it to 0, which I find highly doubtful!)

So does anyone have any suggestions for how things should be changed?
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
 
Posts: 791
Joined: Fri 08 Mar 2013 15:11

Re: Graded Diplomats Need Some Love

Postby Lomn on Sat 09 Feb 2019 19:49

You do get the leader authority (own ship and escorts), which isn't nothing. They're basically a pocket admiral for purposes of short-circuiting the communications loop.
User avatar
Lomn
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
 
Posts: 519
Joined: Tue 30 Oct 2012 08:19
Location: MSFC, Alabama

Re: Graded Diplomats Need Some Love

Postby SCC on Sat 09 Feb 2019 22:05

Lomn wrote:You do get the leader authority (own ship and escorts), which isn't nothing. They're basically a pocket admiral for purposes of short-circuiting the communications loop.

Pretty sure that Generals and Governors can do this as well.
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
 
Posts: 791
Joined: Fri 08 Mar 2013 15:11

Re: Graded Diplomats Need Some Love

Postby Cralis on Sun 10 Feb 2019 18:20

SCC wrote:
Lomn wrote:You do get the leader authority (own ship and escorts), which isn't nothing. They're basically a pocket admiral for purposes of short-circuiting the communications loop.

Pretty sure that Generals and Governors can do this as well.


So? It's a basic function of graded leaders.

But maybe we could have a -1 RC for Diplomat LG+0
Image
User avatar
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member
 
Posts: 11014
Joined: Tue 30 Jun 2009 19:27
Location: Oregon, USA

Re: Graded Diplomats Need Some Love

Postby SCC on Mon 11 Feb 2019 03:49

Cralis wrote:
SCC wrote:
Lomn wrote:You do get the leader authority (own ship and escorts), which isn't nothing. They're basically a pocket admiral for purposes of short-circuiting the communications loop.

Pretty sure that Generals and Governors can do this as well.


So? It's a basic function of graded leaders.

I think that makes it even more important to change things then

Cralis wrote:But maybe we could have a -1 RC for Diplomat LG+0

At a minimum.
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
 
Posts: 791
Joined: Fri 08 Mar 2013 15:11

Re: Graded Diplomats Need Some Love

Postby Lomn on Mon 11 Feb 2019 12:47

SCC wrote:
Lomn wrote:You do get the leader authority (own ship and escorts), which isn't nothing. They're basically a pocket admiral for purposes of short-circuiting the communications loop.

Pretty sure that Generals and Governors can do this as well.
Not intrinsically at LG+0. Governors and Generals only get "forces on the same planet", not a space-based fleet.

That said, I agree with the above that any LG+0 diplomat should be superior to no diplomat at all, so some bonus better than -0 RC seems appropriate. The Soother diplomat is two full grades better than a generic diplomat; none of the other leader types have that much gap from default to their "improved default" specialization. I'd look at adjusting not just the LG+0 default bonus but that whole line.
User avatar
Lomn
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
 
Posts: 519
Joined: Tue 30 Oct 2012 08:19
Location: MSFC, Alabama

Re: Graded Diplomats Need Some Love

Postby Starfire on Sun 17 Mar 2019 16:34

SCC wrote:So I was doing some Leader stuff and I noticed something interesting: LG+0 Graded Diplomats without special abilities are useless as they don't modify the other race's RC (Unless they reduce it to 0, which I find highly doubtful!)

So does anyone have any suggestions for how things should be changed?


So, skipping the rest of this entire conversation, let me explain the original thinking behind this.

ANY RC modification ends up significantly affecting the overall results of the communication and relationship acceptance tables. Further, until much later in the game you probably only need a single diplomat, and they are likely to level quickly. So, we figured there was likely to be a large learning curve for a diplomat talking to space faring races. You are welcome to house rule a -1 RC, but I would not do anything more.
Nerf Rock, Paper is fine. Signed: Scissors.
Nerf Scissors, Rock is fine. Signed: Paper.
Nerf Paper, Scissors are fine. Signed: Rock.
User avatar
Starfire
Marvin Lamb
Marvin Lamb
 
Posts: 792
Joined: Tue 30 Jun 2009 19:59
Location: The Villages, FL

Re: Graded Diplomats Need Some Love

Postby Cralis on Sun 17 Mar 2019 22:24

Starfire wrote:ANY RC modification ends up significantly affecting the overall results of the communication and relationship acceptance tables. Further, until much later in the game you probably only need a single diplomat, and they are likely to level quickly. So, we figured there was likely to be a large learning curve for a diplomat talking to space faring races. You are welcome to house rule a -1 RC, but I would not do anything more.


I didn't explain it... but that was my thinking as well. The -1 RC would represent the fact that a graded diplomat being present is better than a non-descript diplomat in any negotiations.

That and the fact that a graded leader could be present if first contact goes south, if he survives then he's going to be able to help consolidate local forces until a graded admiral can move in with better forces.
Image
User avatar
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member
 
Posts: 11014
Joined: Tue 30 Jun 2009 19:27
Location: Oregon, USA


Return to Solar Starfire

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests