Quick Start Rules -- Questions and Updates

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Quick Start Rules -- Questions and Updates

Postby Moonsword on Sun 20 Aug 2017 18:51

I don't think the necessary tech to do that is used in the QSR. In Solar, there's a tech called HAWK that opens off of SL 9 in G, Pt, or R that lets you do it at a penalty.
Moonsword
Commander
Commander

Postby Cralis on Sun 20 Aug 2017 20:53

grondak wrote:Concerning Datalink and the Rear Arc:

Can a ship fire into its rear arc if the other member of the Datalinked pair can see the enemy ship?

No. The QSR is based around the first few SLs of SSF. That tech isn't available until much later, so it is not included in the QSR.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby grondak on Sun 20 Aug 2017 21:02

Cool.
We shan't do that any longer. :)
grondak
Iguana Sunlord
Iguana Sunlord

Postby grondak on Mon 21 Aug 2017 18:49

That table in How to Engage a Target is very small. I blew it up to full-page size (but it's fuzzy). Would you consider duplicating it as the last page, and making it full-page, too? That way it looks smooth when printed and is big enough for grongards to read. ;)
grondak
Iguana Sunlord
Iguana Sunlord

Postby Cralis on Wed 23 Aug 2017 01:25

How's this?

viewtopic.php?f=96&t=3293

Also, we've updated the QSR Advanced, QSR Final, and QSR Miniature rules in the downloads section. They include the following changes:

* Changed rules release number to 2017-08.
* Added a hyperlink in the Point Defense rule to the relevant tech item.
* Added a note in the Scenarios about the maps being fixed in size (QSR only).
* Replaced the deprecated (M1) system with X on CA Type 2 (R), CA Type 4 (Pt), and DD Type 2 (R).
* Replaced the depreciated (M1) system with Mg on BS2 Type 1 (R), BS2 Type 2 (Pt), BS1 Type 1 (Pt), and BS1 Type 2 (R).
* Removed the (M1) system from the ship system’s table.
* Removed mention of Multiplex Tracking in War Point Transit effects paragraph.
* Updated blind-spot template in the cutout section. (QSR only)
* Updated weapons table in text to match one in cutout section.

Note to everyone who downloaded the combined QSR rules on WGV, that has already been updated as well. If you don't know about this, you can find the combined QSR rules at http://www.wargamevault.com/product/213 ... tart-Rules and the QSR miniature rules at http://www.wargamevault.com/product/214 ... Miniatures
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby grondak on Wed 23 Aug 2017 19:03

Wow, this table and turn mode chart looks great! And it solves a problem we've noticed: too many papers moving around. Now they are all in one.

Thank you!
We'll try it out next weekend!
G
grondak
Iguana Sunlord
Iguana Sunlord

Postby Vandervecken on Thu 24 Aug 2017 20:43

Downloads section not available to me and Temp downloads section doesn't show as updated (2017-08). Is it just me?

Edit - Only checked the original Quick-start rules. The later 2 WERE updated. Thanks again.
I weary of the chasssse. Wait for me. I will be mercccciful and quick.
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Cralis on Thu 24 Aug 2017 20:56

Vandervecken wrote:Downloads section not available to me and Temp downloads section doesn't show as updated (2017-08). Is it just me?

The website isn't updated yet... I have part of it, I just need you know, less kids, no solar eclipse trips, Starfire as my main 40-hour-a-week job...

Edit - Only checked the original Quick-start rules. The later 2 WERE updated. Thanks again.

And the QSR miniature rules were updated with the same changes. And Daz built a reference sheet with turn mode tracks to go with the various QSRs.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby grondak on Mon 04 Sep 2017 08:11

Datalink (Z) takes 0 HS. QSR has no costs tied to the systems. Thus, every ship in the QSR could have a Z in them. Thoughts?

It might not be so useful on smaller ships... but the DD/CL/CA-sized ships and BSs within two hexes of each other would be way more interesting with Zs.
grondak
Iguana Sunlord
Iguana Sunlord

Postby Cralis on Mon 04 Sep 2017 17:00

grondak wrote:Datalink (Z) takes 0 HS. QSR has no costs tied to the systems. Thus, every ship in the QSR could have a Z in them. Thoughts?

The QSR is designed so that there are no costs to the systems. You only have to worry about available hull space. So yes, you could put Z in all of your ships. We kind of expected it :)

It might not be so useful on smaller ships... but the DD/CL/CA-sized ships and BSs within two hexes of each other would be way more interesting with Zs.

It is ALWAYS useful. If for no other reason than it allows you to shoot more than one ship at a time.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

PreviousNext

Return to Solar Starfire