Quick Start Rules -- Questions and Updates

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Quick Start Rules -- Questions and Updates

Postby Cralis on Sun 06 Aug 2017 19:59

grondak wrote:Page 3 shows a blind spot, but the cut-out blind spot is different. The page 3 blind spot has a slightly different conformation.

I'm not sure what's up with that. It looks like the firing arc was used instead of the blind spot.

Page 3 shows a Weapon Chart, but the cut-out Weapon Chart is different-- the one on page 3 is missing sprint missiles and energy beams.

Remember when I said that the QSR was actually three separate parts that were released at different times? When that chart was built the other weapons weren't part of it yet. We just need to catch it up with the combined version.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby grondak on Sun 06 Aug 2017 20:34

Thanks for the clarifications. I am playing the game and reading the rules when I have spare time, so I expect my fresh set of eyeballs is turning up these things.

I still love the game! This simple form is enough to be playable in "about an hour" which is about right for a lunch break. It might taste better than the food!
grondak
Iguana Sunlord
Iguana Sunlord

Postby Cralis on Mon 07 Aug 2017 01:18

grondak wrote:Thanks for the clarifications. I am playing the game and reading the rules when I have spare time, so I expect my fresh set of eyeballs is turning up these things.

Absolutely. I love new perspectives! It's too easy to fall into the trap of "knowing" what it's supposed to be and not realizing it's typo'd or doesn't read the same way to someone else.

I still love the game! This simple form is enough to be playable in "about an hour" which is about right for a lunch break. It might taste better than the food!

I've actually done that myself. Taught a few people over lunch or after work. The QSR was actually designed for taking to a game store on gaming night and showing new players the game. It works very well for that, especially if you have ship control sheets pre-printed and ready to hand out!

I just need to find a good way to take my miniatures. I'm thinking I might need to get some styrofoam and make cut-outs in a box or something to keep them safe during transport.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby grondak on Fri 11 Aug 2017 18:53

:)

Say, the first CA in the Ship Roster looks like this:
CA - Type 1 (R)
[3] S×7 A×8 Q (I I) R Q (I I) R R Q (I I) R R Q R R Y (I I) R [4]
Mg loadout: R×80

There is no Mg present in this CA. It's atypical to refer to the Mg loadout if we mean only those missiles in the system itself, so I suspect there is supposed to be an Mg there.

I wanna use this ship during my next battle (which moved up to tomorrow), so I'm going to jam an Mg in the ship after the second engine room like the CL next to it. Thoughts?
grondak
Iguana Sunlord
Iguana Sunlord

Postby grondak on Fri 11 Aug 2017 19:05

Huh, I just added up the space cost of the existing equipment in
S×7 A×8 Q (I I) R Q (I I) R R Q (I I) R R Q R R Y (I I) R

It totals to 60.

There's no space for an Mg. :( Have to lose an A to gain an Mg.

Now there might be different thoughts.
grondak
Iguana Sunlord
Iguana Sunlord

Postby Cralis on Fri 11 Aug 2017 19:55

Now you're dealing with the full set of rules. According to rule AA7, every launcher stores 10 tactical turns worth of ammunition inside of the launcher ... an internal magazine. Since R only have a Rate of Fire (ROF) of 1, then it stores 10 R munitions internally.

Since there are 8 R, that means you have an internal magazine capacity of 80 R munitions.

:D
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby grondak on Fri 11 Aug 2017 20:47

The Mg is listed on the QSR on page 5...

Annnnd I get it! If the ship has an Mg, the Mg adds 60R or 20Pt to the ship. Those numbers are definitely not the same as the Mg loadouts mentioned for the other ships. Whew!

Oh I've been meaning to thank you for the updates to the rules file. I downloaded it last evening to print.

Thank you thank you! :)
G
grondak
Iguana Sunlord
Iguana Sunlord

Postby SCC on Fri 11 Aug 2017 21:24

Cralis wrote:Now you're dealing with the full set of rules. According to rule AA7, every launcher stores 10 tactical turns worth of ammunition inside of the launcher ... an internal magazine. Since R only have a Rate of Fire (ROF) of 1, then it stores 10 R munitions internally.

Since there are 8 R, that means you have an internal magazine capacity of 80 R munitions.

:D

Unless there's been a change that I missed each launcher stores ten volleys, that is turns of fire, internally
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Cralis on Sat 12 Aug 2017 20:13

grondak wrote:The Mg is listed on the QSR on page 5...

This is my bad, I wasn't paying attention to the topic and thought you had transitioned to the SUN Training Scenarios. No worries, the rule is the same in the QSR. Each launcher has 10 tactical turns of fire worth of munitions stored in an internal magazine inside the launcher.

Annnnd I get it! If the ship has an Mg, the Mg adds 60R or 20Pt to the ship. Those numbers are definitely not the same as the Mg loadouts mentioned for the other ships. Whew!

Correct. Magazines add additional munitions capacity so your unit can fire for more than 10 tactical turns in an engagement.

SCC wrote:Unless there's been a change that I missed each launcher stores ten volleys, that is turns of fire, internally

That is EXACTLY what I wrote above. My mistake was referring to AA7 when he was still talking about the QSR rules. Fortunately, the rules are the same for this.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby grondak on Sun 20 Aug 2017 16:25

Concerning Datalink and the Rear Arc:

Can a ship fire into its rear arc if the other member of the Datalinked pair can see the enemy ship?

This is caused by the engines interfering with the ship’s sensors.

The Rats and Iguanas fought again today and their players had to dice for this situation. We allowed one ship to spot for another.
grondak
Iguana Sunlord
Iguana Sunlord

PreviousNext

Return to Solar Starfire