Quick Start Rules -- Questions and Updates

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Quick Start Rules -- Questions and Updates

Postby Whitecold on Mon 04 Sep 2017 18:23

Cralis wrote:
grondak wrote:Datalink (Z) takes 0 HS. QSR has no costs tied to the systems. Thus, every ship in the QSR could have a Z in them. Thoughts?

The QSR is designed so that there are no costs to the systems. You only have to worry about available hull space. So yes, you could put Z in all of your ships. We kind of expected it :)

It might not be so useful on smaller ships... but the DD/CL/CA-sized ships and BSs within two hexes of each other would be way more interesting with Zs.

It is ALWAYS useful. If for no other reason than it allows you to shoot more than one ship at a time.

I think the point here is that in a campaign Z is an expensive system, and not worth on the smallest ships, and if you phase it in via refits, your largest units have priority.
Teaching new players "Z is free armor" is not the lesson that should be taken away from the quickstart rules.
Whitecold
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby grondak on Mon 04 Sep 2017 18:31

Whitecold wrote:I think the point here is that in a campaign Z is an expensive system, and not worth on the smallest ships, and if you phase it in via refits, your largest units have priority.
Teaching new players "Z is free armor" is not the lesson that should be taken away from the quickstart rules.

Hi Whitecold, nice to meetcha!

Great points! When I told the Rats player about the QSR ship-building rules, I mentioned costs aren't in these rules. I said t many systems could be so expensive that they'd be prohibited if we ever played as Rats versus Iguanas in Solar Starfire!
grondak
Iguana Sunlord
Iguana Sunlord

Postby grondak on Mon 02 Oct 2017 09:16

I noticed the victory conditions for Scenario #6 WP Battle are interesting.

Most battles are listed as a battle to the death. This one is not. This one is ambiguous-- and actually might not be a battle to the death. It seems it ends when one side has too few ships to continue.
If Player A has no units on the map at the end of the battle and Player B has four or more ships that survived the battle, Player B wins a major victory. If Player A has no units on the map at the end of the battle and Player B has less than four ships, Player B wins a minor victory. If Player A has any units left on the map at the end of the battle, Player A wins a minor victory. If Player A has any units on the map at the end of the battle and destroyed more than six ships of Player B, Player A wins a major victory.

I get the feeling the battle should end after N turns. We rolled 4D10+10 as the number of turns (got 39).

What's the thought around here on this victory condition?
grondak
Iguana Sunlord
Iguana Sunlord

Postby Cralis on Mon 02 Oct 2017 17:25

grondak wrote:I noticed the victory conditions for Scenario #6 WP Battle are interesting.

Most battles are listed as a battle to the death. This one is not. This one is ambiguous-- and actually might not be a battle to the death. It seems it ends when one side has too few ships to continue.
If Player A has any units left on the map at the end of the battle, Player A wins a minor victory.

This is the important part of the victory conditions. To win, player B has to eliminate all of player A. Player A, however, merely has to have units remaining at the end of the battle! The intent is that if player B cannot finish off player A, then Player A wins.

I get the feeling the battle should end after N turns. We rolled 4D10+10 as the number of turns (got 39).

What's the thought around here on this victory condition?

You could do a turn limit, but we chose not to. If I was going to do that, I'd put it as a single number for simplicity. Probably 30 turns
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby grondak on Mon 02 Oct 2017 20:12

Cralis wrote:
If Player A has any units left on the map at the end of the battle, Player A wins a minor victory.

Ooops. :lol:
grondak
Iguana Sunlord
Iguana Sunlord

Postby procyon on Tue 03 Oct 2017 05:35

The victory conditions come from one playtest where my wife borrowed from the oldest girls tactics and ran past the WP defenses. She defeated the enemy ships but had no intention of trying to defeat the bases.

So, you get a victory condition where the attacker has surviving units in system, without clearing the map of defenders.

ETA
But looking at your mid-action report, it looks like you have already figured this out. :D
...and I will show you fear in a handful of dust....

Cralis wrote:I would point out that the "what was" which is different from "here and now" can easily change in the "future then."
procyon
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

Postby Moonsword on Wed 04 Oct 2017 06:12

I'd think that if you can kill the enemy's ships and they don't have ships left in system to deal with you, you can potentially starve the WP bases by intercepting (and possibly plundering) the freighters attempting to deliver maintenance. Of course, you'd better have supplies on hand yourself, be prepared to live off enemy supplies captured from their CFN, or be able to blockade run the forts to get your own maintenance while you wait for the bases to weaken enough to take out. :mrgreen:
Moonsword
Commander
Commander

Previous

Return to Solar Starfire