Campaign set-up questions

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Campaign set-up questions

Postby TheAcct on Fri 09 Aug 2013 15:32

So, I've decided to abandon my conversion project for the time being. Just not what I thought it was going to be. Instead I'm going to give a solo campaign a whack, see how much of a handle on the rules I actually have.

I've read the forums as best as I could, found the spreadsheets, and have a few questions before I take off.

I was thinking of starting at a higher EL (4 or 5) and was looking at rolling up my starting tech as a NPR as well as Y18 stuff to get me started. Would this work, or am I better off starting at EL 4 or 5 and having the appropriate SLs at 1 lower; if so, should I automatically open branches?

I was also looking at multiple weapon tech trees (from part of the NPR design) and was wondering, is there any advantage in having more than 1 SRW and LRW tree?

Starting Resources: If I'm going to set up as an NPR, should I use the normal allotment or should I used based on the gov't type and roll population (already decided on Rep Democracy).

Mahalo
TheAcct
Lieutenant SG
Lieutenant SG

Re: Campaign set-up questions

Postby procyon on Fri 09 Aug 2013 15:47

Ummm....
In that it is a solo game, you can set it up however you want.
NPR type set up. Mod'ed standard start.
Completely different set up that you think is cool...

Pick something you really like, then build on it.
It is a lot of work. It will be less work and more fun if your race is something you really like.
...and I will show you fear in a handful of dust....

Cralis wrote:I would point out that the "what was" which is different from "here and now" can easily change in the "future then."
procyon
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

Postby PracticalM on Fri 09 Aug 2013 18:43

Or try something like this

http://www.starfiredesign.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=98&p=396&hilit=bid+technology#p396

The chart uses EL8 but if you want EL4 just change the numbers from SL7 to SL1 and use the minimum bids

I've used this well and in a multi-player game where players bid on technology there's some interesting information if you lost a bid you know someone out there has higher tech than you in that one tree.
--
Jeffrey Kessler
PracticalM
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby olivertheorem on Fri 09 Aug 2013 18:54

I rolled tech for the starting race in my solo campaign last night, and I swear it took two hours all told. Granted, it was my first time doing it, but still.

That's including rolling all the SL's, EL/SL progress, and whether or not branches were open, all at EL1.

Made me wish I was a programmer (or really, really good with Excel) so I could automate the whole thing.
olivertheorem
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Vandervecken on Sat 10 Aug 2013 00:45

Yea, I looked at that and just decided to go with the standard start values, the dice made some things different with my different empires fairly shortly besides SRW and LRW and Military engine type; especially getting breakthroughs, so I saved a few hours that way. But I understand why some will want the set-up more randomized and personal, but there is a price, eh?
I weary of the chasssse. Wait for me. I will be mercccciful and quick.
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby TheAcct on Fri 23 Aug 2013 16:46

So, I've run some different start ups trying to get a feel for the game now. Think I'm pretty confident in what I want to start with.

Now for me it comes down to how. Playing games like GalCiv and MOO2, I'm the type of player that likes to max out his starting/near starting systems. And in a solo game, with no NPR activation until I start moving about, this is really appealing to me, as there's no worry about someone marching in and whacking me while I set up.

My home system is going to be Sol, and 3 explored adjacent systems, with a set up as per K2.01.1. Starting infrastructure of 2000 PU on Earth, 100 PU spread out on other bodies, and 100 IU.

My basic plan is to build as many freighters as I can, mothball my survey fleet, and sell off my battle fleet to boost my starting income/colonization boom, and sell off my IUs as needed to finance more colonization.

My big questions are:
1) What is better for a starting leased freighter fleet; pure (H) freighters, pure (Qv) freighters, hybrid freighters, or a mix of the two. Considering I want to get as much colonization in as I can for the lowest possible costs.

2) Should I continue to build leased freighters to (ideally) keep up with my increase in colonization ability?

3) For all the desolate worlds, except the high population asteroid belts, how many colonists should I put there before I should stop and move on, letting normal growth fill them up?

My planned racial traits are:
-40 Ground Combat, -3 Initial Contact and Political Offer (might change them to -6 each instead), 10+EL*3 Build rate, -10% Maint, -15% EL Cost, -19% SL Cost. [My test empire is the Terran Enclave, rather militaristic, really Xenophobic; -40 ground combat because I'm the bomb them out from orbit type of guy]

Thoughts?
TheAcct
Lieutenant SG
Lieutenant SG

Postby olivertheorem on Fri 23 Aug 2013 19:12

I can only speak to #3. I think standard procedure is to stop colonizing once the population hits small size, as it takes 2 PTU for every PU, making it less efficient.
olivertheorem
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby procyon on Fri 23 Aug 2013 21:09

On FTs.
At the start pure H FT have the best return on investment. FT4 is the best return but you are talking fractions of a percent. The way to figure the return is (lease income - maint cost) / build cost.
Often FT beat out desolate colonization on return.

On when to stop colonizing desolate bodies, that's more of a judgement call. If you feel safe, you can wait on free growth to help out. If you have spare cash then increasing immediate income can be ok. If you are close to going up an EL lay off colonizing desolate bodies to their max as the EL growth will end up wasted on them if they are close to max pops.

And you can't sell of your war fleet at the start. You can scrap it for a percent of its value or mothball it. Most mothball unless you plan to stay at home a bit as making up the lost value of the warfleet takes a bit of time when you finally need to rebuild.

And although H FT have a slight edge in return on Qv FT, don't neglect Qv FT as they help with colonization and are also your troopships.
...and I will show you fear in a handful of dust....

Cralis wrote:I would point out that the "what was" which is different from "here and now" can easily change in the "future then."
procyon
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

Postby Cralis on Fri 23 Aug 2013 22:26

Of course, I always point out that unless you are playing a competition game against other players, mothballing your fleet and squeezing every MCr out of your assets is not the most important detail in the game. ESPECIALLY if you are playing a solo game.

Why?

Because who are you going to beat? Yourself? The NPRs roll power based against your power. So in solo games I always play more realistically because it makes the game more interesting and every 0.001 MCr extra doesn't make a difference.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby SCC on Sat 24 Aug 2013 00:39

For colonization I'd advise settling the best world in any given system first and than transporting people from there once it gets a big enough population.

Now I'm not sure legal those two are but here goes:
If you've lent freighters not pull them out of the pool unless you have to to move population, it's more cost effective to simply higher them back, plus if the numbers don't line up you're not losing money on slack

V5.12.2.1 means that you only pay the difference in emplacement costs, although full shipping costs still need to be paid
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Next

Return to Solar Starfire