Campaign set-up questions

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Campaign set-up questions (R&D)

Postby TheAcct on Wed 18 Sep 2013 11:49

Okay, so been running my solo campaign for a few turns now, and I've hit something I don't know how to deal with.

Rolled a '01' for my SL3 Armor project, which gives me a focused breakthrough as well as completing Armor SL3. What can I do with the breakthrough? Can I immediately apply it to the SL4 Armor knot, or does it become a random breakthrough?
TheAcct
Lieutenant SG
Lieutenant SG

Re: Campaign set-up questions

Postby PracticalM on Wed 18 Sep 2013 17:19

Under Focused breakthroughs look at N11.05 you roll a d10 and if it's anything other than a 0 you get the knot cleared.

On a 0 it converts to a random breakthrough and apply it to your breakthrough list as per N11.04
--
Jeffrey Kessler
PracticalM
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby TheAcct on Wed 18 Sep 2013 18:41

Maybe to clarify, I was wondering if I can immediately apply the bonus focused breakthrough to the Armor SL4 knot? Or, having just completed Armor SL3 this turn, do I have to apply the breakthrough to something else?
TheAcct
Lieutenant SG
Lieutenant SG

Postby PracticalM on Wed 18 Sep 2013 19:40

Because you rolled the result ending in 1 to complete SL3 and opening the knot before SL4 in Armor is required before continuing research, yes that should be eligible for using the focused breakthrough.

I'm trying to figure out your thinking on why it wouldn't be.
--
Jeffrey Kessler
PracticalM
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby SCC on Wed 18 Sep 2013 20:31

PracticalM wrote:Because you rolled the result ending in 1 to complete SL3 and opening the knot before SL4 in Armor is required before continuing research, yes that should be eligible for using the focused breakthrough.

I'm trying to figure out your thinking on why it wouldn't be.

The rules can get a bit murky upon when the breakthrough has to be applied to clear the knot or knots in the case of a CTJ
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Wed 18 Sep 2013 21:01

Not really a SSF player, but I don't think that CTJ applies in this case.
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Cralis on Wed 18 Sep 2013 23:03

Considering the "next" CTJ is at EL/SL 20, I don't think you need to worry about that yet :)

But what do you feel is "murky" about the CTJ rules?
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby SCC on Thu 19 Sep 2013 00:55

Cralis wrote:Considering the "next" CTJ is at EL/SL 20, I don't think you need to worry about that yet :)

Not so much the CTJ rules but the applying knots rules, Do I need to apply a knot before I start research for that SL/Item or do I just need one applied before research can be finished?

And with CTJ's is that before I research EL 20, before I complete EL 20 research or before I can start on EL 21?
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Elminster on Thu 19 Sep 2013 01:17

The first one I can answer quickly:

N1 R&D Terminology
Knot • A difficult research concept that must be overcome before R&D may continue in the tree, branch, twig, or development of a specific item. Knots are opened by a breakthrough that is successfully applied to that knot.

:)
In memory of Gary Gygax
In memory of Leonard Nimoy
In memory of Christopher Lee

In memory of Albert Einstein
E = MC^2 + 1d10
Elminster
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Cralis on Thu 19 Sep 2013 02:01

SCC wrote:
Cralis wrote:Considering the "next" CTJ is at EL/SL 20, I don't think you need to worry about that yet :)

Not so much the CTJ rules but the applying knots rules, Do I need to apply a knot before I start research for that SL/Item or do I just need one applied before research can be finished?

Elminster has this correct. A knot must be broken before you can start research on the SL or item that the knot is located at.

And with CTJ's is that before I research EL 20, before I complete EL 20 research or before I can start on EL 21?

CTJ's are treated completely differently. Until you finish the EL20 research (which requires you to finish the EL research and then make three breakthroughs to the CTJ knot), SL20+ research is treated as being 3 SLs higher than normal. Each breakthrough you make against the CTJ knot reduces that 3 SL penalty by 1.

What this means, is that if you want to research SL20 R, it is treated as being SL 23 and you can't research it yet. When you make your first breakthrough, the SL penalty is reduced by 1 and SL 20 R is treated as being SL 22 and you can start research. After the second breakthrough it is treated as SL 21, and then at the third breakthrough you reach EL 20 and SL 20 R is treated as normal, SL 20 R.

Does that make more sense?

I'm already planning examples for the next version. Maybe this one is a start to a good example?
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

PreviousNext

Return to Solar Starfire