Tentative background for my 'Local' Campaign

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Tentative background for my 'Local' Campaign

Postby Vandervecken on Mon 19 Aug 2013 05:54

While PM'ing a member of the Forum, I had a great idea for a campaign. If all the members of my soon to be "Local" group agree to it, I think it will be a fun one for my kids and nephew, and a few other locals to play. Here is the Idea ...

Each would start on Earth, each would be a 'What Could Have Been' empire. Warp Points are only possible because the alternate universes are somehow crossing into each other, but not quite on top of each other. Pick your favorite empire throughout history and blam, there you go. No one could whine about that their 'Starting system' was worse than someone elses. They all would be our Solar System, and exactly alike. All three systems each of the empires would jump into from our Solar system would be almost the same. A minor moon added or subtracted here or there. Two jumps away would see some bigger changes, including WP # and Non-habitable worlds. But by the time they go 3 jumps away, nothing would be the same. That is about as even a start as I can think of. And the main 'Bad Guys' would be from a "what if Hitler and the Nazis had won the war" universe. And maybe one 'Earth' where something else became the domanant species as the # 2 bad guy. Still, in the end, only one alternate universe empire can rule the 'Combined Worlds' campaign. Or some other catchy name to be finalized later.

What do you guys think?
I weary of the chasssse. Wait for me. I will be mercccciful and quick.
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Tentative background for my 'Local' Campaign

Postby procyon on Mon 19 Aug 2013 06:39

Sounds cool!

About how many systems total?
And will all the NPRs also start on 'Earth'?

Just curious...
...and I will show you fear in a handful of dust....

Cralis wrote:I would point out that the "what was" which is different from "here and now" can easily change in the "future then."
procyon
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

Postby Vandervecken on Mon 19 Aug 2013 08:31

procyon wrote:About how many systems total?
And will all the NPRs also start on 'Earth'?

About 50 to 60 systems per empire to start, The empires will find fewer T and ST (KT in my SysGen) worlds than standard SOLAR. Cant say too much, as I know one of the prospective participants has started lurking these boards. The main point is that whatever they find in the first few systems will be really close growth-wise to each other. I'll fudge a few habitability die rolls if I have to, to insure all empires get the same major 'GEMS' in their back yards, After that, well ...

All Empire Earths will have the same HI as each other, so your neighbors will always have some prime real estate to salivate over and visa-versa.

A few NPCs will be from Alternate Earths. The one from where Earth never got a bigger Mass 0 Moon like ours will be interesting. One could be from a Splinter Colony of an Earth empire, but not located on the Alternate Earth but from its colonized world (Bad things may have happened to that Earth. Very, very bad things.) A few will be aliens (Biped or otherwise and located anywhere on the map). There will not be too many NPCs in the starting cluster as there won't be too many great worlds out there. And many of them will be some sort of Earth. So when a player runs into a system that is suspiciously familiar to a 1 WP away from Earth outlying system, they won't know if it leads to: Global Warming baked Earth, an NPC Earth, a Player Earth, or ??? <Mwa Hah Haaaa !> And of course, a few will need to be wrestled from the 4th Reich.
I weary of the chasssse. Wait for me. I will be mercccciful and quick.
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Elminster on Mon 19 Aug 2013 11:38

Nice.

Vandervecken wrote:And maybe one 'Earth' where something else became the domanant species as the # 2 bad guy.

One ridiculous scenario: humankind extinguished itself in a nuclear war and the cockroaches take command over earth.

There are your bugs. 8-)

Or a weird scientist (there are never too few of them) experimented with cybernetik replacements... for brains... bam... J'Rill. :twisted:
In memory of Gary Gygax
In memory of Leonard Nimoy
In memory of Christopher Lee

In memory of Albert Einstein
E = MC^2 + 1d10
Elminster
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Mon 19 Aug 2013 17:40

Or you could have an alternate Earth where the dominant life form tends to say "Narf". Oh wait, that universe is already taken.

Elminster wrote:Or a weird scientist (there are never too few of them)

Last I heard, one of those scientists was trying to take over the Tri-Earth area.
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby olivertheorem on Mon 19 Aug 2013 19:07

Okay, now you HAVE to do an NPR based off Doofenschmirtz.
olivertheorem
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Mon 19 Aug 2013 19:53

olivertheorem wrote:Okay, now you HAVE to do an NPR based off Doofenschmirtz.

Would their enemies be EWCA (Empire Without a Cool Name)?
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby aethelred on Mon 19 Aug 2013 20:55

Sounds like a great idea Vander, hope it works well!
aethelred
Commander
Commander

Postby Cralis on Mon 19 Aug 2013 21:53

You know what would be really fascinating? If a number of the star systems were the same star, but from different universes. Like Tau Ceti, for example, or Epsilon Eridani, might all exist but be slightly different.

Another interesting thing you could throw in is finding an alternate Earth (or more than one) that has been completely destroyed. Perhaps with a few technological artifacts in wrecks floating around various orbits...

Very, very interesting idea Van.

Edit: another thought, I'm guessing that some WPs will go to the local universe and some to alternate universes. Will the players be able to figure out which is which?
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby procyon on Tue 20 Aug 2013 02:19

Short of some major anomolies between 'universes' it would be hard to tell.
Short of setting up observatories to make sure the correct planets are orbitting the proper stars - it might be impossible to tell.

Unless of course you hit one that is 'straddling' dimensions and it has an odd in game effect.
Like you are not in a nebula but your shields won't stay up and your ships max speed is one less...
Hint, hint...

I also like the 'ruined Earth idea'. Very cool.
...and I will show you fear in a handful of dust....

Cralis wrote:I would point out that the "what was" which is different from "here and now" can easily change in the "future then."
procyon
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

Next

Return to Solar Starfire