Bases with station-keeping drives off

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Bases with station-keeping drives off

Postby Vandervecken on Mon 09 Sep 2013 06:58

My Methosians had planned to take three of its BS2s from WP#2 and place them with a Tractor Armed ship into the orbital that WP#1 is in. The three would line up in that orbital as the lone empire tug, goes and gets each one. Then with a known orbital speed, they would at the end of the second week of the upcomming (turn #25) would arrive at the area of the WP. With this being the well known Home system, how accurate can they be in arriving at about the exact tH orbital of the LM orbital so that they will get very, very close to the WP. And incidentally, arrive within minutes after the Homeworld fleet arrives at that WP.

Originally the Homeworld Fleet was to lead a WP assault but now they will try to avenge the loss of 9 x BS0, 3 x BS2, and a CL when the Jopunjab assaulted the Methosians at the 1st minute of the 1st day of Turn # 25, which was 10 days prior to when the Methosians had planned their own assault.
I weary of the chasssse. Wait for me. I will be mercccciful and quick.
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Bases with station-keeping drives off

Postby procyon on Mon 09 Sep 2013 10:21

Oh cool. This sounds like something my players would try.

We can calculate orbits very precisely now so that satelites/probes can intercept asteroids with less that ideal orbits.

I would say a HEL race would be capable of 'drifting' a BS with the DF off into a region 70k kilometers across...
A tH is a really big target if that was all you were aiming for.
...and I will show you fear in a handful of dust....

Cralis wrote:I would point out that the "what was" which is different from "here and now" can easily change in the "future then."
procyon
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

Postby Vandervecken on Mon 09 Sep 2013 18:34

That's what I thought but I don't know all of the small, lesser used rules; no matter how often I've read the rules. Once I use one, there a good chance it will stick to the brain-pan. If I don't hear anything negative from other Blue or blue-ish folk, I'll start the prep for the Methosian attempt to re-take the now Jopunjab occupied WP.

There was a chance that the Methosians would immediately attack back with just the Homefleet and not wait for the 3 BS2 and a CL, but they decided to wait, which unfortunately means that the Jopunjab will have time to do crew advancement after combat. Oh well. The Jopunjab could (should) have gone to the Enemy homeworld and attempt to take out the SY, but lost their nerve. (Stupid Froggies) I may need to write about those decisions.
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby SCC on Mon 09 Sep 2013 18:39

I don't think this will work, the way things work if you mothball a base that guards a WP it doesn't move away from the WP, mainly because it's too much work to keep track of it
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Vandervecken on Mon 09 Sep 2013 19:04

They were never mothballed, All three were active but guarding the other open WP in the Methosian home system. They always were fully Maint. funded. All three were moved individually by the single Tractor equipped tug (Took 6 weeks to do this) to the other WP orbital but 2 weeks out from it when at three were reunited. It is now a Bad guy held WP (Wasn't held by the bad guys yet when the moves were made) they rejoined and just spent the first 2 weeks of T#25 drifting in that orbital to get to the now enemy held WP. According to rules "That I know", it is allowed, as rules allow units with station keeping to turn them off and units without "station keeping drives" on, go into orbit of Star, planet, or even moon. They are not near a planet or moon, so the BS2 x3 by rules can move in that WP orbital and hit the WP where they can put their station-keeping drives back on. And "Take the French entirely by surprise" when they jump out of the Giant rabbit. Hmmmm, strike that last sentence.
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby SCC on Mon 09 Sep 2013 19:19

Sorry Van, I thought you had tractored them part of the way and where planing on letting them drift/orbit the rest, I was sort of pointing out that that doesn't seem to work
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Mon 09 Sep 2013 19:36

What happens if they are detected and attacked while they are DF down?
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby olivertheorem on Mon 09 Sep 2013 20:44

Bases go boom.
olivertheorem
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby SCC on Mon 09 Sep 2013 20:45

AlexeiTimoshenko wrote:What happens if they are detected and attacked while they are DF down?

Once they lose shields they take triple damage from certain weapons, R, G and K off the top of my head.

A house rule might give them even more range for LRW, but bases normally get more range then DF down ships
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Cralis on Mon 09 Sep 2013 22:40

Vandervecken wrote:...rejoined and just spent the first 2 weeks of T#25 drifting in that orbital to get to the now enemy held WP. According to rules "That I know", it is allowed, as rules allow units with station keeping to turn them off and units without "station keeping drives" on, go into orbit of Star, planet, or even moon...

Yeah I don't see anything wrong with this. They aren't "drifting" but must adhere to orbital mechanics (W10). In fact, W10.02 specifically states that orbital motion is 1 tH per 30 minutes, and that WPs do not orbit. It is talking about dropping the DF while at a WP, but that would apply anywhere.

It will just take a LONG time, especially if the WP is really far from the star.

The trick will be getting into range and getting into station-keeping mode without being detected, which I think won't be possible. But you can get close and if they have squadrons, can make a good sneak attack.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Next

Return to Solar Starfire