Example Ernie's Earthling Empire (tutorial)

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Example Ernie's Earthling Empire (tutorial)

Postby VoidStalker_WoE on Sat 01 Nov 2014 09:26

I also have a pair of questions about the population size increase on Eden.

(#1) Does Eden get a role for a GOV advancement? Or do populations not get a GOV until they reach small (Planetary) size population size.

(#2) Now that Eden has a planetary sized population, are there any reductions with respect to new populations being brought in?

Also, what I believe to be a second typo, with 390 'Qv' up for use, wouldn't the total for a 1 stMP be 78 PTU max? Or am I looking at this wrong?

Once again, that you sir for a most interesting and complete "Example Ernie" update.
VoidStalker_WoE
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Lomn on Sat 01 Nov 2014 10:58

So, with the caveat that Month 5 isn't fully written yet (one of my complaints with this platform is that I haven't found a good way to create pages in private before publishing them):

"Eridani" typo corrected to "Centauri". "79 PTU" typo corrected to "78 PTU".

Eden does get a roll to see if a Governor is created, as it will cross the threshold from Settlement to Small with the colonists arriving this turn. Crossing that threshold also means that the PTU/PU conversion will no longer be 1:1. I'll document that in detail in the next month (since I'm showing that work at the top of each month), but here's how it'll work:

Eden has 150.7 PU now, and is adding 40 PTU. First, we convert Eden's PU to PTU, per Table L1.02: 150.7. OK, that was simple. Now add the new PTU: 190.7. Now we start working up the L1.02 conversion chart: 190.7 PTU is in the range for Small, and so we take the maximum PTU size for the next smallest population (Settlement, 180) and subtract that from the overall PTU: 180 PTU gets us to the end of Settlement, and the remaining 10.7 PTU must be converted into a Small population's PU at the listed rate. That comes to 5.3 PU, and so the population size becomes 180 PU (the max size Settlement) plus 5.3 PU (the portion within the Small block) for 185.3 PU overall.

A more complex example would be colonizing a Medium world: a 995 PU world adds 270 PTU in colonization. 995 PU converts to PTU by taking the size of the largest possible smaller population (Small, 500 PU, 820 PTU) and converting the remainder at the current size rate (Medium, 495 PU, 1 PU to 10 PTU, 4950 PTU). So, 5770 PTU now, plus 270 new PTU: 6040 PTU overall. Working the other way, the largest population that fits within 6040 PTU is Medium (5820 PTU, 1000 PU), so we take that off and convert the remaining 220 PTU at Large rates (1 PU to 70 PTU, 3.1 PU). The new population is Large and 1003.1 PU.

In working this out, I notice that I've skipped a footnote in Table L1.02 about truncating fractional PTU values (which means truncating fractional PU values in many cases). Should this apply to the basic rule for population growth? This footnote says "for purposes of using this table", and basic growth (1% gain to the tenth of a PU) doesn't care about this table, so I'm going with "no" -- and by extension, saying that the tutorial's examples of a 5 PU world growing by 0.1 PU (and thus by 0.1 PTU) per month are fine, and that the scope of this "truncate" footnote is just to clear up gray areas like the size of a 60.5 PU world. That might be wrong, but it's a pretty minor deviation, and so long as everybody in a game plays it the same way, it's not likely to matter.
Lomn
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Rigelian12 on Mon 02 Mar 2015 07:31

Hi there,

This is amazing it goes through how to set up your fleets, planets, and population.

It gives the newbie like myself a better understanding of the rules, maybe if Ernie Earthling Empire could run for the ten months or one year in Solar. He could then introduce first contact procedures in meeting a NPR. Keep up the great work. Really enjoying the website as well.

Thanking you.
Rigelian12
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby coldsteel on Sat 12 Aug 2017 13:22

Any chance of this restarting/going on?

</Necromancy>
TFN: 2 BC, 4 CA, 2 CL, 8 DD
RPSA: 2 CV, 4 CA, 2 CL, 8 DD
civilian: 4 'FTx' (made FT out of 40K Imp Guard flamer tanks)
coldsteel
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Cralis on Sat 12 Aug 2017 20:29

coldsteel wrote:Any chance of this restarting/going on?

Are you asking if Lomn is going to continue the Ernie's example through the first year, as he mentions above? Not sure. I know that real life interfered and he hasn't had much free time to work on Starfire.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby coldsteel on Sat 12 Aug 2017 21:40

Cralis wrote:
coldsteel wrote:Any chance of this restarting/going on?

Are you asking if Lomn is going to continue the Ernie's example through the first year, as he mentions above? Not sure. I know that real life interfered and he hasn't had much free time to work on Starfire.

I know that feeling.
coldsteel
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Cralis on Sun 13 Aug 2017 04:31

coldsteel wrote:I know that feeling.

Me too. =\ I'm at least 18 months behind where I'd like to be with Starfire. The last couple years has been exceptionally hard on my game playing & developing time.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby coldsteel on Sun 13 Aug 2017 11:43

Cralis wrote:
coldsteel wrote:I know that feeling.

Me too. =\ I'm at least 18 months behind where I'd like to be with Starfire. The last couple years has been exceptionally hard on my game playing & developing time.

Dude, I have 2 weeks; less than 2 weeks to finish that 3D dungeon for the Maker Faire. Then I have a backlog of over 200 minis for 40K..... :(
coldsteel
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Cralis on Sun 13 Aug 2017 19:48

coldsteel wrote:Dude, I have 2 weeks; less than 2 weeks to finish that 3D dungeon for the Maker Faire. Then I have a backlog of over 200 minis for 40K..... :(

I have one week until... oh! I almost said what that was... 8-)

But yeah I understand. I could go down the list of all the things going on. But I think it's safe to say that I am beginning to understand why middle age with a family is detrimental to gaming. :evil:
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Previous

Return to Solar Starfire