Example Ernie's Earthling Empire (tutorial)

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Example Ernie's Earthling Empire (tutorial)

Postby Lomn on Fri 17 Oct 2014 11:53

It's just that more engine rooms with fewer engines is preferable. An EX with ia in the first room and Ia in the other, were that configuration allowed, would be more resistant to burnout than the current iIa single engine room requirement.
Lomn
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby krenshala on Sat 18 Oct 2014 15:29

Just some clarification on engine notation:

Typically a large unit will only have a single type of engine on it. There can be exceptions but the cost in space usually makes it not worth the extra investment (e.g., I could add Ic engines in my J engined cruiser, but then I'd lose those hull spaces to engines not used in combat to do so). Because of this, it is typical to have the engines listed by just their type (e.g., I or Ia, J for Ja, and Ic for Ica), but with a note on the bottom line of the expanded ship design that notes the specific engine type. This turns "xxx(IcaIcaIca)(IcaIcaIca)xxx" into "xxx(IcIcIc)(IcIcIc)xxx" with a note that those are "(Ica)". The larger the unit, the more this is beneficial to the person responsible for writing out the ship design. ;)
-- krenshala
None survive the harvest!

Yeah, I'm finally back (again)! Sometimes, life (and 9yo son's) don't leave you time to play SF and earn a paycheck. :/

No, really! Matt actually made me an admin here!
krenshala
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Lomn on Mon 27 Oct 2014 09:26

Ernie has now posted through month 4. Items of note include establishing Sol's GSV vs Centauri's, and how that affects things like in-system CFN pools, a more comprehensive breakthrough objectives list, R&D success that generates a breakthrough, breaking a knot above your EL, and Survivable Bodies survey results.
Lomn
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby reddavid on Tue 28 Oct 2014 01:31

Amazing Site and write up!

One typo in month four near the bottom:

Economic Level Advancement

EL did not advance, so no adjustment is made (L1.04.3).

Ernie’s third month is complete.
Let me cry and I will take on the world
reddavid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Elminster on Tue 28 Oct 2014 03:23

There is a rules error on your part. :)

N11.03 Applying Breakthroughs, second last paragraph, states that a focused breakthrough that is converted to a random breakthrough CAN lead to be applied to the same knot twice.
In memory of Gary Gygax
In memory of Leonard Nimoy
In memory of Christopher Lee

In memory of Albert Einstein
E = MC^2 + 1d10
Elminster
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Lomn on Tue 28 Oct 2014 06:30

Fixed and fixed; my thanks to both of you.
Lomn
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Elminster on Wed 29 Oct 2014 03:37

One minor thing. In months 3 and 4 you have a content navigation on the right side. This is missing in months 1 and 2.
In memory of Gary Gygax
In memory of Leonard Nimoy
In memory of Christopher Lee

In memory of Albert Einstein
E = MC^2 + 1d10
Elminster
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby VoidStalker_WoE on Thu 30 Oct 2014 21:58

Hey man, that tutorial site of yours is such a big help, I wonder if I could make one of my own/become a "player" on yours? What are the costs in $ to set up a page like yours? What operating system/apps do you use?
VoidStalker_WoE
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Lomn on Fri 31 Oct 2014 07:05

I'm using Google Apps for it, mostly because I use that to run my own email domain through Gmail, Android phone logins, and so forth. There used to be a free family use option; I'm grandfathered in on that, but it's no longer available for new sign-ups. So, what I'm using is too expensive ($50/user/year) for me to recommend at-cost. Plus, the web site builder is a lot more limited than I'd like; I'm only using it vs a more advanced hosting service because it's included at no extra cost.

For free options, I'd look at http://blogger.com (Google-owned, and so very similar to what I'm using) or http://wordpress.com. I found an extensive roundup of options at this article.
Lomn
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby VoidStalker_WoE on Sat 01 Nov 2014 09:07

Hey man, once again thanks for a new turn. I just started going over it and came across a typo. You have listed centari as having a colony on Eden, but in the text refer to a different system. Just thought I would drop a quick line. This example system is very helpful, and if I can figure out how to do my own blog, then I can let people see how a newbie makes mistakes. :D
VoidStalker_WoE
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PreviousNext

Return to Solar Starfire