Who's interested in a new campaign? (was: game opening?)

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Anybody with a game opening?

Postby Lomn on Sat 27 Dec 2014 11:18

So it sounds like it's time to re-cast the question: who's interested in a PBEM game with an untested SM? I think I'm just crazy enough to attempt it.

I'd also be happy to hear from people who don't want to take on a whole empire but would be willing to run an NPR's paperwork once activated or help fight out battles that the main players don't have visibility into (my impression is that growth in those areas are what can eat into an SM's time).

As Procyon notes, I'm sure we'd be looking at turns in the 1 to 2 week range pretty quickly, and pacing would certainly need to flex around game events as well as life events.
Lomn
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby PracticalM on Sat 27 Dec 2014 11:30

I wish I had the time to play or run a game. Maybe after a few of my kids go to college.
--
Jeffrey Kessler
PracticalM
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Whitecold on Sun 28 Dec 2014 09:19

Lomn, I'd be happy to try it out if you also want a completely new player.
Whitecold
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Moonsword on Sun 28 Dec 2014 09:46

I can handle NPR paperwork but may not be able to assist with battles.
Moonsword
Commander
Commander

Postby thebard on Sun 28 Dec 2014 16:41

Here I go....

Yes, very tempted to join a game - PBEM.
How would you handle the battles?
thebard
Commander
Commander

Postby Lomn on Mon 29 Dec 2014 15:18

Thanks all for the responses so far. To briefly answer questions:

Yes, I'm perfectly fine with opening to new players.

For battles, I figure Vassal is what I'll advise. I've used the Starfire module for that to play out battles in my solo game, and I'm given to understand that there's a real-time online mode available that I just haven't looked for yet (mostly I use it to email whole turns back and forth in old AH stuff; Starfire has a slightly more rapid alternation between players).
Lomn
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Whitecold on Tue 30 Dec 2014 07:12

Well, then I'm certainly up for it.
Whitecold
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby kedrake on Tue 30 Dec 2014 09:17

I might be up for that....
Remember: No matter where you go, there you are.
kedrake
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Firing up a new game

Postby Lomn on Tue 30 Dec 2014 12:53

Excellent!

I'm going over the Great Big List of Optional Rules so that I can start putting those sorts of things on paper. There are a few things on there that I want to kick out to interested players for feedback (note that it's not strictly a vote -- if there's a 2-1 split on something, I may cast 30 votes of tiebreaker).

F4 Player Crew Grade: if people want to simplify recordkeeping and leave everything at BG, that's OK with me (I will probably run at least some NPRs this way). But that's a potentially big chunk of combat, and so that one would only be by very wide consent. Normal grade rules or lock at BG?

W8.04.1 WP Visibility: stick with default Solar-style unrestricted linking or go with Ultra-style links to related visibility?

Y1.02: Higher or Lower chance of NPR presence?

GG2: Random events, yes or no?
Lomn
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Firing up a new game

Postby Cralis on Tue 30 Dec 2014 13:21

Lomn wrote:W8.04.1 WP Visibility: stick with default Solar-style unrestricted linking or go with Ultra-style links to related visibility?

New players may not realize the implications of this decision... in ULTRA the WPs link to other WP of similar visibility. For example, Open WP can only connect to Open or concealed. That way if someone comes through a higher WP you should be able to research the X to discover it in a few SL.

SSF, however, allows any type to connect to any other type. In this way we create what are effectively temporary "closed WP" because it may be quit a while until your SL in X is high enough to build the X needed to find it.

ULTRA's method is more balanced for pvp, but anyone who has played CLASSIC STARFIRE can tell you how much fun closed WP can be...
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

PreviousNext

Return to Solar Starfire