Who's interested in a new campaign? (was: game opening?)

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Who's interested in a new campaign? (was: game opening?)

Postby Lomn on Sat 20 Dec 2014 13:05

Anybody have a PBEM-type game running (or about to run) with space to slot in another player? I could use a chance to see whether my forum blather translates into actual competence.

//edit: Go see the top of Page 2 for this thread's shift to "OK, who wants to kick off a new PBEM campaign?"
Last edited by Lomn on Tue 30 Dec 2014 18:16, edited 1 time in total.
Lomn
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Anybody with a game opening?

Postby thebard on Tue 23 Dec 2014 11:03

Sorry , no positive answer, just an observation.

This post is 3 days old and still has no reply - does this mean that there aren't
any
active games going on / starting up?
thebard
Commander
Commander

Postby Cralis on Tue 23 Dec 2014 12:21

More than likely, given the time of year, it means that those people with non-solo games are busy doing other stuff right now.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Vandervecken on Thu 25 Dec 2014 07:34

I might just barely have time to play a SSF game long-distance. But I definately do not have the time to GM a SSF game. Or the experience to properly run one either. I'm really only an expert at Section W. I have a decent working knowedge of most of the rest of the rules, enough so that I haven't bungled anything too much in my solo campaign. Also, I type so slowly that a slug with a hernia could do better.

My experience with Vassel is that it works; but Vassel takes a tremendous amount of time to prep, and a fast typing speed for a GM to put updated combat data on the board. Until Cralis and the gang all become millionares and can afford to bring this game onto a computer platform where the hard work is done by a dedicated computer program, long-distance games are possible but just tough to do. Like most players, I usually want to have a hand in my own battles, not have others do them for me as proxies. Although when the game get monsterous, having a computer assist, like what Aurora's 'Starfire Assistant' did so many years ago might come in handy.

If you live in a big town or larger, try a hobby club or at the nearest Game shop and persuade a few 4X people there to try The QSR. Like the original Starfire, that may get enough hooked to try one of the grandest and detailed Empire-Building games ever made. Or, you could move to the country where there is no internet access, get a wife, and have a bunch of smart kids. And Viola ... Instant access to a host of players, well, once some of them get close to being teen-agers. (Hehehee) Of course, it takes a wee bit more time to get this set up than most guys will dedicate to playing any game, but I have proof positive that it just may work, right Procyon?
Last edited by Vandervecken on Sat 27 Dec 2014 00:59, edited 2 times in total.
I weary of the chasssse. Wait for me. I will be mercccciful and quick.
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby VoidStalker_WoE on Thu 25 Dec 2014 10:23

I am going to get my own solo learning game and experiment going after I move Monday or Tuesday next week. One of the things I am going to do is a three T-Type world multiplayer strategic scenario. I need at least that because I just had four friends over and we did a bit of QSR stuff, but then the new guy wanted to start playing the full version. As practically everyone can tell you, I cannot teach anyone the full rules, lol. Not even close.

So, what to do? I will make a 'QSR type of campaign game', limited to one system, and use this as a means to get people started with the strategic rules. For my group, three of us are old hands (back from the day), and the fourth is one of the other guys son (he is the only one that really has the time to potentially play the full game, as the rest of us work for a living). I am open to suggestions on what to include for beginning players, ideas on the scope of EL/SL to attempt right off (or even to go there in the first attempt at all), and other interesting questions on what needs to be in the rules, doesn't need to be in the rules, and other things that should be optional.

For the relevance to this thread, I will be making the single system map, order of battles and what-not available to anyone interested, and perhaps if folks don't have the time for a multi system campaign, perhaps they can find/make the time for a single system campaign?
VoidStalker_WoE
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby procyon on Thu 25 Dec 2014 18:22

My easiest suggestion would be to do your solo game, and give one of the 'empires' to the fella that want to try the game. Let him do the economic part and then set down together to run the turns. You can learn together. Just make sure that folks understand it is a learning game. But you can use the 'learning game' as the base for a later game.

I wish I could say that we have an opening. We are looking at starting a new game soon. We have done some 'test runs' of Solar and I am pretty comfortable with starting the newest game using this system (although I still really like what we have done to Ultra to create the style of game we like...). And I have almost always run a game with 4 players and me as the SM, but with the number of kids dwindling - this game will just be the two youngest and my wife. So we will have one veteran, one with limited experience, and one (essentially) newbie.

With a gap in what I usually expect to see in the 'turn reports'.

But with our incredibly limited internet access, and no experience trying to do a battle online (which I am fairly sure would be impossible considering the fact my internet access only occurs at work and in the middle of the night...) - I just don't see having a remote player as being a possibility for us. As much as I would be happy to add in another player, I thing everyone would end up disappointed in the results.
...and I will show you fear in a handful of dust....

Cralis wrote:I would point out that the "what was" which is different from "here and now" can easily change in the "future then."
procyon
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

Postby Whitecold on Fri 26 Dec 2014 03:36

I'd also love to join some PBEM-type game. I recently bought the rules and played some tactical battles with my friends, but I don't trust myself to run a full campaign on my own, so I would be happy to first try it out with some who already know the game.
Whitecold
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Vandervecken on Sat 27 Dec 2014 01:06

Whitecold,

Play a small solo campaign, and ask questions here at the forum. Experience is the best teacher. Joining a game run by an experienced GM is also a great way to learn but no one lately has the time for running a game.
GM'ing a full game takes lots of patience and TIME. Things that in this hectic world are usually in short supply, unfortunately.
I weary of the chasssse. Wait for me. I will be mercccciful and quick.
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby VoidStalker_WoE on Sat 27 Dec 2014 02:54

Vandervecken wrote:Whitecold,

Play a small solo campaign, and ask questions here at the forum. Experience is the best teacher. Joining a game run by an experienced GM is also a great way to learn but no one lately has the time for running a game.
GM'ing a full game takes lots of patience and TIME. Things that in this hectic world are usually in short supply, unfortunately.

Ouch!

I was beginning to suspect as much, but that confirms it. 8-)
VoidStalker_WoE
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby procyon on Sat 27 Dec 2014 03:22

It is a rather big commitment. The first dozen turns can go fairly fast, after you get things set up.
But after that, we figure it takes a week to get through a turn. Some turns with less activity when everyone has time to spare can go quickly. Some turns with several battles to game through can go WAY longer.

I've got the time to run a game. Our plan is to try and start somewhere after New Years (assuming we can agree on the house rules to start).
Just a rather limited ability to add an extra player.
...and I will show you fear in a handful of dust....

Cralis wrote:I would point out that the "what was" which is different from "here and now" can easily change in the "future then."
procyon
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

Next

Return to Solar Starfire