Just starting out

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Just starting out

Postby straygrunt on Sun 26 Apr 2015 13:25

I picked Starfire up a few years ago and then lost track of time. Well, I want to try a campaign again and have some questions. I remember, either on the forum or in the stories section, several folks had posted turn by turn recaps of their campaigns. Not fiction really but more mechanical. What money went where, what was built, that sort of thing. I was going to use them as illustrations for learning the campaign rules. My other question is, has anyone used Campaign Cartographer by Profantasy to map their game? Specifically the Cosmographer add-on. Just looking for opinions.

Thanks

Shawn
straygrunt
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Re: Just starting out

Postby Moonsword on Sun 26 Apr 2015 15:36

There's some of those summaries going on now but probably the single best turn-by-turn example you're going to find is the tutorial here.

As for mapping, I looked at Cosmographer but elected to go with something a little less sophisticated for my turn-by-turn maps: yEd. It's good enough although when you wind up with a system with nine (known) warp points, things get a little more interesting.

EDIT: Oh, I didn't notice you're new. Welcome to the boards!
Moonsword
Commander
Commander

Postby darbycmcd on Sun 26 Apr 2015 19:35

I know it is sort of 'manual-ish' but I use excel. I like that it is easy to add little graphics for notes and, as I have each system as a separate sheet I can link the map to the system info. But I also only play solo these days, so the rate of exploration is not high. I could see if you were SM for a large game it might be a bit tedious.
darbycmcd
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Cralis on Sun 26 Apr 2015 23:56

Before I respond, let me say "Welcome to the forum!"

straygrunt wrote:I picked Starfire up a few years ago and then lost track of time. Well, I want to try a campaign again and have some questions. I remember, either on the forum or in the stories section, several folks had posted turn by turn recaps of their campaigns. Not fiction really but more mechanical. What money went where, what was built, that sort of thing. I was going to use them as illustrations for learning the campaign rules.

I have to say that I used to try and answer questions, but then Lomn made the "Ernie Earthling" example turns (the link Moonsword posted above, at viewtopic.php?f=61&t=2563) that I'm going to 'second' that you should start there. Lomn did an incredible job with his example turns.

My other question is, has anyone used Campaign Cartographer by Profantasy to map their game? Specifically the Cosmographer add-on. Just looking for opinions.

Ok, now I'm jealous. I've never been able to convince myself to buy CC, and I would use it both for starmaps and D&D campaigns. I've hand drawn maps, used trees on an Excel spreadsheet (don't recommend this, it gets messier than drawing by hand), and yED. But I'd probably use CC if I had it, at least for the maps I'd show everyone else!

I'd be interested in knowing how well it works for you, should you choose to try it.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Dawn Falcon on Tue 28 Apr 2015 18:26

I use Visio.

But then again, I get it free (Dreamspark Pro).
Dawn Falcon
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Sunwolf on Tue 28 Apr 2015 20:17

You know I have CC but not the add-on for Star Maps and I just don't find myself with enough time to learn it well enough to use it.
Sunwolf
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Xveers on Wed 29 Apr 2015 02:52

straygrunt wrote:My other question is, has anyone used Campaign Cartographer by Profantasy to map their game? Specifically the Cosmographer add-on. Just looking for opinions.

Heya straygrunt!

Welcome back to Starfire!

I've got the full suite from Profantasy, including Cosmographer. I've tried to use Cosmographer to build maps, but I was never really happy with how it did warp jump maps. I mean, you could do it, but it really was more complex than what was really required. Campaign Cartographer on the other hand, works quite well, and I've spent a fair amount of time playing with it to generate good looking maps. Admittedly though, I haven't gotten something REALLY good looking yet.
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby straygrunt on Tue 02 Jun 2015 13:46

Thanks for the replies and sorry for the delay in a response. Got deployed and I'm trying to settle in to the new routine. I've been reading through the samples suggested and I think those will go a long ways toward explaining what is going on. I think I will start with CC for mapping and see how far I get. Then I will add Cosmographer if I feel it's necessary.

Thanks again
straygrunt
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Postby Cralis on Tue 02 Jun 2015 15:21

Oy, deployments! Some of us have participated in that fun... like myself, having deployed twice to Fallujah, Iraq. Glad I'm not doing that anymore, it did tend to eat into my gaming time.

Good luck over there, wherever you are. Stay safe.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby PracticalM on Sun 28 Jun 2015 09:02

yED looks interesting too bad they don't have support for importing Graphviz .dot files. Though it looks like I can vote to have them add that feature.
--
Jeffrey Kessler
PracticalM
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Return to Solar Starfire