Play-by-email Forum Game

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Play-by-email Forum Game

Postby Whitecold on Thu 29 Dec 2016 08:11

Hi everyone,
as Lomn very unfortunately doesn't seem to be able to continue with TPoD, and while I still hope to continue with that, I am looking around for who would be interested in joining a new campaign.
I am offering to take on the role of Spacemaster. If you would like to join either as a player, or do turns for a NPR, or volunteer as an Admiral for resolving battles, please write so.

Edit:
Players:
  • nukesnipe
  • thebard
  • misanthropope
Admirals:
  • VoidStalker_WoE
Last edited by Whitecold on Wed 04 Jan 2017 11:22, edited 1 time in total.
Whitecold
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Play-by-email Forum Game

Postby nukesnipe on Thu 29 Dec 2016 08:34

Whitecold,

I'm a bit interested, but am curious as to how this would work (never done PBEM).
Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Captain
Captain

Postby Whitecold on Fri 30 Dec 2016 04:01

The idea is that we use email to send in the spreadsheets, and return the turn results, while using the VASSAL module for any tactical battles.
Here would be where the admirals come in, as that requires both parties to have time at the same time of day (including time zones) and that rather soon if possible, as waiting for any single battle will hold up the entire game obviously.
Whitecold
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby nukesnipe on Fri 30 Dec 2016 16:24

You can put me down as "tentative", if you'd like. I'll be clobbered in April and October working 6/12s, but I'm normally off Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays otherwise.
Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Captain
Captain

Postby misanthropope on Fri 30 Dec 2016 20:12

i would very glad to play. i honestly did not expect to ever get a chance to play in another starfire campaign, and have not played since elite was new. i do not expect lack of recent experience to give me any undue difficulty, and i would enjoy the challenge if it does.

about what sort of time commitment do you expect, and when are you hoping to start?
misanthropope
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Postby Whitecold on Sat 31 Dec 2016 01:24

I hope to keep up a weekly turn cycle if possible, but I expect it will slow down as the NPR amass, with my time available in the end being the bottleneck. As far as the starting date goes, the idea would be as soon as possible, but at the same time I don't want to rush setup, universe generation, working out the scenario, and the homerules.
Whitecold
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby thebard on Sat 31 Dec 2016 05:02

Yes I'm interested, but . . .

I suggest that you ask Lomn about his experience: how much time each turn took, the amount of work he put in,
suggestions to smooth over problems that arise etc.

I really appreciate the time that he spent on the campaign.

Also I have a couple of questions - having looked at current topics on the fórum:
1) How are you going to deal with planetary invasions? Hope that the new rules come ouit before they happen?
2) Small craft. Maybe use current rules for all except FG and GB - hoping that new rules come before you get there?

And here's an implicit question for Cralis - any idea when these changes come out?

I remember the almost child-like feeling as I checked my email, waiting for the next turn to come from Lomn. Yes, I'm interested.
thebard
Commander
Commander

Postby nukesnipe on Sat 31 Dec 2016 11:17

Whitecold wrote:I hope to keep up a weekly turn cycle if possible, but I expect it will slow down as the NPR amass, with my time available in the end being the bottleneck. As far as the starting date goes, the idea would be as soon as possible, but at the same time I don't want to rush setup, universe generation, working out the scenario, and the homerules.

You could always limit or eliminate NPRs...

Limiting the economy would serve to limit fleet size, which should speed up tactical play.

Just some thoughts. ;-)
Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Captain
Captain

Postby VoidStalker_WoE on Sat 31 Dec 2016 15:52

I might be available to occasionally play the part of an NPR Admiral (This is both the most I could do, participation wise, and the least harm my newbie ness could do to the game), for some low tech fleet actions and the like. Does this sound OK?
VoidStalker_WoE
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby VoidStalker_WoE on Sat 31 Dec 2016 16:01

nukesnipe wrote:
Whitecold wrote:I hope to keep up a weekly turn cycle if possible, but I expect it will slow down as the NPR amass, with my time available in the end being the bottleneck. As far as the starting date goes, the idea would be as soon as possible, but at the same time I don't want to rush setup, universe generation, working out the scenario, and the homerules.

You could always limit or eliminate NPRs...

Limiting the economy would serve to limit fleet size, which should speed up tactical play.

Just some thoughts. ;-)
I have no personal experience with running any modern strategic version campaign of Starfire, but from what I have read here, it seems like the runaway economic growth is the real game killer, as too much money, made to easily and to early, leads to way to much, way too soon, and then...

So limiting economic expansion drastically, even if just for the express purpose of limiting the workload on the SM seems like the right way to go. Also, if you combine much slower economic expansion, and DON'T nerf the NPC's, then you might just end up with a game where players have to fight to survive, with much smaller economies/fleets right from the start, and a series of critical, but very small, tactical battles could make for a very interesting story.
VoidStalker_WoE
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Next

Return to Solar Starfire