Play-by-email Forum Game

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Play-by-email Forum Game

Postby eoghantodd on Tue 28 Mar 2017 11:44

I adore the new/old spreadsheet so definitely could help with some NPRs.
eoghantodd
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby eoghantodd on Sun 30 Apr 2017 12:55

Any progress or updates? I'm running a game with a group of friends that's moving along nicely, so jonesing a bit to create and run my own species...:)
eoghantodd
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Whitecold on Mon 01 May 2017 00:21

Unfortunately, as always, life takes up more time than planned. I tried some galaxy generation, but so far I have been unhappy with the standard result in terms of WP connectivity, as it is way too blobby for my taste.
Two other things are holding me back, for one I had hoped to hear back from procyon about his smallcraft system, specifically its hull table, as the entire system does affect already st, which people will build at the start of the game.
The second is I tried to somehow estimate the impact of my proposed facility system. While multiple people spoke about being interested, it is lacking feedback so far, making me wary of just starting with the numbers I came up with so far.

The List of people who were interested in one part or another
nukesnipe
misanthropope
Pete Keller
Sunwolf

GunBunny
eoghantodd

VoidStalker_WoE
Whitecold
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby eoghantodd on Mon 01 May 2017 11:28

I'll have to look at your facilities ideas and give some feedback; I understand wanting the small craft fixes to begin with.

As for 'blobby', not sure what that means, exactly. I had some issues myself with generating for the game I'm running, and wound up coming up with a system to generate the links by hand that wasn't too grindy, although I'm purposefully not having all the links generated to begin with.

I'm using the 80% 'near' 20% 'far' system from the rules, where I roll a d10 and on a 1-8, I roll a d20 and add the result to the system number, or subtract, depending on even or odd. On a 9 or 10, I randomly determine off my whole list. If it's an impossible link, I just roll again.

But I also did some hand selecting and fiddling to give a spoke and wheel setup to part of it, and also hand selecting some systems close to players to balance their starting areas.
eoghantodd
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Whitecold on Tue 02 May 2017 14:02

eoghantodd wrote:I'm using the 80% 'near' 20% 'far' system from the rules, where I roll a d10 and on a 1-8, I roll a d20 and add the result to the system number, or subtract, depending on even or odd. On a 9 or 10, I randomly determine off my whole list. If it's an impossible link, I just roll again.

But I also did some hand selecting and fiddling to give a spoke and wheel setup to part of it, and also hand selecting some systems close to players to balance their starting areas.

The Elminster galaxy generator uses the same as far as I know. However it does not form any recognizable clusters, which is not that surprising, as the +/-10 gives you a band of systems that get connected, without any boundaries.
I don't feel like I will keep any overview of what is how close to what given the current layout, and I really don't want to have somebody start between two advanced hostile empires, or suddenly realize two player home systems are only three jumps away
Whitecold
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby GunBunny on Wed 10 May 2017 18:21

Whitecold,

Understand about the life and time stream. Still interested here. I have to say that with the lack of local players for me the opportunity to play at all is paramount. I only have the vanilla version of star fire so all the modifications you mention I have little experience with, but that is not enough for me to turn down the chance to play. So I will gladly adopt any recommendations that experienced players are giving towards what inclusions of modified rules are added.

Gunbunny
GunBunny
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby Vandervecken on Wed 10 May 2017 22:53

Well, Whitecold; my old nemesis (but never my enemy). I have spoken to my wife and she has agreed that I could once again get involved in another email game of Solar Starfire. So whoever gets their game going as a GM first can count me in. Wish I could use the old K3 rules (no limits to pluses or minuses as long as the net was 10 racial points when totaled) but I can survive with a blander race, hehehee.

P.S. - I hate gunboats and think the old, old fighter rules (1st & 2nd editions) were more elegant. But I'll play just about any version/variant of SOLAR.

This is a limited time offer - I'd have to check with the wife again in another 4 months if I'm not already playing, and therefore committed, to someone's campaign.
I weary of the chasssse. Wait for me. I will be mercccciful and quick.
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Whitecold on Sun 14 May 2017 01:58

Vandervecken wrote:P.S. - I hate gunboats and think the old, old fighter rules (1st & 2nd editions) were more elegant. But I'll play just about any version/variant of SOLAR.

I unfortunately don't have the old fighter rules at all. Procyon's approach makes me want to actually try use some smcft on my own instead of just being able to fight them off.

As for preparation, I made a script once to connect WPs using different algorithms, unfortunately it was in mathematica and my license expired, and I couldn't figure out how to get a new home license from my university so I rewrote the thing in python.
Whitecold
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Whitecold on Fri 09 Jun 2017 10:26

Just to give whoever is looking here an update:
Between all the time sucked up in the lab and messing round with factorio, I have been adapting the spreadsheets so they keep track of all the facility homerules, and I have been making progress on generating the map/now starting on NPRs.
Unfortunately still nothing new on procyon's smcft system.
Whitecold
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Cralis on Wed 14 Jun 2017 13:44

Whitecold, didn't you have a similar squadron system already designed? why don't you use that?
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

PreviousNext

Return to Solar Starfire