My Quick Rules Questions All in One Place

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

My Quick Rules Questions All in One Place

Postby eoghantodd on Mon 27 Mar 2017 19:49

Can AB have IU? The rules say can be purchased on /planets/ with Small or Larger Populations. An belt can have a total population that reaches Small even if we know its spread out around the belt and not concentrated on one asteriod.
Last edited by eoghantodd on Tue 28 Mar 2017 15:30, edited 1 time in total.
eoghantodd
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Quick Question about IU and Asteroid Belts

Postby Xveers on Mon 27 Mar 2017 19:59

To the best of my knowledge asteroids cannot have IU at all.
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Cralis on Mon 27 Mar 2017 22:45

eoghantodd wrote:Can AB have IU? The rules say can be purchased on /planets/ with Small or Larger Populations. An belt can have a total population that reaches Small even if we know its spread out around the belt and not concentrated on one asteriod.

I don't recall exactly where it says it, but AB are a conglomeration of outposts and HGT are a conglomeration of colonies and settlements. They are never intended to be treated as if they were a larger population.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby eoghantodd on Tue 28 Mar 2017 11:43

Makes complete sense since the description of IU says /planet/ with population of Small or larger just wanted to make sure. Since fluff wise it also says that AB colonies are predominantly industrial/commercial, which is why they don't get population bumps for growth. The population essentially /is/ the industry so that all makes sense. :)
eoghantodd
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: My Quick Rules Questions All in One Place

Postby eoghantodd on Tue 28 Mar 2017 15:32

So I'm trying to figure out why after EL 3 one would use a (SYM) instead of (MS)? I'm sure I'm missing functionality but I'm hunting through the construction rules and not finding an advantage to (SYM). At EL 3, a (MS) can build 16 HS per turn, and a (SYM) can build 12 HS per turn, and it only gets worse after that. Again, sure I'm missing something somewhere.

Edit: Found it. I kept looking in charts and found it in M1.02.2. Surprised they can't do squadron smcft.
eoghantodd
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Cralis on Tue 28 Mar 2017 23:45

eoghantodd wrote:So I'm trying to figure out why after EL 3 one would use a (SYM) instead of (MS)? I'm sure I'm missing functionality but I'm hunting through the construction rules and not finding an advantage to (SYM). At EL 3, a (MS) can build 16 HS per turn, and a (SYM) can build 12 HS per turn, and it only gets worse after that. Again, sure I'm missing something somewhere.

Edit: Found it. I kept looking in charts and found it in M1.02.2. Surprised they can't do squadron smcft.

That's one rule that we left out of the last version. This is being added in the next version:

M1.02.2.3 Machine Shops (MS)
(MS) cannot do any kind of Build Project but can do all of the other types of Projects, unless the Project description says otherwise.

You can find it in the official errata for v6.02 at viewtopic.php?f=61&t=1528&p=25301#p25301
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby GunBunny on Wed 29 Mar 2017 06:50

Sorry for the Hijack

Since fluff wise it also says that AB colonies are predominantly industrial/commercial, which is why they don't get population bumps for growth

Where is this listed? I looked for it in section L but came up empty. In terms of Bump do you mean raising EL?

At EL 3, a (MS) can build 16 HS per turn, and a (SYM) can build 12 HS per turn

I may have missed this but Table M1.01 would lead me to believe that at EL3 the (SYM) would be only 11 HS per turn, and (MS) would be 15 HS per turn. Just wondering if I am reading it right.
GunBunny
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby Elminster on Wed 29 Mar 2017 07:29

GunBunny wrote:
At EL 3, a (MS) can build 16 HS per turn, and a (SYM) can build 12 HS per turn

I may have missed this but Table M1.01 would lead me to believe that at EL3 the (SYM) would be only 11 HS per turn, and (MS) would be 15 HS per turn. Just wondering if I am reading it right.

Well, the formula for SY and MS is "10 + (2 × EL)", so "10 + (2 × 3)" = 16 HS

But for SYM it is actually way worse:
(10 + (2 × EL))/3 (FRU)
(10 + (2 × 3))/3 (FRU)
(10 + 6)/3 (FRU)
16/3 (FRU)
= 5.33 (FRU) = 6 HS
In memory of Gary Gygax
In memory of Leonard Nimoy
In memory of Christopher Lee

In memory of Albert Einstein
E = MC^2 + 1d10
Elminster
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby GunBunny on Wed 29 Mar 2017 11:11

5.33 (FRU) = 6 HS

You're right, I missed a pair of () and mistook a x for a +. Sad math problem for me!
GunBunny
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby Cralis on Thu 30 Mar 2017 08:19

GunBunny wrote:Sorry for the Hijack

Since fluff wise it also says that AB colonies are predominantly industrial/commercial, which is why they don't get population bumps for growth

Where is this listed? I looked for it in section L but came up empty. In terms of Bump do you mean raising EL?

The EL Growth Bonus is explained at L1.04.3

The Growth Bonus is also listed under Table L1 and you'll see that both types of Belts (AB and HGT) do not get a growth bonus. The lack of Growth Bonus is also listed under L1.02.3 ... though curiously, L1.02.3 should also list that they don't get regular growth either. I'll have to toss that into the errata.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Next

Return to Solar Starfire