Shield Generator

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Shield Generator

Postby SCC on Sat 22 Jul 2017 23:56

OK L1.05.2 reads: Shields are not “destroyed” when they are knocked out. Accordingly, a unit loses no personnel points from “damage” to shields unless the shield generator itself is destroyed." which suggests to me that there is, or is supposed to be, an actual shield generator systems record on control cards, yet this is the only rule that mentions them, is this a typo or something else?
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Shield Generator

Postby procyon on Sun 23 Jul 2017 02:31

Really limited time to reply, so someone else will have to do the leg work on the exact rule location.

SCC wrote:unless the shield generator itself is destroyed

The rule is/was that the shield generator itself can actually be targeted by precision weapons using specific targeting. So you Fp could destroy the generator on a shield (which already had to be down) preventing it from being reset.

The rule was in a rather odd place, and not in D as I remember.
...and I will show you fear in a handful of dust....

Cralis wrote:I would point out that the "what was" which is different from "here and now" can easily change in the "future then."
procyon
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

Postby SCC on Sun 23 Jul 2017 02:44

That's interesting procyon, because I found this in the Shield rules: "Shields are the left-most system on the Ship Control Sheet, but do not have a discrete internal system as the generators and projectors are mounted through-out the ship."
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Cralis on Mon 24 Jul 2017 01:00

You are both correct.

"S" as a system on the Ship Control Sheet does not denote the actual shield system, but rather the shielding effect. Shields are distributed systems so they are much more difficult to destroy. I do recall that there was an intent to allow precision weapons to choose to destroy the actual shield system.

But like Procyon, I can't seem to find the location in the rules. I'm thinking that it should have been at D4.03.1.5.3 or D4.03.1.5.4
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby SCC on Mon 24 Jul 2017 03:16

Cralis, the searched the entirety the of current rules for generators after prycon posted (Which is what caused me bring up the bit from AA.S) with no luck
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Cralis on Mon 24 Jul 2017 15:19

SCC wrote:Cralis, the searched the entirety the of current rules for generators after prycon posted (Which is what caused me bring up the bit from AA.S) with no luck

Me too. But I went one step further and it's not in ULTRA either. So I'm wondering if Marvin took it out after Classic or Galactic Starfire.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby procyon on Mon 24 Jul 2017 20:26

It is in Ultra.

It was D4.01.1.E1
But it is not in the current set of rules.

Cralis wrote:I would point out that the "what was" which is different from "here and now" can easily change in the "future then."
procyon
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

Postby Cralis on Tue 25 Jul 2017 02:08

procyon wrote:It is in Ultra.

It was D4.01.1.E1
But it is not in the current set of rules.

Oh what the heck. I did a search for "precision" and skipped right past that. My apologies. Of course I almost missed it again because I looked at D4.01-E-E1 and thought that was what you were talking about... :oops:

Ok. Question: does it matter? I have to confess, I've never targeted shields with precision weapons. I've always blasted weapons, engines, Q, and sometimes a few other things. But I'm not going to bother with doing permanent S damage in a large battle, and by the time you stop blasting a freighter or other ship for capture whether it can regenerate shields scarcely matters.

I searched the SDS section and looked through my notes and I don't see that we decided this: but I could see the argument that the distributed nature of shields could preclude any ability to permanently take them down.

What do all of you think?
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby procyon on Tue 25 Jul 2017 02:21

Cralis wrote:Ok. Question: does it matter? I have to confess, I've never targeted shields with precision weapons. I've always blasted weapons, engines, Q, and sometimes a few other things. But I'm not going to bother with doing permanent S damage in a large battle, and by the time you stop blasting a freighter or other ship for capture whether it can regenerate shields scarcely matters.

The only time I have ever seen my players take out shields on a vessel was when we were testing out various boarding rules. If the shields could prevent it - then taking them out permanently instead of risking damage to a ship attacking it with other weapons to knock the shields back down periodically - was worth the effort to take the shields out.

But otherwise, I don't know that it would matter. This rule may date to a time when 'boarding' wasn't completely off the table yet - which would have made it matter more.

With the rules as they stand - not being able to take out shields isn't exactly a big deal.

But having said that - there is one other time that shield generators can go down permanently...
And I have actually seen it happen 'in game'.
L7.02 can take out a shield permanently.

procyon
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

Return to Solar Starfire