In Soviet Russia Planet Tractors

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

In Soviet Russia Planet Tractors

Postby SCC on Wed 16 Aug 2017 03:58

More or less the topic: What happens if a (PDC on a) planet tries to tractor you? As far as I'm aware the Golden Rules doesn't prevent PDC's from mounting tractor beams, so they can mount them, and they can (try) to use them, but what happens if it succeeds? I'm guessing that you move one hex towards the planet each turn, but once you enter the planets hex do you automatically enter it's atmosphere and are destroyed? If so that got to be the most powerful SRW in the game.

Can other PDC's on the planet use tractor guidance links to hit your target? How many HS of pulling power does it take to move a planet?
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
 
Posts: 739
Joined: Fri 08 Mar 2013 15:11

Re: In Soviet Russia Planet Tractors

Postby Cralis on Wed 16 Aug 2017 13:22

SCC wrote:More or less the topic: What happens if a (PDC on a) planet tries to tractor you? As far as I'm aware the Golden Rules doesn't prevent PDC's from mounting tractor beams,


That's not how the golden rule works. It literally goes "if it does not say that you can, then you cannot."

In any case, I refer you to E5.10 in SSF v6.02
Image
User avatar
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member
 
Posts: 10198
Joined: Tue 30 Jun 2009 19:27
Location: Oregon, USA

Re: In Soviet Russia Planet Tractors

Postby SCC on Wed 16 Aug 2017 19:09

Cralis wrote:
SCC wrote:More or less the topic: What happens if a (PDC on a) planet tries to tractor you? As far as I'm aware the Golden Rules doesn't prevent PDC's from mounting tractor beams,


That's not how the golden rule works. It literally goes "if it does not say that you can, then you cannot."

That's true enough, but that means I need a whitelist of items that I CAN mount, which means they would be limited to, off the top of my head, FAC and Armor.
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
 
Posts: 739
Joined: Fri 08 Mar 2013 15:11

Re: In Soviet Russia Planet Tractors

Postby Cralis on Wed 16 Aug 2017 19:21

SCC wrote:That's true enough, but that means I need a whitelist of items that I CAN mount, which means they would be limited to, off the top of my head, FAC and Armor.


I think you took where I sent you in the wrong direction. T can be mounted on large units. A PDC is a large unit. However, T on a PDC on a planet or moon cannot be used.

It's not that you are prevented from mounting T on a PDC. It's that the only use for T on a PDC is expensive armor.
Image
User avatar
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member
 
Posts: 10198
Joined: Tue 30 Jun 2009 19:27
Location: Oregon, USA

Re: In Soviet Russia Planet Tractors

Postby SCC on Wed 16 Aug 2017 23:19

Ah, I thought you were saying that as there's no rule that says they can, that means they can't; this seems to break down a bit with ships and other large units, I can't remember or find a rule about regular Bases not mounting engines as an example.
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
 
Posts: 739
Joined: Fri 08 Mar 2013 15:11


Return to Solar Starfire

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron