No more combo research?

Home of SOLAR STARFIRE, 6th edition, rules based on the upcoming history of the Terran Solar Union.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

No more combo research?

Postby Xveers on Wed 24 Jan 2018 01:07

Was looking through my copy of Solar, and I couldn't find the rules for combo research. Guess this is something that was removed a while back? Can kind of understand, it was a bit of a fiddly corner case that had some special rules and was pretty easy to abuse.
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Combo research in N9.06

Postby Lomn on Wed 24 Jan 2018 11:17

Rule N9.06. I always miss it because:
(1) it's a really short section not linked elsewhere
(2) It doesn't return a search result on "combo" or "combination", which are the two words I usually try first.

I would suggest a mention/link in N2.05 (Developing Tech Items). "In certain circumstances, tech items can be developed in conjunction with their associated SL [N9.06]."

Also, it feels sort of shoehorned into N9. It's an acceleration in that you're running a project (the item) that you couldn't normally hit the prereq for, but all of the other accel types have some sort of bonus RP (but may or may not do anything about prereqs) and combo R&D explicitly doesn't permit most of the generic accel types. Not a big deal, and probably a matter of perspective. But that's the other half of why it's hard for me to find each time, because I'm looking in N2 or N4 ("it goes in an RDS") or N6 ("it costs something extra"), not accel ("I'm just buying RP Rate").

...and then I type all that and actually run the search for "N9.06 isn't linked elsewhere" and find that it's in the header for N2. So maybe it's just hard to read a 400-page document? I do think I've got a general blind spot to content in the initial paragraph before section ?#.01.
Lomn
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: No more combo research?

Postby Cralis on Wed 24 Jan 2018 16:43

My apologies Xveers, I think you posted that after I had opened the forum to post about the miniatures.

Lomn, your point is a good one. I know that I have a change note for the combination research rules, but I'm at work and can't remember what we were going to do to make it more clear. I know that I had been thinking about formalizing the process instead of treating it as a straight exception. And I recall that I also thought that it was a poor fit as "tech acceleration"
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Xveers on Thu 25 Jan 2018 00:24

Thanks Lomn! I must have run right over that rule a dozen times. Good to know I wasn't going mad :D
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Cralis on Thu 25 Jan 2018 01:12

Actually, looking up N9.06 that is about combining an SL project and a tech project at the same SL at the same time. Xveers, are you talking about that or special cases like these?

-- AA.Smcft.01 for Bay Development with the first small craft developed
-- AA.B?.01.1 for developing Bf or Bg and the squadron at the same time
-- AA7.06 for magazines developed with a launcher

Etc.

These are what I have a note about making changes. The reason is that these cases do exist and there is no formal method for handling them, they are all special cases. But if this isn't what you were thinking about, I'll keep that note to myself :)

Although I do have a "question" note about N9.06, asking whether we should introduce some sort of risk for the combined project. While the cost is 125% of the combined SL and tech project's costs, it only requires the target RP for the SL project alone, allowing for a huge potential savings in time. The note asks whether we should treat combined projects as N7.01.3 critical projects to illustrate that trying to create the science and develop the tech at the same time has the potential to lead both teams astray...
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Xveers on Thu 25 Jan 2018 02:01

Nope. I meant basic combo research where you're researching the SL and the item at the same time.

And while it is a potentially huge savings in time, the inability to do any kind of acceleration on it really does handcuff it pretty seriously. Perhaps make it akin to critical research, where it needs two successes to complete and comes with a slightly increased chance to lose RP?
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Cralis on Thu 25 Jan 2018 02:28

I see that I wrote "critical project" instead of "critical research" :)

I think we are on the same page.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Return to Solar Starfire