Trade Networks

A place for all those house rules and custom campaign ideas from the players.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Trade Networks

Postby Dawn Falcon on Mon 03 Nov 2014 11:19

Thought I'd post one of my answers to the issue of trade, which I came up with five years ago.
Solar's moved in a different direction with Trade Hubs, but I still prefer this;

The answer to this (Trade) is not to consider single trade treaties, but the trade network behind trade treaties. Think Europe, 1600's, with it's chokepoints everywhere, rather than trade at sea. And yet goods did cross the continent.

Let's take this for now:
Restricted, 2.5%
Limited, 5%
Free, 7.5%

Except...you don't then immediately get that income in MC. Instead, the MC value is added to the value of the Trade Network. Your income is based off your "trade factor": 12 for each free trade treaty, 7 for a limited and 3 for a restricted*. Add all the trade factors together, your fraction of those is the percentage of the pool in potential income.

(*yes, this is biased towards higher trade treaties. I admit that's a personal thought and it could simply be 3/2/1 if that's overly complex.)

Let's say we have races A, B, C, D and E. Each has 10,000 PU.

Race A has RT agreements with B and C.
Race B has LT agreements with D and E.
Race C has FT agreements with D and E.
Race D has a FT agreement with E

Given they all have 10,000 PU, a RT treaty is worth 250MC, a LT 500MC and a FT 750MC.

A: 1 RT, trade factor 3, adds 250MC to the pool
B: 1 RT 2 LT, trade factor 17, 750MC to the pool
C: 1 RT 2 FT, trade factor 27, 1750 MC to the pool
D: 1 LT 2 FT, trade factor 31, 2000 MC to the pool
E: 1 LT 2 FT, trade factor 31, 2000 MC to the pool

So the total is 109 trade factors and 6750MC.

A would have a potential trade income of 186 MC.
B would have a potential trade income of 1052 MC.
C would have a potential trade income of 1672 MC.
D would have a potential trade income of 1919 MC.
E would have a potential trade income of 1919 MC.

Now race F comes along and makes a FT trade treaty with D. It's F first trade treaty, and they report 5000PU. We only need to reconsider D and F directly;

D now has 1 LT 3 FT, trade factor 53, 2375 MC to the pool.
F has 1 FT, trade factor 12, 375 MC to the pool.

The pool is now thus 133 trade factors and 6750MC.

A would have a potential trade income of 152 MC.
B would have a potential trade income of 863 MC.
C would have a potential trade income of 1370 MC.
D would have a potential trade income of 2690 MC.
E would have a potential trade income of 1573 MC.
F would have a potential trade income of 609 MC.

Startup fees? Likely based on who's offering the treaty (or a split based on that).

There are some fairly subtle effects with this, which help smaller races plugging into the network and encouraging races to keep on increasing trade treaties even over their cap, since other empires will lose income even if they don't gain any...

Trade in MC would be capped at 50% of Empire PU, and trade income could only increase by 1% of your Empire's PU per month (No limits on decreases, however). Espionage would gain a bonus based off your (relative) trade factor.

You can recalculate every 5 turns if necessary to keep the work down, but it's pretty simple if using spreadsheet support.
Dawn Falcon
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Return to House Rules