New World/Life-Type And Colony Cost Adjustment

A place for all those house rules and custom campaign ideas from the players.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

New World/Life-Type And Colony Cost Adjustment

Postby SCC on Fri 22 Sep 2017 21:57

I developed to new world-type/life-form rules because what we have at the moment isn't that realistic, see Procyon's houserules, however it's not as harsh as those. Additionally it deals with the case of pre-Oxygen Catastrophe Earth. Earth hasn't always had an oxygen/nitrogen atmosphere and in fact possessing such an atmosphere requires the planet to have life. Before this Earth had a methane based atmosphere, so I propose adding a new planet type, M, that matches this. When rolling for planets in the Bioshpere zone a roll of 1-4 now generates a B type planet, 5-7 a T type and 8-0 the new M type. Similarly ant time system generation generates a mT, T, or ST planet there's a 50% chance that a mM, M, or SM planet is generated instead.

M Class planets are extreme to T and ST life, and the reverse is true for M life, which is otherwise treated the same as T Life. I am thinking that due to the conditions involved M Life should be rared then T Life. There a no HGT that have a methane atmosphere.

The colony costs adjustment is somewhat more nebulous at this point, but the idea is that the cost to establish a colony goes up if the target body isn't within the two steps HI rule, and there's also an added cost for each step of mass difference. Together the aim her is that if you do system generation and it says you've got T Life arising on a HGT or mT, it's better represented in the game, because as things stand their homeworld isn't that nice of a place for them to live.
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: New World/Life-Type And Colony Cost Adjustment

Postby Cralis on Sat 23 Sep 2017 21:24

SCC wrote:I developed to new world-type/life-form rules because what we have at the moment isn't that realistic, see Procyon's houserules, however it's not as harsh as those. Additionally it deals with the case of pre-Oxygen Catastrophe Earth. Earth hasn't always had an oxygen/nitrogen atmosphere and in fact possessing such an atmosphere requires the planet to have life. Before this Earth had a methane based atmosphere, so I propose adding a new planet type, M, that matches this.

When I first started these Starfire forums, one of the things that I posted was a complete overview of the complex system generation rules that I had developed a decade and a half ago. One of the differences was that I accounted for a variety of different types of atmospheres other than N-O.

But we've never brought that detail forward because we never felt that breaking that detail out of the Habitability Index would not bring anything specific to the game that was better then where it is right now. Breaking out atmosphere types would specifically reduce the number of T/ST that would match any particular race. And under the current rules, I don't see how that is beneficial. Reducing the number of benign worlds would make them more rare, and making them more rare makes the "luck of the dice" a larger factor in the early game.

M Class planets are extreme to T and ST life, and the reverse is true for M life, which is otherwise treated the same as T Life. I am thinking that due to the conditions involved M Life should be rared then T Life. There a no HGT that have a methane atmosphere.

The colony costs adjustment is somewhat more nebulous at this point, but the idea is that the cost to establish a colony goes up if the target body isn't within the two steps HI rule, and there's also an added cost for each step of mass difference. Together the aim her is that if you do system generation and it says you've got T Life arising on a HGT or mT, it's better represented in the game, because as things stand their homeworld isn't that nice of a place for them to live.

Right now changes in HI change the world from benign to harsh to hostile. While I understand it's not as fine of a change as adjusting the price by slight amounts per HI difference, isn't the change in environment (and thus the change in cost and requirements for colonization of those worlds) effectively the same thing?
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Return to House Rules