PCF

Home of Classic Starfire, the 3rd edition of Starfire, based on the novels by David Weber, Steve White, and Charles Gannon.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: PCF

Postby szurkey on Sun 13 Sep 2015 12:10

captnchuck wrote:What size in real world terms would you make them?
Divisions or Brigades?

I am working on a game for me and my friends. The space will be Starfire the ground a missmash of my own design

Years ago there was a previous player attempt, that was never fully finished. It was called "Dirtfire." Does anyone else remember this or know where copy of the text can be found?
szurkey
Commander
Commander

Postby LordKron on Sun 13 Sep 2015 13:44

We had a discussion on the recently in another thread. IIRC we were thinking of company sized for a PCF.
LordKron
Commander
Commander

Postby aramis on Mon 14 Sep 2015 05:11

Cralis wrote:Modern militaries generally work on a rule of 3 or 4.

3 or 4 men make a squad ( or with vehicles, a platoon)
3 or 4 squads make a platoon
3 or 4 platoons make a company
3 or 4 companies make a battalion
3 or 4 battalions make a regiment
etc.

Personally I think whether 3 or 4 depends on whether the officer who does unit organization likes symmetry or not...

Largely, it has to do with the number of squads in the company and number of companies in the regiment...

A battalion was ad-hoc until just before WW I in the US, and the Regiment was 8 companies of 12 squads (3 plt each of 2 sct, and the sect of 2 sqd ea).

The US Regiment was 8, 10, 12 or 16 companies, depending upon exactly when.
The UK Battalion was nominally 8 companies at the time...

Most people of the era who were numerate also thought in 12's... LSD money...

Also note: Unit sizes with direct command tend to limit to "monkeysphere" sizes... 100 to 150 men. (Roman Centuries, US and UK 19th C companies, an English knight and his company of foot...

The Battalion was ad-hoc in the US until about 1908. So were the Brigade and Division
The Battalion of the UK was directly equivalent to the US Regiment in that era. Nominally 8 companies. 4 company "wings" were sometimes formed ad-hoc.
aramis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby LordKron on Mon 14 Sep 2015 11:00

If you look at transport capacity of Q for crew purposes, and how many Q it takes to transport one PCF, you can extrapolate unit size. For example, in my fiction I use 10 people per HS, so one Q has max 500 person limit. Allow that PCF requires more gear that wouldn't be carried in H (persomal equipment, weapons etc) and fivure company size as close to 200 (line platoons, hq, support squads etc). One PCF per Q IIRC.
LordKron
Commander
Commander

Postby Xveers on Mon 14 Sep 2015 21:05

I did some math a few months (years? It's been a while), where I crunched out how many troops per m3 modern assault transports can carry. I used m3 since that's the one fairly hard bit of reference in the game universe that couples a design parameter to a real measurement. Comparing the modern Tarawa, Rogov, and I think I did the newer America class, it works out that each 8000m3 (one HS) of rough volume is enough to carry about 200 and change combat troops and their associated gear (landing/air craft).

The thread where I did that math is on this forum somewhere, but I can't seem to find it.
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby LordKron on Tue 15 Sep 2015 02:31

I remember that thread. In checking back through 3rdR, those numbers aren't far off from mine. In non combat situations, a single Q can house 3 PCF. That comes out to about 170 men per PCF in my fiction. Prep them for combat (for example on an assault transport invading a planet) and it's one PCF per Q.

There was a time about 20 years ago that I was going to use the infanty and armor in the Battletech setting (no mechs until at least HT10), as the basis for ground combat in my ISF campaigns if anyone wanted to game battles out.
LordKron
Commander
Commander

Previous

Return to Classic Starfire