Legacy CD Question

Home of Classic Starfire, the 3rd edition of Starfire, based on the novels by David Weber, Steve White, and Charles Gannon.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Legacy CD Question

Postby the pugilist on Mon 02 Feb 2015 12:35

For those of you that have purchased it, is it a CD that is shipped physically or is it a download (like an ISO image)?

I'd prefer the latter but I'd understand if it were the former.

Thanks!
the pugilist
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Re: Legacy CD Question

Postby Cralis on Mon 02 Feb 2015 15:08

the pugilist wrote:For those of you that have purchased it, is it a CD that is shipped physically or is it a download (like an ISO image)?

Our CDs are created on-demand by a manufacturer and shipped out. They are professionally done with artwork by our own SDS member, Krenshala. In fact, I bought one just because it's cool looking!
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby the pugilist on Thu 05 Feb 2015 14:28

Thanks, I ordered mine! :)
the pugilist
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Postby LesMasters on Thu 05 Feb 2015 15:02

Hi, Matt

Has the legacy CD been updated with the recovered communiques? (Apologies if I missed that announcement.)

Les
LesMasters
Captain
Captain

Postby Cralis on Thu 05 Feb 2015 15:13

LesMasters wrote:Hi, Matt

Has the legacy CD been updated with the recovered communiques? (Apologies if I missed that announcement.)

You know, I have to apologize, I dropped the ball on getting the updated CD made. I've been trying to close another deal, keep pushing New Empires, and pushing a third project.

And I'm not sure if I'll be able to do it tonight as I'm going to be home after a 12 hour day... but I will email myself as a reminder and I have tomorrow afternoon off. I will make a real announcement after it is tested and uploaded. Deal?
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby LesMasters on Fri 06 Feb 2015 01:02

Deal :) Cheers, Matt.

Les
LesMasters
Captain
Captain

Postby Cralis on Sat 07 Feb 2015 15:37

Ok, so apparently the Rigellians don't want someone to know they are coming back or something... yesterday I totally rebuilt the Legacy CD information because I can't find the historical files and the current image file in the manufacturer's proprietary format somehow (for the first time ever) got corrupted.

Done.

Then I went to find a CD to burn it on today, to make the ACTUAL image that the software copies and uploads for the production.

DVD+R... no.
MDISC... definitely not.
DVD-RW... er, no.

Hmmmm... I don't have any blank CDRs. Crap. Ok, well I need to go out and get some. Since I promised to work on it, I figured I should let you know why it isn't done yet *sigh*

Information part is complete.
Rebuilt the entire file structure with the new stuff.
Now I just need to burn the CD, copy/upload, and send the data packet. And I'll be done.

Now to see who sells the right CDRs in town...
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Albireo on Sat 07 Feb 2015 19:35

I bought a CDROM from you within the last two or three years, so if you are missing any files, let me know. My data have not yet suffered any corruption.

hmmm. . . I copied all that content to my hard drive and have been moving them around trying to reorganize. My structure could be different from what you might be expecting. :roll: Some of my data, which I have not yet figured out yet, have not yet been moved.
Albireo
Captain
Captain

Postby Cralis on Sun 08 Feb 2015 03:52

Albireo wrote:I bought a CDROM from you within the last two or three years, so if you are missing any files, let me know. My data have not yet suffered any corruption.

Oh lord no, I'm using MDISCs for backups. I don't have corruption problems... the issue was that the copies of the ECs were bad before my time. Now that I have ALL of them, it's not a problem.

There are only a scattering of images and artwork that TFG owned and/or used by never handed to Marvin because they had already lost them.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Caplin on Wed 26 Aug 2015 18:27

I've been thinking about grabbing this myself at some point, as it would be nice to have all the 3rd Ed content in one place. I'm particularly intrigued by the magazines and scenario stuff.

I wish it were available electronically though, my Mac doesn't have a CD drive, and i haven't needed one for years. I guess I could buy one, but it seems kind of wasteful, even for me. ;) Maybe one day…
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were, but without it we go nowhere.
Caplin
Commander
Commander

Next

Return to Classic Starfire