SFA: Accessible Classic

Home of Classic Starfire, the 3rd edition of Starfire, based on the novels by David Weber, Steve White, and Charles Gannon.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

SFA: Accessible Classic

Postby Caplin on Sat 22 Aug 2015 14:26

I think I've finally settled on trying to use Starfire Assistant to play Classic SF, after experimenting with the various spreadsheets. I almost feel like it's cheating, or not quite Starfire, since I'm able to treat it kind of like a computer game.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that SFA is accessible, since it was written by the same person who would go on to create Aurora. That game was accessible entirely by accident, and the two programs seem to share some common genetic heritage, so to speak.

I think my biggest problem is going to be internalizing the rules, but the user interface certainly makes me feel more confident about eventually being able to do that. I can even seem to avoid the need for accessible maps, though they would still be nice. :)

A random question: when doing a New Empires SM2 start, how big do you make your space station? I know it needs to hold the ten Sy1, but I'm not sure what else I ought to put in there. I guess it's a matter of taste, up to a point.

By the way, I hope posting this in General is okay. The actual Classic forum doesn't seem to have much traffic.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were, but without it we go nowhere.
Caplin
Commander
Commander

Re: SFA: Accessible Classic

Postby Cralis on Sun 23 Aug 2015 12:41

Caplin wrote:I think I've finally settled on trying to use Starfire Assistant to play Classic SF, after experimenting with the various spreadsheets. I almost feel like it's cheating, or not quite Starfire, since I'm able to treat it kind of like a computer game.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that SFA is accessible, since it was written by the same person who would go on to create Aurora. That game was accessible entirely by accident, and the two programs seem to share some common genetic heritage, so to speak.

I haven't followed Aurora at all. SFA has some customizations that don't follow the rules exactly, so be aware of that.

I think my biggest problem is going to be internalizing the rules, but the user interface certainly makes me feel more confident about eventually being able to do that. I can even seem to avoid the need for accessible maps, though they would still be nice. :)

You still have to fight (or at least find a way to resolve) the battles.

A random question: when doing a New Empires SM2 start, how big do you make your space station? I know it needs to hold the ten Sy1, but I'm not sure what else I ought to put in there. I guess it's a matter of taste, up to a point.

A lot of players just build a single station with all ten SY in them. It's easier and more cost effective to protect. Although some players split them up between a few SS, while I've seen at least one player who put up 10 SS, one per SY.

By the way, I hope posting this in General is okay. The actual Classic forum doesn't seem to have much traffic.

I would point out that it's probably because nobody is posting there... :) If you want me to move this there, I can do that. I don't know how it works for you, but visually the forum icons change color when there are new posts in them, so if nobody posts in there, nobody will go in there.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Caplin on Sun 23 Aug 2015 15:08

Feel free to move it. Your point is well taken.

I can't imagine ten separate SS just for one shipyard a piece, but I guess it works. I'm still muddling through the turn 0 setup process. I think the feedback loop from SFA helps me feel like something is actually happening, if that makes any sense.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were, but without it we go nowhere.
Caplin
Commander
Commander

Postby coldsteel on Mon 22 Feb 2016 14:45

Caplin wrote: A random question: when doing a New Empires SM2 start, how big do you make your space station? I know it needs to hold the ten Sy1, but I'm not sure what else I ought to put in there. I guess it's a matter of taste, up to a point.

I usually threw in 6 BbL, one H and a Qs, for 18 st for inter-system colonization. Later I designed smaller SS with a SY, a BbS and a Qs/H. Built those with FT5/SYM then replicate themselves at colony worlds.
TFN: 2 BC, 4 CA, 2 CL, 8 DD
RPSA: 2 CV, 4 CA, 2 CL, 8 DD
civilian: 4 'FTx' (made FT out of 40K Imp Guard flamer tanks)
coldsteel
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby coldsteel on Mon 30 May 2016 17:38

I know it's been a while, but did you also get the Tutorial? It's pretty helpful to figure out the program...
TFN: 2 BC, 4 CA, 2 CL, 8 DD
RPSA: 2 CV, 4 CA, 2 CL, 8 DD
civilian: 4 'FTx' (made FT out of 40K Imp Guard flamer tanks)
coldsteel
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Caplin on Mon 30 May 2016 17:45

I did, thanks. :)

I ran into the problem of handling tactical battles in a reasonable way. SFA does a wonderful job with the campaign-level stuff, but it's difficult to deal with the other side of the coin, so to speak. I haven't looked at SF in a while, but every so often come back on this site and wonder if I can figure something out this time. :)
Caplin
Commander
Commander

Return to Classic Starfire