ISF Maintenance

Home of Classic Starfire, the 3rd edition of Starfire, based on the novels by David Weber, Steve White, and Charles Gannon.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

ISF Maintenance

Postby Caplin on Sat 29 Aug 2015 15:28

So I'm probably going to use the CFN to handle my maintenance payments, but I kind of want to understand how 15.10 works anyway. Any clarification would be appreciated.

So ships are required to mount enough holds to carry a month of maintenance supplies. A single H holds 500 MC worth. If we assume normal maintenance is less than 500 MC, do I not have to pay as long as the ship's onboard supplies hold out?

If I do have to pay, the ship can get resupplies either from an HT population, which presumably cost directly from that planet or system's wealth, or from a freighter. If I can't get supplies to ships, systems will begin to fail.

Do I have things right, more or less?
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were, but without it we go nowhere.
Caplin
Commander
Commander

Re: ISF Maintenance

Postby Cralis on Sun 30 Aug 2015 03:21

Caplin wrote:So I'm probably going to use the CFN to handle my maintenance payments, but I kind of want to understand how 15.10 works anyway. Any clarification would be appreciated.

So ships are required to mount enough holds to carry a month of maintenance supplies. A single H holds 500 MC worth. If we assume normal maintenance is less than 500 MC, do I not have to pay as long as the ship's onboard supplies hold out?

This is correct. It's part of the reason why small ships are ideal explorers as they can holds many months worth of maintenance. That, and they cost less...

If I do have to pay, the ship can get resupplies either from an HT population, which presumably cost directly from that planet or system's wealth, or from a freighter. If I can't get supplies to ships, systems will begin to fail.

Do I have things right, more or less?

Basically, as long as they can get resupplies (in the form of MC) from a population or straight from the CFN, they are good. If they miss a maintenance payment, then the bad things start happening. Also keep in mind that the missile fund in Sky Marshal #2 always works on the same cycle as maintenance. So if you can't draw maintenance, you can't draw new ordnance either.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Caplin on Sun 30 Aug 2015 10:57

Thanks. :) I can see why it would be a pain to track. I'm tempted to try it anyway,just for practice. I'm finding that as I go through the manual process for things like system generation I understand the game better. I guess that's working as intended.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were, but without it we go nowhere.
Caplin
Commander
Commander

Postby Cralis on Mon 31 Aug 2015 02:21

Caplin wrote:Thanks. :) I can see why it would be a pain to track. I'm tempted to try it anyway,just for practice. I'm finding that as I go through the manual process for things like system generation I understand the game better. I guess that's working as intended.

That's true of ANY game, no matter how simple or complex!
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Return to Classic Starfire