Interception scale

Home of Classic Starfire, the 3rd edition of Starfire, based on the novels by David Weber, Steve White, and Charles Gannon.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Interception scale

Postby Caplin on Mon 31 Aug 2015 11:41

So one of the changes I noticed between Classic and the later versions of SF is that the interception scale, and the map to go with it, seem to have been removed.

I think I grasp the concept of "zooming in," to a single system hex, and then doing so again to engage in tactical play. I read somewhere that the big map which came with ISF wasn't suitable for use at the interception level though, and I'm not quite sure why. Is it not the right size?

Was this another attempt to simplify play in general? I guess that interception is one more thing I won't have to worry about too much with SFA, but I'm still curious about it.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were, but without it we go nowhere.
Caplin
Commander
Commander

Re: Interception scale

Postby LordKron on Mon 31 Aug 2015 13:35

A single interception hex in ISF is 60 tactical hexes across or 30 LS IIRC. Given that a system hex is 12 LM, each hex is 24 interception hexes across. OTOH, the system map does match up to a single interception scale map, and as such, a second system map can be used when the tactical scale is triggered.
LordKron
Commander
Commander

Postby Caplin on Mon 31 Aug 2015 14:23

Ahh. My copy of 3rd revised says that an interception hex is 15 LS across. Given that, the interception map needs to be about 48x48. This is actually smaller than the system map.

While the non-cartesian nature of hex maps throws me for a loop, i think I follow now. I just need to read the rules carefully. :) Thanks for explaining.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were, but without it we go nowhere.
Caplin
Commander
Commander

Postby Cralis on Mon 31 Aug 2015 17:48

Caplin wrote:Ahh. My copy of 3rd revised says that an interception hex is 15 LS across. Given that, the interception map needs to be about 48x48. This is actually smaller than the system map.

3rd R changed it from 30 LS to 15 LS across because it changed the tactical hex from 1/2 LS to 1/4 LS across.

While the non-cartesian nature of hex maps throws me for a loop, i think I follow now. I just need to read the rules carefully. :) Thanks for explaining.

The interception map was removed because it almost never made any difference at all. Battles were almost universally complete before a single move was made at the interception scale. There are some players who tell stories of exceptions to that, but all-in-all it's pretty much the case, so it just seemed like an easy place to reduce complexity.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby LordKron on Tue 01 Sep 2015 08:12

I know thar the scale changed. I prefer David's scale, as if my alter ego Alexei Timoshenko ever gets back to writing, it's the setting that any potential stories will be in.
LordKron
Commander
Commander

Postby Cralis on Tue 01 Sep 2015 15:13

LordKron wrote:I know thar the scale changed. I prefer David's scale, as if my alter ego Alexei Timoshenko ever gets back to writing, it's the setting that any potential stories will be in.

No worries. I was just explaining so Caplin knew the reason for the apparent discrepancy he located.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby LordKron on Tue 01 Sep 2015 17:30

It's good to be back after 2 years away.
LordKron
Commander
Commander

Postby Cralis on Tue 01 Sep 2015 23:05

LordKron wrote:It's good to be back after 2 years away.

Wow!

I spent several years away deployed in the military, and unable to play Starfire, so I totally understand the feeling. So welcome back!
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby LordKron on Wed 02 Sep 2015 08:58

Unfortunately, my old computer gave up the ghost last year and with it went my access to AlexeiTimoshenko.
LordKron
Commander
Commander

Postby Cralis on Wed 02 Sep 2015 09:47

LordKron wrote:Unfortunately, my old computer gave up the ghost last year and with it went my access to AlexeiTimoshenko.

You do know that I can return your account to you if you had emailed me... right? I see you've moved to a gmail address, but that can be fixed too...
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Next

Return to Classic Starfire