Readiness States

Home of Classic Starfire, the 3rd edition of Starfire, based on the novels by David Weber, Steve White, and Charles Gannon.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Readiness States

Postby Caplin on Fri 04 Sep 2015 11:57

Hi All,

Section 06.00 of 3rd Ed Revised mentions that readiness state information is available from the SDS, because most of them are optional rules in SM2.

I was wondering if anybody knew where I could get his information? I can't seem to find it in the downloads section. ISF makes some mention of various readiness states, but doesn't really elaborate. :)
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were, but without it we go nowhere.
Caplin
Commander
Commander

Re: Readiness States

Postby LordKron on Fri 04 Sep 2015 14:01

I don't currently have a copy of ISF, but I may be able to help decipher what info is there. In most cases readiness doesn't come into play short of a combat situation. Even then, unless we're talkink about entry through an undefended WP, defending units have time to go from standby to alert status.
LordKron
Commander
Commander

Postby LordKron on Fri 04 Sep 2015 20:45

The old version of readiness states was in the original 3rd ed tactical rules. I have that and can help.
LordKron
Commander
Commander

Postby Caplin on Fri 04 Sep 2015 20:58

Well, all I have from ISF is the idea that you pay different amounts of maintenance depending on unit readiness in the previous month. There seem to be several of them, from mothballs all the way to GQ.

I'm rather curious if a lot of this info was reincorporated into Galactic and later versions. I seem to remember a much more extensive discussion of the topic in Ultra and Solar, at any rate.

I'd appreciate any info you or anybody else could give. :)
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were, but without it we go nowhere.
Caplin
Commander
Commander

Postby LordKron on Sat 05 Sep 2015 01:48

There were 5 readiness states.

1) Mothballed. Self explanatory. Ships are there for target practice by a hostile force.

2) Standby. Half engines running. Can receive but not transmit. No offensive or defensive systems manned. Takes 1 interception turn (30 minutes) to go to General Quarters.

3) Normal. Engines at full power. Communications and scanners fully operational. No other offensive or defensive systems manned. Takes 1 interception turn to go to General Quarters.

4) Alert. Engines, Communications, scanners and shields up. ECM1 and D partly manned. Higher level ECM offline. Weapons partly manned (takes a few tactical turns to bring them online). Roll 1D10 for activation. Carriers can have up to 25% of their fighters out as a CSP. Can be maintained indefinitely.

5) General Quarters. All systems fully operational. Can be maintained for 36 hours, after which the unit must drop to a lower readiness state for 36 hours for the crew to rest (if hostiles are detected the ship can go back to General Quarters)

WP assaults, or a fleet getting into a system undetected and surprising an enemy are about the only times readiness states come into play other than maintenance costs.
LordKron
Commander
Commander

Postby Caplin on Sat 05 Sep 2015 11:41

Thanks! I've been reading the Shiva Option for the first time recently, so got curious. One of these days I'll hopefully get my hands on all the scenarios for 3rd editionSF. Maybe I'll even be able to persuade somebody to try them with me. :)

Your information is appreciated.
Caplin
Commander
Commander

Postby LordKron on Sat 05 Sep 2015 20:55

The Legacy CD should have every scenario. Be advised that most of the scenarios from ISW-4 and Insurrection are massive and will require multiple players and several gaming sessions to complete. Accurate time keeping is essential, as you will most likely have units spread across multiple system hexes (even in the same system hex your units will most likely be several light minutes away from each other.

The best way to start are the purely tactical scenarios in 3rdR.
LordKron
Commander
Commander

Postby Cralis on Sat 05 Sep 2015 22:16

LordKron wrote:The Legacy CD should have every scenario. Be advised that most of the scenarios from ISW-4 and Insurrection are massive and will require multiple players and several gaming sessions to complete.

A common "modification" is to reduce all ship numbers to 1/4 normal. It seems to work pretty well and you'll still have hundreds of ships to deal with in the largest scenarios.

In the "Stars at War" supplement. It starts with very small scenarios of two ships and works up to large battles.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Xveers on Sun 06 Sep 2015 01:58

Cralis wrote:
LordKron wrote:

In the "Stars at War" supplement. It starts with very small scenarios of two ships and works up to large battles.

I will second using "Stars at War". Even some of the mid-ISW2 battles are fairly small (small enough to play out in a single evening) but have a good mix of ships. One of my favourites is "Diamond Cut Diamond".
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby LordKron on Sun 06 Sep 2015 07:10

The reason I don't start with Stars at War is that the scenarios are system level. The ones in 3rdR are purely tactical, so you can learn the tactic rules and get familiar with running multiple units, then progress to SAW.
LordKron
Commander
Commander

Next

Return to Classic Starfire